(Topic ID: 210319)

Gilligan's Island - Pop Bumpers light up but don't react to ball.

By jmiller1976

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ESD.jpg
R70 - J206-4.jpg
49480447-0A7E-4130-9718-B7A8520E972F (resized).jpeg
C4.jpg
37184C00-846C-487C-9B7D-448486B43DE6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1217 (resized).JPG
IMG_1204 (resized).JPG
IMG_1203 (resized).JPG
IMG_1204 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago

If you checked fuses and all is good with them.... Do you have a multimeter and know how to check continuity? Check continuity between J 207 and 206 -4 pins. Continuity is good then put an alligator clip wire on J 206-4 and the other end to your multimeter probe, either one. Lift the playfield. Find the green-yellow wire that is running from J207-4. Test it at the first switch it comes to. Usually this will be the one closest to the top of the playfield (bottom to you now that you have the playfield lifted). If continuity is good here keep moving down the playfield til you lose continuity. Probably wont have continuity though. No continuity at the first switch? This means a break between J206-4 and where you just tested. So likely on the plug itself that's on J207-4 is not making contact. If so its time to have a new plug crimped on and possible J 207-4 needs repining. If you do have continuity then you may have to start looking on the board for an issue. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Basically you need to hunt continuity between J207-4 and the playfield.

For giggles, pull J207 and plug to J206. Turn the game on. This way you at least eliminate if the issue is with the J207 pins or not.

#20 6 years ago

I was about to comment on this. Terryb is quite right and this method is very efficient. Sounds like you've got an issue on the board.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Should be quite repairable.

Agreed.

Does your manual have the schematic for the cpu? Are you good with a soldering iron? Worked on boards before? It can probably be repaired but board work is not to be taken lightly. You can mess up a board in a hurry.

#26 6 years ago

If you are worri about doing board work replacement CPU I believe is $175 from K's Arcade. Double verify that. I'm at work an cant look. Yeah I know, pinside not blocked but some sites are. They also do board work. Some places will give you a small amount for a non-working board. Maybe you could trade in for a new one and they put your roms on a new board.

But before all that use the logic probe and test following terryb's guide. Find out or sure where the problem lies. You may just feel up to the challenge. We all start somewhere.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from jmiller1976:

Well, I just double checked and noticed the bottom of the second battery bracket has corrosion. I’m starting to think I should just replace the board and upgrade to eliminate the batteries. What do you think? I’ve included a picture.

And here is the $10000 question. This comes to how bad you want to preserve the original board. $175 plus shipping for a new board. Here is how I figure it; How much time have you put into this and how much time will you be putting into it. How long has your game been down? Now how much is your time worth to you? I figure this typically by how much per hour my salary is. Many times when I think of it this way its more cost effective to just replace the board and let an interested party have the old one for low cost or trade in. This isn't to say you should give up. If you're just interested in learning and want to see it through by all means go for it. In the end you'll still have an old board with old connectors and some battery damage. Problems are likely to resurface. But you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you fixed it. But if you just want to play your game and forget about it get the new board. Not to say you'll never have an issue with a new board. Just less likely than and old one with battery damage.

Dealer's choice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 40.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-pop-bumpers-light-up-but-dont-react-to-ball?tu=maestro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.