Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

d15a83280ff171e3b7275735d8190163d1f51f78 (resized).jpg
IMG_2479_LI (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I am a new owner of a Pinball machine - a Gilligan's Island (Bally). Also, very new at playing pinball, but wanting to learn how to fix things on my own. I recently did a cleaning / polish of the machine, including some plastics. After I cleaned it and put the glass back on, etc., I played it and quickly realized there's a little problem. The pinballs are getting stuck in the left lock area (see pic for reference). When I run the test on the left lock, it works and it also kicks the balls back into play that I ran through the test. Not sure how safe it is to do that with the glass off, but it seemed smart at the time. I'm not sure what else to do to figure out how to fix this. Does any pinball guru on here know how to fix?

IMG_2479_LI (resized).jpgIMG_2479_LI (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

First off, welcome to PinSide and congrats in acquiring your first machine.

I'm not familiar with the lock mech in Gilligan's Island, so please bare with me.

Are the balls getting caught, because of that plastic in your photo?

If yes, then the nuts are too tight on the screws. Loosen up the nuts a little, so the plastic can flex and shift a bit. Having the nuts too tight will also eventually crack the plastic.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

First off, welcome to PinSide and congrats in acquiring your first machine.
I'm not familiar with the lock mech in Gilligan's Island, so please bare with me.
Are the balls getting caught, because of that plastic in your photo?
If yes, then the nuts are too tight on the screws. Loosen up the nuts a little, so the plastic can flex and shift a bit. Having the nuts too tight will also eventually crack the plastic.

Thank you so much! So I tried loosening up the nuts, but they're still getting stuck in the lock. I ran another test of the lock and now it's not kicking the balls out so I'm thinking that it's a left lock mechanical problem of some sort.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from GilliganLvrWC:

I ran another test of the lock and now it's not kicking the balls out so I'm thinking that it's a left lock mechanical problem of some sort.

I'm not sure which type of switch that Left Lock has. If it's an opto, then it's possible that you polished the plastics a little too good and it's throwing off the optical beam.

#5 2 years ago

Are you talking about the Lagoon shot?

The Turtle Eggs shot goes under the island and feeds the saucer and pops, there's no lock there. The Lagoon shot goes under Kona and to a coil under the plastic you've circled. There's a switch there so the game knows when to kick the ball back out into play. If the switch doesn't work the ball will just sit there. You say the coil does work in test mode?

Everything is below the playfield except the coil which sits on top. It's a bear to get at because of all the layers of plastics and the island in that area. On my old GI that coil had failed so rather than fix it the previous owner screwed a post into the playfield blocking the Lagoon shot completely.

d15a83280ff171e3b7275735d8190163d1f51f78 (resized).jpgd15a83280ff171e3b7275735d8190163d1f51f78 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligan-s-island-and-ball-lock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.