You

Linked Games

• Gigi Gottlieb, 1963

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1666 (resized).JPG
IMG_1665 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I’m trying to get a Gigi to light a (any) match lamp consistently at game over. Right now that’s only happening about two thirds of the time. The other third of the time the switch contacts on the 0-9 stepper aren’t lining up, and therefore no match lamp is lighting.

I’ve made what I think are the usual adjustments, including:
• Removing, cleaning, and adjusted the positioning of the coil
• Checked the various spring tensions
• Checked the bracket that limits the movement of the coil plunger into the coil
• Checked the bracket that limits the travel of the arm that rings the bell

When manually activating the coil, I noticed that the arm that “pushes” the gear up and advances the stepper wasn’t always pulling in far enough to push under and up on a gear tooth. So I was pretty sure adjusting that spring tension tighter, so that the arm always retracted under a gear tooth, would fix the problem. Wrong! The stepper is still occasionally missing a contact.

Any suggestions for the likely cause or other adjustments I can make?

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

There are two set-screws that secure the spider to the gear axle on the rivet-board side of the unit. The spider is the cast metal piece that is attached to the gear axle. The wiper disc is then attached to the arms of the spider via three machine screws.

Be sure that the two set-screws for the spider are cinched down very tight. These often get a bit loose, allowing the spider to slip around on the gear axle - which makes it impossible to get consistent alignment of the wipers as the gear steps around.

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago

Also, if the drive arm isn't quite catching one gear tooth, you may need to slide the entire drive coil case back a little bit to get more travel on the drive arm. There are two screws that secure the drive coil case to the stepper baseplate, accessed from the rivet-board side of the stepper. You'll probably need to remove the rivet board to get at both of the coil case hold-down screws. When you loosen these screws, you'll be able to slide the coil case up or down to set the amount of travel for the drive arm.

Finally, make sure that the coil stop mounting stem for the drive coil has not broken off, allowing the stop to become loose inside the drive coil sleeve.

- TimMe

#4 7 years ago

Thanks Tim for your detailed suggestions. The set screw holding the spider to the axle is tight (on this Gigi there is only one screw). I've tried sliding the coil case back and forward to adjust the amount of drive arm travel, as well as the limiting bracket next to the coil. No adjustment so far has made any noticeable change. The coil stop itself is also tight. I'm wondering now if it's possible that the problem is caused by the stepper being turned "too far", like 1-1/2 the desired distance rather than 1/2?

Let me know if you have any other thoughts. In the meantime, maybe I'll get lucky and find the right combination of adjustments that will make it light the match lamps consistently. Thanks again!

#5 7 years ago

If you slide back the coil case, and the coil stop is not loose, that should absolutely increase the drive arm travel and you should easily be able to get the drive pawl to move far enough to drop into the middle of the next tooth on the gear.

There is an anti-lash stop located between the gear and the drive coil case. It's a long, thin metal L bracket mounted on the stepper baseplate with two small machine screws. Make sure that you loosen this stop and slide it all the way back before you try to adjust the drive arm travel. If this stop is too far forward, it will keep you from being able to make a good adjustment.

- TimMe

#6 7 years ago

There are three screws in the disc.
untighten them and adjust the disc so that it is positioned so that it "hits the nails".
That's the easiest way to get it right.

#7 7 years ago

At the risk of jinxing myself, I think this issue is now fixed. As I started to suspect, it turns out the stepper was being advanced too far rather than not far enough. I didn't confirm that until I actually watched the stepper advance during play and could see that sometimes the stepper would advance as far as two and a half rivets. So although I ended up trying a lot of adjustments, I think what did it was adjusting the bracket between the coil and sprocket to limit the travel of the plunger, as well as adjusting the bracket that limits the travel of the arm in the opposite direction (in the upper left of the picture). Those adjustments eventually limited the stepper advance to the distance between rivets - no more and no less. After getting that right, I noticed that the rivets and spring loaded "fingers" weren't quite centered. That was fixed by loosening the three screws that hold down the outside bakelite disc and rotating it slightly. I've ended about fifteen games in a row with a match lamp lighting each time, so keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help!

IMG_1665 (resized).JPGIMG_1665 (resized).JPG

IMG_1666 (resized).JPGIMG_1666 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gigi-match-lamps-not-lighting-consistently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.