D8688298-BCCF-46AF-9CCE-65DC51615BDF (resized).jpeg
IMG_9534 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9528 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9535 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9516 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Gilligans Island restoration step 1

NOS playfield clearcoated.

IMG_9061 (resized).jpegIMG_9061 (resized).jpegIMG_9062 (resized).jpegIMG_9062 (resized).jpegIMG_9063 (resized).jpegIMG_9063 (resized).jpegIMG_9064 (resized).jpegIMG_9064 (resized).jpegIMG_9065 (resized).jpegIMG_9065 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3 5 years ago

Hello - could you lay out the steps or phases of the restoration that your planning to do, i.e. playfield then on to????

I have a Gilligan's Island, now going through and doing the cabinet where I will be installing vinyl over the original stencils. They were just too faded .

Looking forward to reading your progress

Eric

#4 5 years ago

Cabinet Decals........ removal of original art, fixing any bad areas, sanding , and applying new decals

FullSizeRender (resized).jpegFullSizeRender (resized).jpegIMG_9308 (resized).jpegIMG_9308 (resized).jpegIMG_9310 (resized).jpegIMG_9310 (resized).jpegIMG_9315 (resized).jpegIMG_9315 (resized).jpeg
#5 5 years ago

Original artwork was decals, not stencils. You need o remove them before applying new decals

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Original artwork was decals, not stencils. You need o remove them before applying new decals

Im not sure if thats a question or a statement, but yes the original art was a decal, and needs to be removed

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from TurnedWoods:

Hello - could you lay out the steps or phases of the restoration that your planning to do, i.e. playfield then on to????
I have a Gilligan's Island, now going through and doing the cabinet where I will be installing vinyl over the original stencils. They were just too faded .
Looking forward to reading your progress
Eric

Eric I will post every step as it is completed, thanks for your interest

#8 5 years ago

Loved this pin, one of the first of the dmd displays. Very fun.
Who did that CC job? Beautiful!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Dave_rautio:

Im not sure if thats a question or a statement, but yes the original art was a decal, and needs to be removed

I think he was replying to TurnedWoods

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I think he was replying to turnedwoods

I think your right my mistake

#11 5 years ago

One of my faves. Look forward to end result.

1 week later
#12 5 years ago

Decal removal was a scrap and peel. Was a heat gun used ? Any reason that the work could not be done with the back box still on the game? Thanks

#13 5 years ago

Watching Op. Looks good so far.
I was going to do this to, but skipping it and going original.
Edit.

#14 5 years ago

Preparing cabinet and install of decals

IMG_9397 (resized).JPEGIMG_9397 (resized).JPEGIMG_9402 (resized).JPEGIMG_9402 (resized).JPEGIMG_9406 (resized).JPEGIMG_9406 (resized).JPEGIMG_9407 (resized).JPEGIMG_9407 (resized).JPEGIMG_9408 (resized).JPEGIMG_9408 (resized).JPEG
#16 5 years ago

Just found this thread and loving it. BEST GAME EVER!
I would love a new play field.

1 week later
#17 5 years ago

Old playfield stripped down

IMG_9533 (resized).jpegIMG_9533 (resized).jpeg
#18 5 years ago

Transformation of new playfield

IMG_9451 (resized).jpegIMG_9451 (resized).jpegIMG_9516 (resized).jpegIMG_9516 (resized).jpegIMG_9528 (resized).jpegIMG_9528 (resized).jpegIMG_9529 (resized).jpegIMG_9529 (resized).jpegIMG_9534 (resized).jpegIMG_9534 (resized).jpegIMG_9535 (resized).jpegIMG_9535 (resized).jpeg
#19 5 years ago

following

#20 5 years ago

Great work so far. I love this game and have been looking for 1 for a while that isnt completely destroyed. NOS playfiels looks beautiful with that slick and shiny clearcoating. Just curious how long you waited to do the swap after it was clearcoated?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Great work so far. I love this game and have been looking for 1 for a while that isnt completely destroyed. NOS playfiels looks beautiful with that slick and shiny clearcoating. Just curious how long you waited to do the swap after it was clearcoated?

six weeks or so, a buddy of mine Dave N is actually doing the swap

#22 5 years ago

That is gonna be the best on the planet .Put a skull on it.

CC57962D-0CB2-4CB3-89E9-3B472B70CC11 (resized).jpegCC57962D-0CB2-4CB3-89E9-3B472B70CC11 (resized).jpegD8688298-BCCF-46AF-9CCE-65DC51615BDF (resized).jpegD8688298-BCCF-46AF-9CCE-65DC51615BDF (resized).jpeg
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Dave_rautio:

six weeks or so, a buddy of mine Dave N is actually doing the swap

My opinion, and experience, 6 weeks is not long enough. Perhaps different brands of poly cure and shrink at different rates but the play field I as clearing did not finish settling out of the inserts for at least 6 months.

That said, it is a beautiful play field.

#24 5 years ago

Dave, fantastic job!
(Please sand bottom of cabinet)

1 month later
#25 5 years ago

Finally completed.......
New cabinet decals
NOS playfield clearcoated
New plastics
New Island motor
Target Decals
Flipper bat decals
New coin door
Led lights through out
New rails
new lock down bar and assembly
Metal corner protectors
New legs and bolts
Color DMD
Custom topper

IMG_0256 (resized).jpgIMG_0256 (resized).jpgIMG_0257 (resized).jpgIMG_0257 (resized).jpgIMG_0258 (resized).jpgIMG_0258 (resized).jpgIMG_0259 (resized).jpgIMG_0259 (resized).jpgIMG_0270 (resized).jpgIMG_0270 (resized).jpgIMG_0271 (resized).jpgIMG_0271 (resized).jpgIMG_0272 (resized).jpgIMG_0272 (resized).jpgIMG_0273 (resized).jpgIMG_0273 (resized).jpg
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from gipinball:

Dave, fantastic job!
(Please sand bottom of cabinet)

I agree but yeah you got to clean the bottom of the cabinet

#27 5 years ago

I bet it plays insanely fast with the clear coated play field!
This game has a certain feel that I just absolutely love. Makes me smile EVERY time I play it.
Is the colour DMD worth it? being it is very basic dots.
Thanks for posting.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

This game has a certain feel that I just absolutely love. Makes me smile EVERY time I play it.
Thanks for posting.

The color dmd really adds alot to the game, I dont know If I would have put it in an average condition gilligan , but this machine I figured I have so much money in it already whats another 350

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Thanks for posting.

ColorDmd puts this game over the top. Worth the money IMO.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Dave_rautio:

Finally completed.......
New cabinet decals
NOS playfield clearcoated
New plastics
New Island motor
Target Decals
Flipper bat decals
New coin door
Led lights through out
New rails
new lock down bar and assembly
Metal corner protectors
New legs and bolts
Color DMD
Custom topper[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Game is Gorgeous !
Over the top Beauty. Congrats.

9 months later
#31 4 years ago

Excellent finish on your game, lucky to have a NOS Playfield too!. Just in the process of restoring mine. Can I ask where you got your cabinet decals from?

#32 4 years ago

nice work dave

7 months later
#33 3 years ago
Quoted from hwoolmore:

Excellent finish on your game, lucky to have a NOS Playfield too!. Just in the process of restoring mine. Can I ask where you got your cabinet decals from?

Did you ever find cabinet decals? I have been looking all over the internet. Nothing so far.

#34 3 years ago

Guess who got some love with colour dmd?
YEP
" THE BEST GAME EVER "

A4DF8175-B4C9-4FAC-8D0A-850D2E179683 (resized).jpegA4DF8175-B4C9-4FAC-8D0A-850D2E179683 (resized).jpeg
#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Rhombus:

Did you ever find cabinet decals? I have been looking all over the internet. Nothing so far.

I found some on eBay from classicarcades (still available) that worked pretty well. I had another set previously purchased from somewhere else that didn’t quite fit right and Gilligan was kinda green (Zombie Gilligan).

#36 3 years ago

Looks fantastic! Working on my Gilligans at the moment and having trouble locating what bolts are used to hinge rear of Playfield - can anyone help please? Part numbers?

Cheers Gav

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-complete-restoration?hl=dave_rautio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.