Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rappelbox
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Has anybody tried or seen these GiantDOTS displays from Boston Pinball? These look very cool and...BIG!

http://bostonpinballcompany.com/gd.htm

#2 10 years ago

They sure do. Would put one on top of my Sterns to help people around see the animation but I don't think they are compatible with the latest Sterns yet.

#3 10 years ago

At $480 a pop, I think I'd rather pay $80 less for a colorDMD (at least the ones that are programmed so far). Curious how they are fitting a bigger display in the same location? Are they cutting the speaker panel?

#4 10 years ago

If nothing else, they can be used as replacements for the large sega dmd's that seem to be impossible to find.

#5 10 years ago

Saw one in action and I thought it looked less than great. There is a lot of space between the pixels and it is very noticeable at playing distance. The LEDS create a 'blurry' image which could be from the rounded surface. However, if you are standing 50 feet back, you can clearly see the display and it looks great.

1 week later
    #6 10 years ago

Hi Guys, Jim from the BPC here. Just wanted to add a few comments here.

We displayed them for the first time at the Pinfest Show in Allentown and had very positive feedback from everyone that saw them, and everyone who purchased one at the show and installed them in their machines was very happy with them. We offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied for any reason.

To address specific concerns in this thread;

On Stern machines:
    We have tested them on several Stern machines and have customers with machines including Spider-Man, Avatar and Tron. If you have a specific Stern machine in mind, please email us and we will look into any compatibility issues.

On cost:
    Recently Stern announced a standard size Blue LED display for their machines at $399. A Blue X-Pin display is $325. So we think our double sized Blue display at $499 is not unreasonable. And we do have to include a custom mounting panel and custom acrylic bezel. You can review our install instructions to get an idea how the GiantDOTS display is installed.

On perception:
    I think when you play a machine with a GiantDOTS display for the first time (or even a standard size LED display), you notice differences that are inherent between LEDs and Plasma. We have also seen that different machine manufactures and some of the older machines have differences in the timing and frequency of the graphics that may seem different in the transition. But once you play the machine for a while, your perception is adjusted to the new display, weather it be a different color, a different size or Plasma vs. DMD. (Just like when we switched from tube TV's to digital.) As mentioned earlier, we have had very positive feedback from our existing customer base, and we stand by our product if you are not satisfied with it.

The color DMD is also cool, everyone has a preference towards a certain product, we are just providing another. And as with anything, you be the judge and decide which products you like.

In regards to the large Sega DMD, that display is 192x64 dots. None of the standard 128x32 displays will work as a replacement for those. Yes, a standard Sega replacement plasma display is around $400-$500, an LED version of that would be at least that much to produce, since you need 12,228 LEDs!!! As opposed to 4,096 for a standard size display.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks, Jim

#7 10 years ago

Glws of them.

#8 10 years ago

Looks pretty cool, but then saw that they are not available for large size sega games.

11 months later
    #9 9 years ago

Jim,

Would the GiantDOTS work as a DE 128x16 replacement?

Thanks,

Bill

#10 9 years ago

I've seen them and I didn't care for the way they look. Unless you have a specific need, I'd get a color dmd or one fo the colored xpin displays instead.

1 year later
    #11 8 years ago

I want to see who has these....ANY one on here?

#12 8 years ago

You can easily have any size and dot pitch you want and connect it to your pinball with these controllers
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-led-panels-for-dmd-replacement
    The displays simply need a HUB75 or HUB08 connector which covers most of the displays in Aliexpress.

8 months later
    #13 7 years ago

Can somebody post a video of this thing in action!?

My SMB is gassing, should last a while, but it would be a good application for it!

#14 7 years ago

Well, have you seen one of these?

Works like a charm...

From here:
    https://germangamingsupplies.com/Topper-mit-PIN2DMD-kompatibler-Hardware

Greetings,
    Dom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/giantdots-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.