You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20230601_155214783.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20230601_155054436 (resized).jpg
#1 10 months ago

Hello all!

Can someone take some pics of J126 plug on the driver board for Gilligan, I am getting blown transistor at Q32 for the ramp down coil, tried 2 different driver boards and both do same thing, tried new coil same issue blows tranny immediately and coil locks on, it says in the manual J126-9 is the pin but J126-9 is keyed there, my game has the down coil at pin 8. Hopefully a pic can show me what's going on with this thing.

#2 10 months ago

Page 3-6 in the manual has the pinouts for J126.

What does the game say ? Go into Tests - Coils - stop on the coil in question. Hit the start button, then hit the "+" diagnostic button. That will step you through coil name, drive transistor, wire colors, and connector and pin info.

Manuals can be wrong, I haven't seen Williams software wrong yet.

LTG : )

#3 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page 3-6 in the manual has the pinouts for J126.

That page has ramp down J126 pin 8 Blue wire gray stripe and pin 11 Violet wire green stripe.

#4 10 months ago
Quoted from Profgrif:

I am getting blown transistor at Q32 for the ramp down coil, tried 2 different driver boards and both do same thing, tried new coil same issue blows tranny immediately and coil locks on

Check the tieback diode wire. Without the back EMF diode (tieback diode) the transistor will always blow once it is energized.

#5 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

That page has ramp down J126 pin 8 Blue wire gray stripe and pin 11 Violet wire green stripe.

Thank you Lloyd! I will check this out in the morning!

Chris

Quoted from DumbAss:

Check the tieback diode wire. Without the back EMF diode (tieback diode) the transistor will always blow once it is energized.

Now we are getting somewhere! There isn't a diode on the coil that was in there and none on new coil, I will ad a diode to the coil then! Man I have been so stumped by this for hours!

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from Profgrif:

Thank you Lloyd! I will check this out in the morning!
Chris

Now we are getting somewhere! There isn't a diode on the coil that was in there and none on new coil, I will ad a diode to the coil then! Man I have been so stumped by this for hours!

Ok now I am stumped! So manual says 2 pins together on J126 pins 10 and 11 so I jumped the wire across and still get tranny blowing as soon as it's activated, what the heck am I missing here, what is this tieback diode? I did some reading but I have to be missing something, I even tried putting a diode on the ramp down coil and it still blows the tranny, ramp down is Q32 J126 pin 8
What am I missing? Is there a diode that needs to go on this Violet Green wire? A couple of these wires were pulled out of the connector so didn't see if one needed to be jumped to 2 pins. Seriously this has to be something simple, the game worked when I pulled the playfield.

PXL_20230601_155054436 (resized).jpgPXL_20230601_155054436 (resized).jpgPXL_20230601_155214783.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230601_155214783.MP (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gilligan-need-pic-of-j126-connector-gilligan-s-island-driver-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.