Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 65 days ago by PinballManiac40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

This is a little annoying. I've been working several WPC games that resets because one or another reason, but this is a little bit weird.
If the game hasn't been used for a while and I start it up, it usually resets when the island mech has found it's home.
After the reset, the game works flawlessly.

Connectors are nice, nothing tarnished or burned out.
It has a nice 4.990VDC +5V line.
I've read at some forums that replacing C8 solves the issue, but no dice here.

Any ideas?

#2 4 months ago

Maybe you have a switch wired wrong? Maybe look at all the switches in the same row and column to be sure the white and green wires are to the correct switch tab and the diode is not backwards.

Another potential is there are 2 switches mounted in the wrong places on the playfield that may reside close to one another. May want to test all the switches in switch edge test and be sure the correct switch name comes up on the display as you press them. Cirqus Voltaire had this type of issue and certain place in the game, it would reset the game.

1 week later
#3 4 months ago

The switches are OK!

ChrisHibler any ideas?

#4 4 months ago

This is very unusual.

Obviously, what changes when the Island goes home? The lock pin coil. (scratches head...) No, that can't be it...

This could be a questionable connection on the big square chip on the CPU board. Push it firmly into it's socket.

At this point I would put in a Kahr circuit board. For $29 plus shipping it's a easy way to test to make sure that the problem is or is not related to poor +5v power.

If the problem never happens when the Kahr board is installed, you have something dropping the +5v and you can start going down the recommended fixes, and when you've gotten the +5v circuit fixed you can pull the Kahr board.

If it still happens when the Kahr board is installed, you've got a much more difficult problem, and you'll have to observe very closely exactly what is happening when the game resets.

I've had wires that rubbed through the insulation on metal parts do this... intermittently.

If the darned thing would just break consistently, like EVERY time the island lock pin releases, you'd be able to fix this. It's a whole lot easier to fix it if it stays broke.

Keep working at this, observe carefully, and let us know if you spot something that would lead towards the machine being consistently broken.

Don't give up... this might take a while to figure out!

#5 4 months ago

Test every switch in the switch edge test and be sure the correct switch name on the DMD matches the switch matrix chart and playfield layout. You bound to have 2 switches that are plugged in wrong places.

#6 4 months ago

I will try replacing the power driver board with another one (and maybe the CPU board), just to rule out if there's an board issue or mechanics issue.
I'll report back to you with the results

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from frsj8112:

I will try replacing the power driver board with another one (and maybe the CPU board), just to rule out if there's an board issue or mechanics issue.
I'll report back to you with the results

Sounds like the issue is in the playfield, just as the CV I worked on that I mentioned in a previous post

2 months later
#8 65 days ago

Can you post a picture of your MPU, in case there is corrosion on the bottom half?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 11.00
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!