(Topic ID: 224932)

Gilligan's Island outearns Medieval Madness!

By IdahoRealtor

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Who will win Round 2? ”

• Gilligan's speedball is wearing off. He's going down hard. Medieval all the way! 14 votes
    29%
  • Gilligan has legs. Pinside ratings are meaningless. Gilligan all the way! 35 votes
    71%

(49 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180816_151549 (resized).jpg
20180816_151407 (resized).jpg
20170830_201708 (resized).jpg
boris01 (resized).png
holy-crap-frank (resized).jpg
38289268_10156732616169756_5206565128094351360_n (resized).jpg
27657481_10156252016384756_6308961173510306565_n (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

In corner number one, we have the Challenger, ranked #310 on Pinside, lower than SF2 and Waterworld, weighing in at a measly $2200, Gilligaaaaan's Iiiiisland!

In corner number two, we have the Defending Champion, perennially ranked at #1, weighing in at a staggering $8000, Mediiiieeeevvvaaal Madneeessss!

Judges' score cards are in for Round 1 (aka August) and Gilligan beats Medieval by 10% (in revenue)!

holy-crap-frank (resized).jpgholy-crap-frank (resized).jpg

Full disclosure, this was Gilligan's first month in the arcade (honeymoon phase) and MM has been here for a bit, so not 100% apples to apples here, but even so! And if this happens again in Sept we've got a trend!

Who's ready for Round 2? Everyone, place your bets!

38289268_10156732616169756_5206565128094351360_n (resized).jpg38289268_10156732616169756_5206565128094351360_n (resized).jpg
27657481_10156252016384756_6308961173510306565_n (resized).jpg27657481_10156252016384756_6308961173510306565_n (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

GI to repeat in round 2.

boris01 (resized).pngboris01 (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

GI is a fun game! Easy rules but at the same time hard to complete. If it was a Sys 11 game it would have been rated much higher.

#4 5 years ago

Not surprised as GI is the much better game. When new people come downstairs they almost always comment on the GI game but would walk right by MM and that has a lot to do with it being something they recognize from there past. The MM games are all long gone and the GI has been here for the last 20 years and I couldn't be happier with that.

John

#5 5 years ago

GI " Best game EVER"

#6 5 years ago

GI is one of the best, gotta push the start button again games. GI for round 2

#7 5 years ago

I think most people have played MM to death, while GI, not so much. Due to that, if I saw GI and MM sitting together somewhere, I'd rather put some plays on GI. It's a pretty fun game and that rotating pathways playfield toy was pretty cool. It's fun trying to beat Kona each game and it doesn't take an eternity to get there, so if you fail (which I usually do), it's not hard to want to press the start button again.

#8 5 years ago

I never played GI but can't even imagine this can be discussed. A game rated #1 vs #200+ It seems like MM has a vast group of people that over played it and got sick of it. Like listening to pinball wizard one to many times, or eating something til the mere smell makes them feel funny in the tummy.

I loved Gilligan's island it was in fact the first show while watching as a kid that I realized and understood I was laughing at scarastic or adult humor. Does the game give you a chuckle? If not then it totally missed the mark imo.

GI should have modes and shots you have to make to help rescue them but no matter how good you are you are just never allowed to get to that wizard mode.

I am sure it's just the newest game phase and nothing more.

#9 5 years ago

I like this thread - always interests me on what earns more

#10 5 years ago

well this has stoked my interest in GI ive seen it b4 but didnt play it

#11 5 years ago

Interesting take on ratings really. Cool perspective.

I'm going GI for round 2. Enough interest and possibility to beat high score seeing as though it's still pretty fresh.

#12 5 years ago

GO LITTLE BUDDY!
Few thoughts. GI was my second game and has become a long term keeper. At this point I would sell several before it leaves, but its not leaving till Im in my 70's. Long time.
What no Colordmd? Maybe when it wins this month too, it can pay for its own color display. Because when you add it , it will win thru christmas.
There is a familiarity with GI. We all grew up with it and it has more curb appeal than a MM.
Ratings; I will try to reframe from some jaded thoughts here. I just went and looked at those MM ratings. Seems that they are mostly owners trying to justify the high price they paid for said machine. I also see many that pump up ratings chart to make a sale look better. Our pinside ratings don't reflect at times a true unbiased opinion.
Bryce, put in Colordmd for some even playing field. That 10% will rise for next few rounds.

#13 5 years ago

Nice coconuts!

#14 5 years ago

I vote for Mary Ann!

#15 5 years ago

Maybe it’s time for adding a rating for GI?

Edit: just did

#16 5 years ago

You guys are right. Totally unfair poor Gilligan has no Color DMD. I'll see what I can do about that.

#17 5 years ago

Like another nautical themed game, Baywatch, it's an uderrated game.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You guys are right. Totally unfair poor Gilligan has no Color DMD. I'll see what I can do about that.

It was an honor and pleasure to help Colordmd beta test color last year for GI. I was the first GI owner with a color display and enjoyed the whole process.
You need to order LED display for this title because of the large translite. I also helped with Black Rose, also a sleeper hit for the value.
Im currently working on another title that should be done in a few weeks for Colordmd.

20170830_201708 (resized).jpg20170830_201708 (resized).jpg
#19 5 years ago

I pretty much have to buy the latest and greatest for my location, but I like to mix in a couple older pins for variety. Always puts a grin on my face to see one of my bargain pins getting love.

#20 5 years ago

Can't wait for you to pass it on.

#21 5 years ago

A lot of love for GI on this thread. That $2200 will be 10k by Christmas.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Can't wait for you to pass it on.

Going to be a long wait, my friend. When it eventually gets pulled it's going right next to the tiki bar.

20180816_151549 (resized).jpg20180816_151549 (resized).jpg

20180816_151407 (resized).jpg20180816_151407 (resized).jpg
#23 5 years ago

I love to put some time on the “cheaper” less desired pins. They are all fun in their own way. I think some low ranked pins on pinside are great earners on location. A few operators I know say super mario is one of the best earners, still beats all the new sterns

#24 5 years ago

Nice space. And I wish one for 2,200 would come up.

1 week later
#25 5 years ago

Im anxious to hear how these match up in Sept? Round 2

#26 5 years ago

It's always interesting when that happens. My main location is typically AFM, WW, Diner. This last month Lost world (the 1977 Bally) ate its Wheaties.

AFM
Whirlwind
Lost World
Diner
Space Invaders
Corvette
Taxi
High Speed (went down early in the month, lingering issue so not a fair ranking)

Corvette normally is neck and neck with Diner, but those two have a decent gap this month.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

It's always interesting when that happens. My main location is typically AFM, WW, Diner. This last month Lost world (the 1977 Bally) ate its Wheaties.
AFM
Whirlwind
Lost World
Diner
Space Invaders
Corvette
Taxi
High Speed (went down early in the month, lingering issue so not a fair ranking)
Corvette normally is neck and neck with Diner, but those two have a decent gap this month.

Surprising to see an early Bally like Space Invaders out-earned some Sys 11s and Corvette. It does have attention-grabbing looks. Only early Bally I have operated was Flash Gordon and it held its own.

10 more days for Round 2 results of Gilligan vs MM!

#28 5 years ago

Surprising to see an early Bally like Space Invaders out-earned some Sys 11s and Corvette. It does have attention-grabbing looks. Only early Bally I have operated was Flash Gordon and it held its own.
10 more days for Round 2 results of Gilligan vs MM!

Space invaders had been down for a little while, so maybe the fact that it was up and running again caused the uptick from what I would say would be the norm. I think it's a little more complex than Silverball Mania, which used to be in that spot. SBM did pretty well until everyone got really good at shooting the middle horseshoe in tournaments and then it lost its edge. SBM does just fine in a more casual location that I have.

1 week later
#29 5 years ago

MMR takes Round 2 by a 37% margin!

Both fighters have taken some damage. Gilligan suffered a broken stand-up target and an out-of-alignment ball launch. Medieval suffered a broken troll.

We'll see in another 30 days which one of these bruised warriors triumphs in this best of 3 contest.

Everyone, place your bets!

p.s. Not entirely fair that Gilligan is still rocking a plasma DMD, but I suspect the impact is fairly minimal.

#30 5 years ago

GI all the way. " Best game ever"

#31 5 years ago

MMR takes Round 2 by a 37% margin!
Both fighters have taken some damage. Gilligan suffered a broken stand-up target and an out-of-alignment ball launch. Medieval suffered a broken troll.
We'll see in another 30 days which one of these bruised warriors triumphs in this best of 3 contest.
Everyone, place your bets!
p.s. Not entirely fair that Gilligan is still rocking a plasma DMD, but I suspect the impact is fairly minimal.

I was really rooting for the Little Buddy!
Well, maybe next month. 2 outa 3?

2 months later
#32 5 years ago

Going to be a long wait, my friend. When it eventually gets pulled it's going right next to the tiki bar.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

NICE sluts, 'er I mean Slots!! I would love one in my gaming area, a slot I mean

How'd round 3 go anyway?!?

#33 5 years ago

I'm also interested long-term how this is working out.
Happy New Year Bryce.

#34 5 years ago

Both great games! I’ve been in the hobby for a long time and I’ve seen copious amounts of Medieval Madnesses on route. I personally gravitate towards the more obscure games that I don’t see as often because I’ll never know when I’ll see them next!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligan-s-island-outearns-medieval-madness-?hl=litedpinballmods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.