(Topic ID: 165409)

GI Power Supply Problem Williams Comet

By Mikespinball

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mikespinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Having a problem with my Comet GI circuit. When plugged in, no GI's working at all. My Comets power supply board connector at 3j9 was burnt a bit or had been replaced. I fixed this and noted above a fuse is installed in the board where other Comets power supply board I viewed on line had just a jumper wire installed. This fuse appears to be factory and not installed by someone. The manual shows no fuse suggested. I started out with a 5amp in this location and it blew quite quickly. Tried a 10amp and the GI's did work, but the fuse did get a red glow to it.
Checked the manual on these two lines coming into this board and it states that they are to be 6.3V AC. Checking these two wires incoming power to the PS board, one side shows 6.3 to 7V AC and the other is almost twice as much. It tested at 11 to 12V AC.
So the question is, do I have a bad transformer? Never had this problem before. If so I do have a parts machine of a Bally Kings of Steel. Since this machine is only a year older, would the transformer for this machine work in the Comet if this is my problem?
Lastly, once I get this repaired, what size of fuse do I use in the board for the 6.3 AC circuit?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Willett

#3 7 years ago

OK, did that and it tested 6.84V A/C. So I would assume that this is OK then. Question again, I did have a larger fuse in this circuit as stated above and it did short out at the right terminal of the fuse (20amp fuse). This did take many hours to have this happen as I don't have the machine on for more than 6-8 hours or so when the boys and I are playing the machines I own. Is there another problem or did I just not have a good enough connection at the fuse? Replaced the fuse end with a new terminal, but have not tested yet as I would like to know what size of fuse should I use in this location? Your suggestion?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mikespinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-power-supply-problem-williams-comet?tu=Mikespinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.