• Latest reply 7 years ago by pindude80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170404_192324152 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

The left back corner of the GI in my Road Kings has been out. Yesterday I found a bad fuse so I replaced it. The GI worked, I thought I had fixed the problem. Tonight I thought I will replace any bulbs I see out; only found one so I replaced it, fired the game up, thought all was well only to find that same section of GI was out again. I immediately looked at the fuse and it was bad again. I put a new fuse in and tried again. I noticed the lights on this part of the GI were barely lit and then I looked up and saw the fuse get red hot and then blow.

To start diagnosing I removed the bulb that I replaced, still blew the fuse. I thought maybe that socket went bad so I checked for continuity and it had a completed circuit so I removed one wire from that bulb holder and it still blew the fuse. Come to find out all of the GI on the game that I tested shows continuity and as I found the only way it doesn't is if one of the wires is de-soldered from the holder so to me this makes finding a bad bulb holder difficult.

I've narrowed down the problem to somewhere on the playfield because I found the connector that goes from the backbox to the playfield, disconnected it and it doesn't blow the fuse.

Can someone tell me what is the best way for me to track down where the short is occurring? I gave all of the GI using these wires a good visual inspection and nothing jumped out at me.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

Unhook a wire from each GI socket and hook them back up one at a time until KABLOOIE.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unhook a wire from each GI socket and hook them back up one at a time until KABLOOIE.
LTG : )

I was wondering if this is what it would come down to or if there was an easier way, which it sounds like there isn't. Thanks for the guidance LTG!

#4 7 years ago

If you have the section of gi's isolated to where you fill the problem is then take out those bulbs. With a new fuse in and working, nothing shorting out the string, then add one bulb at a time till you find the bad socket. Also make sure you are using the right bulbs. Hope this helps and good luck.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

If you have the section of gi's isolated to where you fill the problem is then take out those bulbs. With a new fuse in and working, nothing shorting out the string, then add one bulb at a time till you find the bad socket. Also make sure you are using the right bulbs. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last night I was thinking of doing something like this, but if the problem is the socket it will still blow the fuse even if there isn't a bulb in it right?

#6 7 years ago

I would think that once the bulb is put in that is then completing the circuit. If with all bulbs in section out and it works, no blown fuse, then the short should be at a socket. I would think you could add a bulb till it fails. Also double check you have the right amp bulbs for that game. They are wired in series and continuity shows they are connected no breaks. If that's the case it should power on fine with that string out, but once you add bulbs you should find the problem.

#7 7 years ago

Did you take out the playfield of the cabinet ?
There are lamps at the back of the playfield and if you put the playfield on the floor on its back edge, you will bend (short) them..
These also aren't really visible with the playfield installed, so don't forget to check these sockets.

As for your problem remove all bulbs and put them back one by one..

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

There are lamps at the back of the playfield and if you put the playfield on the floor on its back edge, you will bend (short) them..
These also aren't really visible with the playfield installed, so don't forget to check these sockets.

No I did not have the PF out, but when I was working on the game I discovered the bulbs you are talking about, I will make sure to check them. Thanks for the reply and heads up!

#9 7 years ago

Did you get this fixed?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

^^is what it was! The funny thing is I never had the PF out. Last night I pulled all the bulbs and it still was blowing the fuse. I then unplugged the harness for the lights that are on the backboard and the fuse didn't blow so next I unscrewed the backpanel and gave the lights a good looking over and found one of the leads for the light was bent over and barely touching the housing causing the short. It must have just been barely touching also because I hooked my DVM up to it and I had to push on it ever so slightly to get it to show continuity so that must have been why it would go from frying the fuse and then not frying the fuse between the different times of me lifting the PF to work on the game.

A big thank you to everyone that told me what to look for and how to go about conducting my diagnosis!

#11 7 years ago

This is the socket that was causing the short. The picture was taken after I straightened it, but the lead on the left was bent up and ever so slightly making contact with the bulb holder.

IMG_20170404_192324152 (resized).jpgIMG_20170404_192324152 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Right on glad you got this fixed and thank you for the update. Stuff like this I feel helps everybody in trying to diagnose and fix things.

#13 7 years ago

Yes sir, I like to close out my tech threads once the problem is resolved in case someone else in the future has the same problem and it can help them, that is the true power of a technical forum in my opinion.

Thanks again and have fun playing pinball! I had a good time playing Road Kings last night with all of the GI working

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-problem-need-help-with-diagnosis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.