(Topic ID: 68649)

GI OCD - Active Smoothing for GI (Williams WPC)

By herg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 364 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-04-14-16-46-03.png
2014-03-31-18.57.34.jpg
IMG_3419.JPG
thisrighthere.JPG
giocdwpc.jpg
Untitled.png
164482.gif
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevinleedrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#162 10 years ago

Preorder here if you haven't already. http://ledocd.com/preorder.html

2 weeks later
#188 10 years ago

Just played a couple games of TZ after installing the GI OCD board.

I didn't have any major problems with installation. I waited to fasten the board until I had most of the cables connected to make sure there were no problems. I did end up installing it very far back to provide clearance for the USB cable (per a previous e-mail from herg, I was expecting this). Since the back two screw holes are so close to the corner now, I will just have to put some adhesive mounts back there unless/until a better solution comes along. I didn't have any issues with the ribbon cable distances.

The only issue I found is that I have some of the 545 replacement LEDs from Cointaker in the backbox, which are made to blink like the original 545 blinkers, and now they don't do anything. I'm guessing that the only way to fix this would be to design some new blinker LEDs... or to just give up on having blinking bulbs.

All that aside, there are GI effects on this game that I had completely forgotten about, and it is so great to see them again. When the powerball is out, the game really goes nuts. As for the configuration, I had to change String 4 and String 5 to use Input 4 and Input 5, and that was it. I may fiddle with the brightness a little, but it looks really good right now with defaults. Once I can hook my topper up to it, I may try to get a video.

Thanks so much herg for making this happen.

#190 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Are you thinking about using it to control your topper?

Yeah, my topper is a custom job I drew up in Illustrator based on the game artwork. Greg at Xtreme Pinball did the cutting for me. http://img-s.pinside.com/gameroom/07/medium/07d1a7ec3b57b43a7298c34f8652c407905c0eac.jpg Since it is "The Power", it's cool to have it blink with the callouts.

Quoted from herg:

They control the backbox, the clock lighting, and the powerfield lamp, and I've always thought they were nice to have bright while in attract mode, but they were distractions during play.

Yeah, I think I will probably dim the clock down a bit. I recently switched to the white proto decal, and it lets a lot more light through than the colored one.

Here's a short, rough clip I took earlier of the GI effects while on the powerfield. I'll borrow a better video camera soon...

Now I just need a Flasher OCD, and all my LEDs will be tamed lol.

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Populate Q10 with an IRL540 transistor.

Ah I see now. I read some of the earlier discussion about the GI Buddy, etc. and became confused.

Quoted from herg:

I can't hardly stand to use LED flashers except in certain cases.

My flashers do feel out of place now, so I'm seriously thinking about changing some of them out. Right now, I only have one incandescent flasher in the center spot because it feels more like a camera flash when the game shows the next camera award.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I honestly can't imagine why anyone would use LED flashers.

I'm leaving LEDs in the ones that are mounted directly beneath plastics, but I admit that I may be overly cautious. Pics like this one frighten me.

thisrighthere.JPGthisrighthere.JPG

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

After playing with the settings on my own TZ, I found that the default Fade Delay Max was a bit high. There really weren't any slow fades that I saw, so I set that to 3 on mine. I also dropped the intermediate brightness values so that there was more difference from full brightness to the dimmed states to make them stand out more.
Between the new LEDs and a ColorDMD in Sigma mode, I'm falling in love with TZ all over again.

I'm running these settings now, and everything looks great. All my connectors arrived today, so I was finally able to connect my topper. Works beautifully with it tied to String 5 (Playfield Right), max brightness at 60, and the two lowest values set to zero. Attached is a pic of the additional 0.1" connectors and IRL540 transistor installed.

2014-03-31-18.57.34.jpg2014-03-31-18.57.34.jpg

#208 10 years ago

Would it work to set the min brightness to 100 and max to 0 to get an inverse effect? I don't plan on doing this, but maybe someone out there would have a use for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 249.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevinleedrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-ocd-active-smoothing-for-gi-work-in-progress?tu=kevinleedrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.