Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Inferno
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm going through with a good cleaning of my Gilligan's Island. I haven't played it since I got it and went straight into cleaning mode.

While cleaning I'm testing the different coils, motors etc. The previous owner had disconnected the island motor, unbeknownst to me until I was elbow deep in the game. I went into test mode and the island works fine for the first two or three steps (turns, stops, locks the island, moves on) until partway through the test the game just resets.

Another issue is that there's a credit dot that says the island opto's aren't working, yet the island starts and stops during test mode, so I'm not sure what that's about.

Any help with the resetting issue would be great.
Steve

#2 7 years ago

i found on my gilligan the more you play the game the better the island works... if it sits for a period of time ...thats when the issue starts up.... just try playing a few games and see if it comes around

1 week later
#3 7 years ago

Mine has the same problem. I figured out how the logic worked and researched rgp and decided I must need a new motor, but I never did get around to replacing it. First I'm going to take it out and drill out the rivets to see if it's something I can fix, one of these days...

#4 7 years ago

Well, drilling out the non-existent rivets didn't go so well , but I did futz with it some more to refresh my memory.

I discovered the island lock solenoid's locking pin had come unscrewed partway from the plunger, causing the pin to not retract as far as it should. I thought, that had to be it! But once I tightened it back up, it started resetting more often than ever!

Turns out the switch was now reliably not deactivating when the solenoid was not energized, telling the game that the pin was down when it in fact was not. So guess what happens when the island is locked but the game thinks it isn't? Yup, it tries to turn the island to seek the next locking position, but it can't turn, so the motor overloads and we get a reset!

A simple tweak of the switch blade and it hasn't reset since! Booyah!

#5 7 years ago

OMG, I proceeded to clean the ramp mech to make it stop sticking occasionally, and the damn resets started again! Argh! I hope that locking pin switch just needs a little more tweaking!

#6 7 years ago

If this is the issue, you should be able to remove the locking pin solenoid from the island, let it hang loose, and then testing the island should work smoothly?

1 month later
#7 7 years ago

So I've adjusted the switch blase and the island now operates in test mode without resetting, with the following caveats:
- you can hear the lock post activating before the island has reached its next station, with the pin hitting the underside of the island
- the game is still registering an "island error" in test mode.

#8 7 years ago

mine also has island error on start up of game ... it doesn't say it every time but when i play the game it might take a few balls in the island hole to activate it..then it works fine

2 weeks later
#9 7 years ago

Got GI put back together last night and had a few test plays. Island seems to be working fine and now the credit dot is gone too.

Looks like Gilligan is good to go!

#10 7 years ago

Good for you! Sadly, a new motor didn't solve my problem. I note the reset happens, oddly enough, when the motor DE-energizes! Now I'm thinking I should have started with the standard WPC reset troubleshooting checklist... Which I will do when I get around to it. I will report back eventually...

3 years later
#11 3 years ago

Can anyone confirm if this is a software glitch resolved by ROM update?

1 month later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from pbwiz:

Can anyone confirm if this is a software glitch resolved by ROM update?

I'm running L6 and I have this issue. What ROM version are you? I seem to reset every 3 or 4 rotations. Haven't taken ithe island apart yet, but will soon.

#13 3 years ago

Hi, I am restoring Gilligan for my friend, it has the same problem. He has changed the motor and pinball still resets. Tomorrow I am going to replace WPC power drived board. I will post my progress.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Nynda:

Hi, I am restoring Gilligan for my friend, it has the same problem. He has changed the motor and pinball still resets. Tomorrow I am going to replace WPC power drived board. I will post my progress.

Are you running the coil or motor test when it resets?

#15 3 years ago

Ok, so here is my approach. My game gave me resets during gameplay and during the motor test. Switches (island opto, lock switch) are working flawlessly. So I was suspicious of the Power Driver Board. After changing the Power Driver Board the island motor stopped causing restets. On the faulty board I replaced C8 capacitor (100mfd/100V) and since then no restes. In my case this helped. But as DanQverymuch wrote, it can be caused by switch misaligment so it is better to check everything.

1 week later
#16 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Are you running the coil or motor test when it resets?

Quoted from Nynda:

Ok, so here is my approach. My game gave me resets during gameplay and during the motor test. Switches (island opto, lock switch) are working flawlessly. So I was suspicious of the Power Driver Board. After changing the Power Driver Board the island motor stopped causing restets. On the faulty board I replaced C8 capacitor (100mfd/100V) and since then no restes. In my case this helped. But as DanQverymuch wrote, it can be caused by switch misaligment so it is better to check everything.

I experienced resets during motor tests and regular game play. I also noticed that the previous owner placed a capicator at the motor assuming to balance power to prevent the reset? I removed the hack. I have a fish tales which is the same driver board so I swapped out the power board and no more resets. The GI board is in rough shape. Toasty in spots. Although a rebuild kit seem like it would help as it appears one has never been applied to it. I'm on the fence about repairing it or just purchasing a rotton dog and calling it a day for the resets.
Now to add insult to injury, with the FT board installed the island does not stop when it should. The island lock switch engages, (retracts) motor turns the island, the lock switch releases but stops short of catching the slot that locks it into place.
My next steps are to play with the opto and the relay. This island business is a PITA. I'll update this thread, as I go through it, as I've noticed many GI threads become abandoned without resolution.

1 week later
#17 3 years ago

Instead of rebilding the PDB I've decided to purchase a rotton dog PDB so I can return the fish tales PDB to it's proper home and not have to deal with any more resets.
Looks like the motor draw from the island was enough to drag the voltage down causing the reset.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-resets-during-island-motor-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.