(Topic ID: 227323)

Gilligan's Island - Possible board problem?

By jmiller1976

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hello - My Gilligan's Island machine recently developed a problem where when I power it up the screen displays garbage and nothing else happens (no sound and no lights). I disconnected the ribbon connector at J202 at which point the machine will power up and is playable with the exception that the screen still displays garbage and the sound does not work. I took the display controller board to a somewhat local guy and he thought it might be either the ribbon cables or the board itself. He replaced the RAM on the board and I replaced all of the ribbon cables. Unfortunately the problem persists. Before I pack the machine up the basement stairs again I wanted to see if anyone had other thoughts on what I might try. I can supply pictures if that is helpful. Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 5 years ago

I'd measure the voltage test points on your power driver board and see if any are low or missing.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago

Test point readings:
    5 volt tested at 5.04
    12 volt tested at 11.90
    20 volt tested at 22.7

I also checked voltage on the RAM and it was 5 volts. So I went back to the MPU and checked the ROM chip and its at 4.8 volts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligan-s-island-possible-board-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.