(Topic ID: 68649)

GI OCD - Active Smoothing for GI (Williams WPC)

By herg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 364 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-04-14-16-46-03.png
2014-03-31-18.57.34.jpg
IMG_3419.JPG
thisrighthere.JPG
giocdwpc.jpg
Untitled.png
164482.gif
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dkpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well I for one am glad you're thinking about it.

FWIW: This is a cool project. I wish I was working on it too

#36 10 years ago

I am a little confused as to where all of the heat is coming from. The game has GI being controlled by transistors currently right? Aren't you using the signal and then altering it to control the PWM through mosfets or transistors on your board? Why would yours be any hotter than those on the power board?

#44 10 years ago

It's interesting when you get to this point. There are a lot of ways to get it done, you try hard to find the way it's going to be the most cost effective and easiest on the user. There was already talk of running out of room in the head. Adding a power supply or a bunch of heat sinks makes it that much harder to implement.

A commercial power supply is going to run $30 - $40. If he added that to the design, someone would be asking why he didn't just rectify the 9v AC and use that instead.

#51 10 years ago

Page 2 (I never get to do that..)

Ahhhh... I remember seeing these not long ago and thinking, "I'll file that away for later". The problem is my mental file is just a giant pile of stuff that I'm rarely able to pull things from.

This is awesome, I actually laughed out loud when he pulled out the heat sink.

This isn't an open source project?!?

Seriously, anyone stealing this idea - I will help you with the ball kicking if it happens!

On another note and not to derail the thread, but I'm planning on starting some open source pinball projects. Little circuits guys can build and learn from that apply to pinball. I'm hoping for this exact kind of interaction.

1 week later
#69 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

is now running at around 32C with the LT4320 rectifier.

This is really cool. The whole project is, but this part is a gem. I wish I had one of the machines to test with.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#121 10 years ago

Herg: This may be too late in the process, but what are the chances of getting a 12v header that's PWM controlled like the rest of the output? This would allow guys to connect their toppers, undercab lighting, and other popular 12v mods to the GI and get the nice effects when using the dimmed GI.

My boards will do "on and off" but it wouldn't be as clean or cheap as having your board control the 12v output directly.

#125 10 years ago

I don't know what power rails you have on the board right now. I figured if you had 12v on there already you could maybe just add an additional mosfet that would switch 12v at the same rate as it's doing the rest of the strings.

I'm not sure the SSR on the GI Buddy is fast enough to keep up with the PWM from the GI OCD. The data sheet shows

Turn On - Typical - .8 ms Max 2 ms
Turn Off - Typcial - .1 ms Max .5 ms

I'm just spitballing but that seems slow.

#128 10 years ago

Yea, I'm not really talking about the straight forward GI "ON is ON and OFF is OFF". The GI Buddy will work OK with that. It's the GI Dimming that some games use that the GI OCD does such a great job with.

The "dimming" is being achieved through PWM. The GI Buddy is fast enough for GI turning on and off, but not fast enough to read and reproduce the PWM coming down the line. My guess is that with the GI dimmed to half brightness (or whatever the steps are) the output of the GI Buddy would be fully on. Even if we removed the 10uf cap.

When you're engineering something, people always have, "Hey, can we add [x]?" suggestions. This was just mine

I guess I was anticipating people asking if the GI Buddy or the PIG 2 would follow the dimming and the reality is that their "reaction time" is fast enough for blinking lights but is too slow to follow PWM.

Edit: Also, I'm sorry I didn't mean to derail this thread. My intent wasn't to divert attention to the GI buddy. It was to point out that it would be cool for the GI OCD to also control mods.

#131 10 years ago

Polarity, hmmm. The only mod I had that used that connector was the Flynn's sign and that was purely because it was small and would fit through a hole in the playfield easily. It came with an adapter to fit the .093 molex connector on Stern machines. Honestly, I wouldn't make any special accommodations for that.

I used it on the GI Buddy because it was small too. And there's really no polarity on there. One line is straight through and the other switches. It's up to the user to decide if they want to switch ground or power.

You set the standard with the polarity there.

So are you saying you'll put the traces on the board but leave them unpopulated? That seems fair.

#133 10 years ago

Ah, I see. Again, you take the lead there. Those adapters were specific for the Flynn's sign and I never really kept polarity consistent through the whole run.

11 months later
#259 9 years ago

... and the ideal bridge is cool!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
8,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coopersburg, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
12,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
£ 49.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 69.99
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dkpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-ocd-active-smoothing-for-gi-work-in-progress?tu=dkpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.