(Topic ID: 171609)

Gilligan's Island blowing F105 on boot up

By Hammerhead

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm cleaning up and shopping my GI, and took it for a test spin. I noticed that a number of solenoids no longer fire that used to and upon inspection noticed F105 was blown.

I replaced it and turned the game back on. The game would not completely boot up and constantly reset until F105 blew again; after that the game booted up fine. I've looked at a number of other threads about similar symptoms and started checking the 8 coils and transistors associated with F105:

- all transistors check out
- coil #1 (AE-23-800) has a resistance of 0.4 ohms
- coil #2 (A-14701) has a resistance of 4.7 ohms
- coils #3, #4 (AE-26-1200) have a resistance of 10.6 ohms
- coils #5, #6 (AE-26-1500) have a resistance of 14.1 ohms
- coils #7, #8 (AE-23-800) have a resistance of 4.2 ohms
- no visible/obvious shorts

So it looks like coil 1 has an issue. But it's brand new. I just replaced it because the power lug on the previous solenoid had completed separated from the coil. Plus, it's on the topside of the playfield under layers of ramps and plastics, making replacing a b!tch.

Anything else I can test to see what the culprit is? I'd hate to replace the coil again only to have it meltdown too.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

- coil #1 (AE-23-800) has a resistance of 0.4 ohms

This is bad.

Either the coil is shorted, or the diode on the coil is shorted. If you wired the coil incorrectly, in relation to the diode's orientation, then you killed the diode and likely the driver transistor on the driver board.

The power wire (thicker, usually red) goes to the cathode, or banned side of the diode. The thinner, striped wire (purple wire with brown stripe in this case) goes to the non-banded side of the diode.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#3 7 years ago

I'll check the coil wiring tonight.

Last night the driver transistor (TIP36C, red lead on centre tab, black lead on outside legs) I get a reading +/- 520, which matches all the other solenoid transistors, so I take that to mean the transistor is still good.

#4 7 years ago

Checked the coil diode and it is the short. I checked a few other diodes throughout the game for a baseline and found some other shorted diodes unrelated to this issue (one coil, a few switches).

Based on Borygard's explanation, looks like I installed the coil backwards and fried the diode.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Based on Borygard's explanation, looks like I installed the coil backwards and fried the diode.

You probably took out it's transistor too.

LTG : )

#6 7 years ago

I tested the transistor and it seemed to check out, see post #3.

Now the game now boots up without resetting and without blowing F105, and completed a coil test where all coils fired as they're supposed to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-blowing-f105-on-boot-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.