(Topic ID: 268419)

gilligans island

By willie0912

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I am going nuts with my Gilligans Island with the island. I get the island error code all the time. The island will not spin and all switch's and coils are working. I checked all the switch adjustments and they are also good. Q58 tests good but when you ground it out it does not seem to activate the island relay. the island relay also has voltage going to it. Thanks for any help Bill

#2 3 years ago

You are close.
If the motor has voltage to the hot side. And a clean ground on the ground side it will turn, if the motor is good.

Make sure you just don’t have voltage but a clean ground,

Also, the relay board can cause problems. Make sure this fires, and gives voltage across the relay. I have seen where these don’t fire, or fire but have bad contacts that don’t let voltage flow.

Do the motor test, just with jumpers. If you are not comfortable doing this get someone to help. If you do wrong your problems will get larger

#3 3 years ago

I am sorry I didn't mention that l did test the motor with the voltage right off of the power driver board and it worked fine. I think I'll order a new relay board for it that way I will know for sure. Bedsides I need a break from this game,I will let you know how I make out, Thanks Bill

1 week later
#4 3 years ago

Ok the new relay board did not do the trick. Can you tell me when the island is supposed to turn and when it is supposed to stop, maybe that would help me. thanks

#5 3 years ago

Hello,
Having the same issue. Island will work at times after the machine is off sometime. Was working fine, but just quit. Did some investigating and watched a video on YouTube made by TNT Amusements on a refurbished machine. They stated on the video that they had got one of the early Gilligan machines (back when they were new) and found out from the factory the green underside of the rotating island causes a reflection and gave issues for the opto to read correctly. They recommended to paint the underside black. I am in the process today 5/27/2020 doing that to mine. I am doing it in a flat black so that there is no reflections. I am hopping this will fix my issue of the island not working. Might want to try this to yours too. Will report back and let you know.......Mike

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Hello,
Having the same issue. Island will work at times after the machine is off sometime. Was working fine, but just quit. Did some investigating and watched a video on YouTube made by TNT Amusements on a refurbished machine. They stated on the video that they had got one of the early Gilligan machines (back when they were new) and found out from the factory the green underside of the rotating island causes a reflection and gave issues for the opto to read correctly. They recommended to paint the underside black. I am in the process today 5/27/2020 doing that to mine. I am doing it in a flat black so that there is no reflections. I am hopping this will fix my issue of the island not working. Might want to try this to yours too. Will report back and let you know.......Mike

It should fix the issue! Todd

#7 3 years ago

Thanks, mine was already painted black but maybe it is to shiny. I will try flat black and see if that works and let you know.

#8 3 years ago

Well fixed my issue and here is what I did. Painting the underside did not fix the problem. The island worked and then didn't. Re-seated all connectors and ribbon cables associated with the island. This did make the island work, but not for long. Re-seated the connectors on the relay board and it worked again, but then didn't. Removed the relay board and found that it had many cold solder joints. Re-flowed all points and this repaired my issue as the island now works flawlessly. Hope this helps you with your issue on your island.....good luck....Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligans-island-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.