(Topic ID: 127530)

Gilligan's Island - Island opto issue - Switch matrix/Diodes?

By Miguel351

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Miguel351
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've got a Gilligan's Island I'm working on for a guy. A few months ago I replaced the island motor opto and board as it wasn't registering at all, not even when I tested it by hand with a nice thick piece of plastic. Turned out the board was cracked and had a broken trace, hence the full replacement.

Went to check it out tonight on an unrelated issue(that got fixed), and after a couple of fun games, the island is turning and stopping in strange locations. Started up the switch edge test and the wheel opto is flickering and going crazy. I started checking other switches in the same row and column just as part of the standard testing procedure I've learned to do(thanks to previous experiences with my TZ).

Well, the strangeness ensued. The wheel opto is 77, when I hit the Top Eject switch, 67, the opto stops flickering and stays open. Then, I hit one or both of two other switches 62 and 72, and it affects the opto. It'll either get it flickering again or stop it. With all three depressed, 67, 62, and 72, the opto flickers.

I'm guessing it's a bad diode somewhere in the line, but it's been a while since I had my last class in switch matrix theory so I'm not 100% sure.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience? Solutions?

Thanks in advance!

#2 8 years ago

I would agree too Dude, bad diode. Bugger to check too, having to disconnect one leg of diode to test properly. Goof luck.

#3 8 years ago

It's also possible one leg of a diode snapped off of a switch and just needs to be soldered back on. I see this happen far more often than an actual diode failure.

#4 8 years ago

I would go with the diode probable snapped off before failure on a switch matrix. Not enough power going through there usually. Had the same problem on my STTNG. Just go through the row and column by hand and wiggle each diode. I bet one breaks loose

#5 8 years ago

Do a visual under the playfield on each switch for a broken diode lead.
Download manual here for reference:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1004/Bally_1991_Gilligan_s_Island_Manual.pdf
See Page 1-28 Switch Matrix

#6 8 years ago

The top eject, switch 67, was the only single switch that directly affected the opto's performance. I checked that diode and it was intact. I guess I should've put my DMM on it, too?

I guess a dead diode on switch 67 would really only affect switch 77 since switch 87 isn't used. Does that sound right?

#7 8 years ago

Bump

Any other ideas or suggestions on what/how to check?

#8 8 years ago

Had a buddy message me who is not on Pinside and asked me to post this response, as he's encountered it before. Here's his email to me:

The problem: after replacing the Island Opto board with a new one, the Island doesn't stop in the proper area.

The solution: The new opto switch in the new board is brighter than the original opto switch in the original board. The light beam from the opto transmitter actually goes through the green plastic of the island. What Barry did was "paint" the green, notched plastic black by using a thick black magic marker. It's worked perfectly since then.

#9 8 years ago

I'll give that a shot, can't hurt to try!

Out of curiosity, did his top eject hole affect that wheel opto the way this one does? Seems like one switch should have no bearing on what the other one does.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-island-opto-issues-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.