• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Axaios
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi gang -
I'm trying to help someone troubleshoot a problem remotely, so I don't have the game in front of me. His GI is getting an "Island error" message. When running the motor test the island seems to operate correctly, starting and stopping, with the related switches opening and closing as expected. I'm wondering if the island has a "home" position, and if so how the game determines it. Or if there is no home position, how does the game know what position the island is in? Unless I'm missing it in the manual I can't find anything mentioned about island error, so no help there.

I don't see how this can be related, but I'm not a big believer in coincidences so I'll add a bit of background. This game had an MPU issue so I loaned its owner a spare MPU board (moved over the game ROM and NVRAM). The game was working correctly with this MPU. He got a new Rottendog MPU, I moved the game ROM and NVRAM to the new Rottendog board, he installed it, and that's when he started see the island error.

#2 5 years ago

I’ve had mine for about 6 months now,it always has that error but the game works perfect every time we play.

I think when it first stated I activated every switch that had to do with the island and the message would go away.

Then I just stop worrying about because the island works great every time ..

Wish I had a more technical answer but if it’s working tell them not to worry about it.

#3 5 years ago

If you go into island test and run the whole test, it will go away. It shows up on my machine as well all the time.

#4 5 years ago

Home position must be where it stop/begin to rotate.
I think if I can remember on the island plastic have some cuts,so the longest cut is the home position.
Check if this cut is not long than normal with inspection.
Had similar problem with one machine before time,and home cut space was damaged/broken and was more long peace cut than normal.

#5 5 years ago

If the opto's don't see the island underneath it will error. Also if all the jackpot switches haven't ALL been made in a while it will think the island is broken.

John

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies. Factory reset and / or running the motor test do not clear the error, and with the island error the ramp isn't working, so the game really isn't playable as-is. We're going to swap the MPU board that was in the game when it was working properly back into it, just to rule out (or confirm) the MPU as the cause. If it's still getting the error we'll have to get the game into the shop so I can check it out in person.

#7 5 years ago

I had an island error on my GI a few years ago. It turned out to be a loose connection between a wire and an IDC connector (I think mine was on a motor controller board under the playfield). It would come and go as I did diagnostics and poked around in the machine, presumably from me moving the wiring harness around. Your problem might be something similar, where it has come and gone as you changed MPU boards due to jiggling around the connectors and the wiring harness. It might be worth a look at all the connectors, and even the solder joints on the corresponding pins on the boards, to see if something might be loose.

#8 5 years ago

A quick update, we swapped MPUs, my spare board is now back in Gilligan's Island and so far no island errors. And the Rottendog MPU from GI is in my Creature, which is also working fine. This one is a puzzler. We're going to leave both MPUs where they are and call it a day.

1 year later
#9 3 years ago

Hi all, having some issues with my GI - ramp not dropping and island not turning. display showing "Island error". Does anyone have a solution to fix this? Cheers, Gav

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from BigGav:

Hi all, having some issues with my GI - ramp not dropping and island not turning. display showing "Island error". Does anyone have a solution to fix this? Cheers, Gav

Yes... check the “ramp lock switch” directly underneath the island on the playfield. If that solenoid isn’t making the switch activate when down or it is stuck on, you will get an island error. Alternatively you could have an opto issue. Usually island error is accompanied by something along “check switch ## island opto and check switch ## ramp lock”

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Yes... check the “ramp lock switch” directly underneath the island on the playfield. If that solenoid isn’t making the switch activate when down or it is stuck on, you will get an island error. Alternatively you could have an opto issue. Usually island error is accompanied by something along “check switch ## island opto and check switch ## ramp lock”

Thanks for your help. I just cleaned the opto under island and now seems to be working well also tightened the set screw and now it is lining up even better then before. Fingers crossed. Cheers

2 years later
#12 1 year ago

Hi There,
Hoping to get some help with my GI
I just put a topper and custom lighting on it, but since I have done it its reading "island error"
When I do a solenoid test No. 1-8 are not firing.
ive unplugged the lighting I added, but no change..
Ive checked the fuses and j130 connector, still no change

Any help would be great!! This one has me stumped.

Thanks heaps Gav

#13 1 year ago

Coils 1-8 are HIGH POWER, so the 50v circuit. All of these coils get power from J107 pin 3, and Fuse 105.

Check that J107 is plugged in, and pull one end of fuse 105 out and test the fuse with a meter. (You can't test fuses by looking at them, and it's a good habit to not try to test them in-circuit).

It is common for this to be a bad/intermittent ribbon cable connection (the big fat one that connects the CPU to the power board). This can be intermittent and fixed by unplugging/plugging back in, or it can be intermittent and need replacement.

I would remove power, and reseat all ribbon connectors.

Check that J107 pin 3 has 50v (usually reads 78v).

Either the coils aren't getting power through J107 pin 3, or they aren't getting their connection to ground through J130 and the associated transistors that drive each coil individually.

Let us know what you find!

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Coils 1-8 are HIGH POWER, so the 50v circuit. All of these coils get power from J107 pin 3, and Fuse 105.
Check that J107 is plugged in, and pull one end of fuse 105 out and test the fuse with a meter. (You can't test fuses by looking at them, and it's a good habit to not try to test them in-circuit).
It is common for this to be a bad/intermittent ribbon cable connection (the big fat one that connects the CPU to the power board). This can be intermittent and fixed by unplugging/plugging back in, or it can be intermittent and need replacement.
Either the coils aren't getting power through J107 pin 3, or they aren't getting their connection to ground through J130 and the associated transistors that drive each coil individually.

Thanks so much for the thorough response. I will be looking at it tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes.
Gav

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Thanks so much. No luck unfortunately. I re seated all the ribbon cables, checked f105 j107 too. Wasn’t too sure how to check pin 3 with dmm?

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from BigGav:

Hi There,
Hoping to get some help with my GI
I just put a topper and custom lighting on it, but since I have done it its reading "island error"
When I do a solenoid test No. 1-8 are not firing.
ive unplugged the lighting I added, but no change..
Ive checked the fuses and j130 connector, still no change
Any help would be great!! This one has me stumped.
Thanks heaps Gav

Check your fuse holders. I had an issue with GI lights super inconsistent and i finally found that the fuse was good but the fuse holder had cold solder joints. Took me hours to figure out something very simple.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Check your fuse holders. I had an issue with GI lights super inconsistent and i finally found that the fuse was good but the fuse holder had cold solder joints. Took me hours to figure out something very simple.

Thanks for your advice. Checked that and all ok. This has me very stumped. Is it possible I bumped / shorted something when adding LED strip?? Could it be a grounding issue? I’m not sure how to check this. Any tips would be great…
Cheers Gav

1 week later
#18 1 year ago

Hello,

I have an issue on my GI. When the ball goes to the Island, the Island stops a bit before the lane and the ball is stuck there. Any ideas?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligan-s-island-island-error?hl=axaios and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.