(Topic ID: 68649)

GI OCD - Active Smoothing for GI (Williams WPC)

By herg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 364 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-04-14-16-46-03.png
2014-03-31-18.57.34.jpg
IMG_3419.JPG
thisrighthere.JPG
giocdwpc.jpg
Untitled.png
164482.gif
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ufopinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

While on the subject of CFTBL, for your next project, can you fix the chase lamp board to work with LEDs?
Much appreciated!

Strangely enough, I was just thinking about this problem. I remade the CFTBL (A-15541) chase lamp board (with triacs) because mine was heavily toasted. People started asking me about designing an LED version, but I never had the time to look at it.

Since the ramp lights get their power from standard GI, it sounds like this new product would automatically take care of LEDs on the ramp as well since it "fixes" the GI power upstream?

I'm very interested to know how the testing goes on CFTBL ... then I can let my customers know there's a solution out there.

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The TRIACs are going to be controlled based on the zero crossing, but the power from the GI OCD will be running at a totally different frequency. You could set the OCD to feed it solid DC by setting the duty to 100%, but the the TRIACs would not turn off.

Okay, so your mod will send the proper signals, my board simply has to pass those along without (for lack of a better term) TRIAC'ing it up?

Do you know if the outputs from your board could guarantee things like the solid colored GI wire would always be "GI" voltage, and the white/striped wire is GND? Maybe from there I could figure out how to mod my board to do what needs to be done?

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Bill,
It's the other way around, but yes, I could guarantee that the solid wires are ground (switched through MOSFETs) and the white striped ones are ~9V DC. If you'd like to see a schematic, just let me know, and I'll email it to you.
All the OCD would be able to do in this case is to provide the chase light board with a DC input rather than the AC that it normally gets. The control portion of it, and as a result, the smoothness of how the chase lamps would turn on/off, however would have to remain on your board (the Chase Light II). Since there are two solenoid drivers that are used to sequence through the lamps, you'd have to use those to figure out when each set of chase lights was turning on/off and ramp the duty cycle of the GI power that is being routed out to the chase lights.
I'm really not familiar with how those solenoid (DRIVE1 and DRIVE2) signals are being used, so I can't really even make an accurate guess as to whether they would work at all with the current design and a pulsed DC input. If they change very slowly, and the control line going to the TRIACs remains high for multiple seconds, it might work pretty much as intended except that the turn on/off would still be abrupt as LEDs typically are. If you set the OCD to 100% duty, providing steady DC in place the old AC, I think the TRIACs would remain locked on.

You can send me a schematic if you like, but I'm not sure it's necessary. What I needed to know, you've posted. I'll start looking at my board and see if I can mod it to handle DC instead of AC, without some serious reworking or building of a separate/different board. When do you think your board will become available, at least to the point where I could borrow one in-house for testing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 249.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 38.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 38.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 49.00
£ 39.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ufopinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-ocd-active-smoothing-for-gi-work-in-progress?tu=ufopinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.