You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

w89_pdb_u7_u8.jpg
20230107_215121 (resized).jpg
20230107_215130 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I'm having an issue with the island on Gilligan's island. The island isn't indexing properly. It will always lock into the home position when the game is started, but when you collect all the ingredients & start Kona the island won't stop in the correct spot after a ramp shot is made. Happens with jungle run too.
This all started after I removed the island to clean the playfield. I decided to clean the opto while I had the island removed. The opto tests fine in switch test. I reinstalled the island in the same position as I removed it. The island lock switch also tests fine & is adjusted properly. The motor & relay board are also functioning as they should. I have painted the plastic fins that triggers the opto black. What am I missing here? It's driving me crazy. Any ideas are appreciated. Posted a couple pics of where the island stops.

20230107_215121 (resized).jpg20230107_215121 (resized).jpg20230107_215130 (resized).jpg20230107_215130 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Last time I worked on a GI, it also had opto issues similar to yours, but not exactly the same. The game was showing a credit dot and a switch 77 error. I ended up doing a few things at the same time, but I don't know which one ended up fixing the issue.

I replaced that island opto board. (Sadly, these seem to be unobtanium these days.)

I used electrical tape to extend down the opto interruptors to make sure there wasn't light still able to slide under them.

I sent away the power driver board for repair to @borygard.

My guess is either the opto in yours has gone flaky, or the PDB has some issues. After looking at the schematic, there are a couple chips on there that are labeled "Opto Isolators" at U7 and U8 that might be at issue. I just wish I had kept a copy of the full list of repairs Rob made to that board. I gave it to the customer.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I replaced that island opto board. (Sadly, these seem to be unobtanium these days.)

That board is tiny and can be easily reproduced. They are also easily repaired. It's possible the transmitter side of the slotted opto has failed if the switch does not open or close.

Quoted from Miguel351:

After looking at the schematic, there are a couple chips on there that are labeled "Opto Isolators" at U7 and U8 that might be at issue.

Those ICs are used to detect the flipper cabinet buttons. That is their only purpose.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Those ICs are used to detect the flipper cabinet buttons. That is their only purpose.

Even though the flipper switches in GI are leafs and not optos? I didn't think optos were used for flipper switches until Fliptronics II setups, is that right?

I sent the PDB in to Borygard because there were plenty of other hacks that had been done to it and I knew he'd be able to clean them all up and make it right, which he did. Wether or not what he did on that board helped with the flaky island opto, I don't know for certain. At the time I replaced that island opto board, they were only like $35 or so. So it was cheap insurance to just go ahead and get it.

This was many years ago and I haven't heard back from the guy at all so I assume everything is still working fine.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for the ideas! I should add that the power driver board was replaced by the previous owner. It's a new board, but not sure who made it. There's no name on it. Don't think it's rottendog because those are very clearly marked. Again, everything was working fine until I removed the island, cleaned the opto & reinstalled the island. I could go ahead & replace the opto on the board I guess.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Even though the flipper switches in GI are leafs and not optos? I didn't think optos were used for flipper switches until Fliptronics II setups, is that right?

Yes. With pre-fliptonic (non-fliptronic) machines, the optoisolator (not slotted opto) acts like a "relay" between the +50VDC circuit and the switch matrix. When there is current flowing the transmitter side of the opto starts transmitting. The receiver side is connected to the switch matrix.

w89_pdb_u7_u8.jpgw89_pdb_u7_u8.jpg

With fliptronic machines, the cabinet button may be either a leaf or a slotted opto. The switch is low voltage and in fliptronic machines, are part of the 8x fliptronic (direct grounded) switches that are detected on the Fliptronics board. These fliptronic switches are NOT part of the switch matrix.

Quoted from Pin-Bob:

It's a new board, but not sure who made it. There's no name on it. Don't think it's rottendog because those are very clearly marked.

Probably a "basement" board then. Without images, it's all supposition.

Quoted from Pin-Bob:

Again, everything was working fine until I removed the island, cleaned the opto & reinstalled the island. I could go ahead & replace the opto on the board I guess.

Don't replace parts unless they are proven to be bad. You can cause more damage to the board than you are fixing. This does depend on your skill and experience level but, in general, most hobbyists are not board repair technicians. I have seen more damage done to boards from attempts to fix a board than actual fixes of problems on boards.

If it was working before and it now longer working, it is likely you have wired or connected something incorrectly. With optos, it may also be positional (mechanical). Check the switch registers correctly in the switch edge test (T.1) and manually block (interrupt) and unblock the slotted opto. If it works electrically, there's no reason to replace it and your problem is likely mechanical.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

If it was working before and it now longer working, it is likely you have wired or connected something incorrectly. With optos, it may also be positional (mechanical). Check the switch registers correctly in the switch edge test (T.1) and manually block (interrupt) and unblock the slotted opto. If it works electrically, there's no reason to replace it and your problem is likely mechanical.

This is why when I was checking the one I was working on, I used the electrical tape to extend the interruptors down a bit to eliminate that as a possible cause. It could be on yours that when you put it back together, something didn't get aligned properly and the wheel, and subsequently the interruptors, aren't sitting down far enough to break the opto beam completely. So, I'd be checking all that first.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

This is why when I was checking the one I was working on, I used the electrical tape to extend the interruptors down a bit to eliminate that as a possible cause. It could be on yours that when you put it back together, something didn't get aligned properly and the wheel, and subsequently the interruptors, aren't sitting down far enough to break the opto beam completely. So, I'd be checking all that first.

This was exactly the problem. When I put the island back in, while I did seat it all the way down, I did not push the motor shaft up. There is a slight amount of play in the motor shaft & since the back end of the shaft protrudes from the case, you need to push the shaft in as far as it will go. It works perfect now & runs smooth as silk. My best educated guess is that it was causing light to come in underneath the fins on the island & break the opto beam. Something so simple, but maddening. I'm good at board repair & electronics, but this was a head scratcher for sure! Thanks for the help!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Yes. With pre-fliptonic (non-fliptronic) machines, the optoisolator (not slotted opto) acts like a "relay" between the +50VDC circuit and the switch matrix. When there is current flowing the transmitter side of the opto starts transmitting. The receiver side is connected to the switch matrix.
[quoted image]
With fliptronic machines, the cabinet button may be either a leaf or a slotted opto. The switch is low voltage and in fliptronic machines, are part of the 8x fliptronic (direct grounded) switches that are detected on the Fliptronics board. These fliptronic switches are NOT part of the switch matrix.

Probably a "basement" board then. Without images, it's all supposition.

Don't replace parts unless they are proven to be bad. You can cause more damage to the board than you are fixing. This does depend on your skill and experience level but, in general, most hobbyists are not board repair technicians. I have seen more damage done to boards from attempts to fix a board than actual fixes of problems on boards.

Thanks for all the help! I'm grateful for your knowledge & your willingness to help everyone. I'm comfortable servicing boards & I don't like to shotgun components, but I was out of ideas. I knew it was something very simple I was overlooking. When I put the island back in, while I did seat it all the way down, I did not push the motor shaft up. There is a slight amount of play in the motor shaft & since the back end of the shaft protrudes from the case, you need to push the shaft in as far as it will go. It works perfect now & runs smooth as silk. My best educated guess is that it was causing light to come in underneath the fins on the island & break the opto beam. It was driving me crazy because I had to pull the game out of my last tournament & I wanted it back up for the next one. Even though most people say Gilligan's is terrible, it's very popular in our tournaments. People were bummed it was down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligan-s-island-troubles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.