(Topic ID: 234132)

Gibson acoustic guitar. old. What's it worth???

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gryszzz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

!CFNHgpgBGk~$(KGrHqYOKjwE09f3oU91BNUYF2Q-lQ~~_1 (resized).jpg
willies-guitar (resized).jpg
IMG_9340 (resized).JPG
IMG_9346 (resized).JPG
IMG_9344 (resized).JPG
IMG_9342 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I will have an opportunity to bid on this old Gibson guitar at auction tonight. What model is it? What is this beater worth?

Could be a 30s L-00 model? 40s model. 50s J-45. Something like that.

The finish is check marked and cracked on all surfaces. There is planking on the front. There is slight warping on the top. Neck is straight. Tuner knobs are broken. With good tuners and new strings I think it would be playable.

I know some of you here are into vintage guitars. Should I bid? If so, what kind of money? Or should I just watch it sell to someone else?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas.

IMG_9340 (resized).JPGIMG_9340 (resized).JPG

IMG_9342 (resized).JPGIMG_9342 (resized).JPG

IMG_9344 (resized).JPGIMG_9344 (resized).JPG

IMG_9346 (resized).JPGIMG_9346 (resized).JPG

#9 5 years ago

Thank you all for the insightful opinions. Before I posted this, I did stop a a local guitar shop for an opinion. An employee sold a 1938 model with scripted lettering. He got some nice dollars for the one. He is telling me I could bid up to $500.00 and not get hurt.

The tone was substandard. But those might still be the original strings. and it is not in tune. It looks rough, but there were not that many scratches in the pick guard. I'm thinking it got tossed under the bed wet and was forgotten about.

Some pics I saw led me to believe it is a 50s model J-something. I noticed a big drop off in prices in the 50s models when compared to the 30s and 40s models.

I have enough projects and would only be looking to flip it. Shipping to anyone of you would cost too much in packing time and postage.

Yes, I was hoping for that "striking gold" moment and maybe you could see me on Antiques Road Show like the girl that had that $75,000.00 mandolin.

Again, thanks all.

#13 5 years ago

I cannot answer any other questions about the guitar. It started out at $25.00 with two guys after it. Sold for $290.00. I talked to the winning bidder and he acted like he knew nothing about the guitar other than it was a Gibson and it was old.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

To me that usually means it was loved/played on a daily basis.

Sounds like you are talking about Trigger. This one will bring a large fortune some day.

willies-guitar (resized).jpgwillies-guitar (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gibson-acoustic-guitar-old-what-s-it-worth?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.