(Topic ID: 234132)

Gibson acoustic guitar. old. What's it worth???

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gryszzz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

!CFNHgpgBGk~$(KGrHqYOKjwE09f3oU91BNUYF2Q-lQ~~_1 (resized).jpg
willies-guitar (resized).jpg
IMG_9340 (resized).JPG
IMG_9346 (resized).JPG
IMG_9344 (resized).JPG
IMG_9342 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I will have an opportunity to bid on this old Gibson guitar at auction tonight. What model is it? What is this beater worth?

Could be a 30s L-00 model? 40s model. 50s J-45. Something like that.

The finish is check marked and cracked on all surfaces. There is planking on the front. There is slight warping on the top. Neck is straight. Tuner knobs are broken. With good tuners and new strings I think it would be playable.

I know some of you here are into vintage guitars. Should I bid? If so, what kind of money? Or should I just watch it sell to someone else?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas.

IMG_9340 (resized).JPGIMG_9340 (resized).JPG

IMG_9342 (resized).JPGIMG_9342 (resized).JPG

IMG_9344 (resized).JPGIMG_9344 (resized).JPG

IMG_9346 (resized).JPGIMG_9346 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

I’m no expert on pricing vintage guitars, but I suspect most high dollar vintage guitars are going to be martins.

How is the action? If the action is like buttah, then it is worth something to me. I assume the tone is great to amazing as well. Those strings look old so that may be difficult.

If the action is amazing, I’d pay up to $400 (maybe $600). You won’t lose a ton of money and you’d have a well constructed vintage instrument with great action ootb to rival the cost of a modern Mexico assembled guitar with some composite components. On the other hand you might strike gold!

Otherwise just go on Craigslist and buy a cool Martin or Taylor.

I personally have a gpcpa4 (Martin) and tonally it’s lovely and the action is perfect.

#3 5 years ago

Upon further inspection it doesn’t look like it has seen much love. Maybe even spent a night or two in the rain?!

You might get it for a song.

#4 5 years ago

Is it HUO?

Probably not worth much as it's trashed. If you play I'd just take it to the shop and see if they can save it, and enjoy having it around the house.

I wouldn't pay much for it but I'm not a collector. Maybe a couple hundred bucks?

Quoted from holminone:

I’m no expert on pricing vintage guitars, but I suspect most high dollar vintage guitars are going to be martins.
How is the action? If the action is like buttah, then it is worth something to me. I assume the tone is great to amazing as well. Those strings look old so that may be difficult.

I doubt you could tell any of that from the current state. Those strings are decades old and not all there. Wouldn't trust those tuning pegs either (you broke it, you bought it!) Thing looks like a mess frankly.

#5 5 years ago

problem is most of those old gibsons need a neck reset just due to age... and that is costly. I had a 1950 j45 just like that and I sold it before putting that money in to reset the neck. Unless you know and trust someone to do it correctly, it can be risky. Plus it looks like that one has had a rough life... Id pay $500 if the neck was glued on and straight, and still somewhat playable ( decent action). Im sure it sounds great as it has that old wood.

#6 5 years ago

I’d pass. You’re buying yourself about $750 worth of trouble. You’d be surprised how much many of the old Gibsons and Martins are not worth.

#7 5 years ago

Definitely not from the 30s or early 40s - those would have a script G on the neck. Block letter Gibson started in 1947

#8 5 years ago

If I had to guess I'd say it's a 1950's era LG-1. Not particularly valuable unless in very good condition, which this one is not. At the time it was made this was one of the lowest end, or "student" guitars that Gibson was producing. Without putting my hands on it and inspecting up close I wouldn't pay a cent over $300 for it, and that may be too much. At that price you might sink around another grand into it getting it back into playable condition, and then would be lucky to recoup that on the secondary market if you were looking to ever sell it. There are much nicer guitars that you can get for $1300. Vintage isn't always valuable or desirable, especially when it comes to musical instruments.

#9 5 years ago

Thank you all for the insightful opinions. Before I posted this, I did stop a a local guitar shop for an opinion. An employee sold a 1938 model with scripted lettering. He got some nice dollars for the one. He is telling me I could bid up to $500.00 and not get hurt.

The tone was substandard. But those might still be the original strings. and it is not in tune. It looks rough, but there were not that many scratches in the pick guard. I'm thinking it got tossed under the bed wet and was forgotten about.

Some pics I saw led me to believe it is a 50s model J-something. I noticed a big drop off in prices in the 50s models when compared to the 30s and 40s models.

I have enough projects and would only be looking to flip it. Shipping to anyone of you would cost too much in packing time and postage.

Yes, I was hoping for that "striking gold" moment and maybe you could see me on Antiques Road Show like the girl that had that $75,000.00 mandolin.

Again, thanks all.

#10 5 years ago

Is there a serial number on the back of the headstock

#11 5 years ago

Yea looks like a 1954 lG1 or LG2 to me (check if the bracing ls X or ladder)

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I’ve played every Martin up to D41 and personally I wouldn’t trade my 60s reissue custom shop Gibson J45 adjustable bridge or my J45 Donovan for any of them. But that’s just me. I obviously like the J45 lol

I agree with some of the above posts. I bet that is an lg

#13 5 years ago

I cannot answer any other questions about the guitar. It started out at $25.00 with two guys after it. Sold for $290.00. I talked to the winning bidder and he acted like he knew nothing about the guitar other than it was a Gibson and it was old.

#14 5 years ago

Personally I would never buy a guitar based on pictures. There's just too many things that could be wrong with it that a uneducated person would not see or worse, divulge. Plus, you can't hear how it sounds through the pictures and that's where it's really at. If the guitar is beat up so what? To me that usually means it was loved/played on a daily basis. So many people gasp at the site of a guitar that has a scratch/wear here or there and they think a guitar should always be in pristine condition. It's like a pinball machine, the more it was played the more it was loved and worn down to the wood. If I posted pictures of my guitars some guys would probably think there junk, but to me it shows my years of loving to play.

John

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

To me that usually means it was loved/played on a daily basis.

Sounds like you are talking about Trigger. This one will bring a large fortune some day.

willies-guitar (resized).jpgwillies-guitar (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sounds like you are talking about Trigger. This one will bring a large fortune some day.
[quoted image]

Yes it's probably the most famous guitar in history, it's priceless. I'm sure someday it will sit in Willie's museum down in Nashville. When that happens that guitar should never be played again as there is nobody that could play it in the same way that Willie does.

John

!CFNHgpgBGk~$(KGrHqYOKjwE09f3oU91BNUYF2Q-lQ~~_1 (resized).jpg!CFNHgpgBGk~$(KGrHqYOKjwE09f3oU91BNUYF2Q-lQ~~_1 (resized).jpg
#17 5 years ago

Let us bow our heads

ViolinSteve what you think? I wouldn't give $10 for that oar.

#18 5 years ago

Pick guard looks good .
Too bad they put it on the wrong fuckin side

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gibson-acoustic-guitar-old-what-s-it-worth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.