(Topic ID: 68649)

GI OCD - Active Smoothing for GI (Williams WPC)

By herg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 364 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-04-14-16-46-03.png
2014-03-31-18.57.34.jpg
IMG_3419.JPG
thisrighthere.JPG
giocdwpc.jpg
Untitled.png
164482.gif
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 10 years ago

This is so damn cool. Thanks for the work Herg. If you'd like some testing in a WH2O let me know.

#62 10 years ago

New video looks great! This is the best thing on pinside right now by far!

3 weeks later
#87 10 years ago

This is so cool. I'm assuming this will control the backbox too? I've been wanting to LED the backbox of my White Water in particular but have never done it because of the dimming issue.

1 week later
#108 10 years ago

Brilliant!

2 months later
#183 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Get Herg's GI OCD board first. Greatest thing since ice cream. It's what the whole LED movement has needed from day one. Very dramatic and satisfying results if your machine does any GI dimming effects at all. Finally you can enjoy your machine with full dimming and show it off without having to offer any explanations or caveats about flickering GI's.
Plus with the patched ROM your inserts may be tolerable as they are. Not as nice or have the control of the LED OCD but you can get the LED OCD later if desired. Better yet - just buy them both as Herg wants to put in a swimming pool soon

I agree with this. The LED OCD is probably not going to be nearly as noticable as adding the GI OCD, especially in WPC and WPC95 games.

I tried LEDs in the GI of my WPC and couldn't stand it. It kills the dimming, there was flickering, ghosting, harsh on/off overbearing brightness, etc. The only way LEDs are tollerable in a dimming game is to turn the dimming off entirely, and that castrates the lighting design of the game (some of which affects game play cues too). Given the choice between LEDs and dimming, I chose the dimming hands down.

Most people can deal fine with LEDs in the inserts. Granted, they still do the harsh on/off and you can have some other minor issues. It makes sense the Herg called it the "LED OCD" because a lot of people don't notice the difference between incandescants and LEDs in the inserts. It's mostly the obsessive compulsive crowd that tends to get bothered by LEDs in the insterts. LEDs in GI, on the other hand, you don't have to have OCD to be bothered by it.

1 week later
#192 10 years ago
Quoted from kevinleedrum:

All that aside, there are GI effects on this game that I had completely forgotten about, and it is so great to see them again. When the powerball is out, the game really goes nuts.

Yeah, the effort the designers put into light shows on games in the mid 90s is substantial. I love how the dimming is all cued up to what's going on the game. It really enhances the experience, which is why I could never bring myself to put LEDs in the GI.

#201 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I honestly can't imagine why anyone would use LED flashers.

I use them for color in a few select spots. They can be pretty darn overwhelming and tend to work better if they are behind a colored dome or set back deep so that they're obsured by playfield parts.

11 months later
#282 9 years ago

I have yet to install mine, because I still need to buy a bunch of LEDs, but when I do I'm going to plan everything out and actually run all the wires and whatnot before I mount the board. I'm also going to try to find a way not to drill any holes.

7 months later
#312 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Harold's a genius. I may not be- I'm having trouble understanding exactly how I should adjust my GI OCD in my TOM. Just installed it a few mins ago and tested a key dimming effect- the multi-ball start-up. The flicker I experienced before (I've always had LEDs in the GI and just dealt with the flicker) is gone, hooray- however, with the default settings on the GI OCD, it doesn't appear to have enabled for any dimming. Can Herg or someone else lay out a good settings synopsis for TOM ?

Did you go into the game's menu (not the GI OCD but the actual game's menu) and turn on the dimming? A lot of times people turn it off when they install LEDs.

1 week later
#321 8 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Ok, as I do not see any flickering of the GI on both of my machines (at least I do not notice it), I would only be interested in the LED OCD. Is there a preset or is it absolutely necessary to adjust it with a PC connected? Would love to have a plug and play device!

Keep in mind you have to go into your menu and turn the dimming "ON" first, then look for flickering in the GI. I suspect Roadshow has some dimming based on the year it was put out, although I'm admittedly not that familiar with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 37.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 249.00
£ 38.00
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-ocd-active-smoothing-for-gi-work-in-progress?tu=jam_burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.