Gilligan's island pinball ramp solenoid

By Liqwde

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello,
Still new to working on pinball machines (guess I better get used to it.) The ramp to the island on my machine will not go down. Only if I assist it. To me the solenoid seems weak. Comes up just fine and you can really feel the difference in solenoid strength.

My guess is the solenoid is bad/dying. Although I wanted to check opinions before I start ordering parts. When you move the ramp arm manually going down, there is a small hang up. But feels fairly smooth going up. I can't see anything in the moving parts that appears to be hanging. Guess it's inside the solenoid.

Thoughts?

#2 3 years ago

Weak connection from driver board to coil lugs. Check all connectors and solder joints along the way.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

I'll be sure to check that tonight. I guess I can get a reading off the other solenoid and compare the 2.
I'll let you know.

#4 3 years ago

Coils (AKA solenoids) rarely go bad. Just a long piece of insulated wire wrapped around a plastic bobbin. If the ramp is binding as it goes down, it's likely not a coil. If you don't have a manual, you can download one at the link below. Look at the diagram in the manual, then inspect your ramp and see if you can see where it's binding.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1004

The ramp actually has two coils. An up coil and a down coil. Page two of the manual shows part numbers for both coils. Google pinball coil resistance chart to see what resistance each coil should be. Then test each coil (with game powered off) across the two lugs to see if you get the correct readings (within .2 or .3 ohms of specs).

#5 3 years ago

I am having the same problem. HOWEVER, my issue is the ramp doesn’t go or down. Even in test mode, the ramp will not activate. I have check the wires and they all are connected properly. This issue just happened, today, during game play, where the ramp just stopped working. I’m not sure what to check as it was perfect the previous games played prior. Any ideas?

#6 3 years ago

From what I've learned. It sound like electrical. Loose connection. Wires or board

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Weak connection from driver board to coil lugs. Check all connectors and solder joints along the way.
LTG : )

Quoted from phishrace:

Coils (AKA solenoids) rarely go bad. Just a long piece of insulated wire wrapped around a plastic bobbin. If the ramp is binding as it goes down, it's likely not a coil. If you don't have a manual, you can download one at the link below. Look at the diagram in the manual, then inspect your ramp and see if you can see where it's binding.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1004
The ramp actually has two coils. An up coil and a down coil. Page two of the manual shows part numbers for both coils. Google pinball coil resistance chart to see what resistance each coil should be. Then test each coil (with game powered off) across the two lugs to see if you get the correct readings (within .2 or .3 ohms of specs).

Thanks for the assist. I had my brain turned backwards I guess. The front pushing the ramp up. The back is actually a stop to prevent the ramp from dropping on its own. The mechanical connect was dirty preventing the ramp from dropping. Little IPA and a few minutes has everything clinking and clanking to the sound of smooth operation. Thanks again for trying to help!

1 month later
#8 3 years ago

I finally got it fixed. It was a fuse problem. Fuse #103

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligan-s-island-pinball-ramp-solenoid- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.