(Topic ID: 68649)

GI OCD - Active Smoothing for GI (Williams WPC)

By herg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 364 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-04-14-16-46-03.png
2014-03-31-18.57.34.jpg
IMG_3419.JPG
thisrighthere.JPG
giocdwpc.jpg
Untitled.png
164482.gif
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG
There are 364 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 9 years ago

Eventually I'll redo the video a few posts above because the PQ is low resolution due to editing the video on my phone. However, I have another good example of GI OCD in action. I made a video of my garage and have a part where I show what Demolition Time looks like with GI OCD.

If you check it out, fast forward to 7:30 in for Demolition Time. There's actually some LED OCD in the video, but I don't do any before/after comparisons.

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I made a video of my garage and have a part where I show what Demolition Time looks like with GI OCD.

Nice video, and I agree, that is a very good example of where GI OCD can be helpful.

#303 9 years ago

I put the GI OCD in AFM and was blown away with how much better the machine looks during gameplay. Finally I can enjoy the fading/dimming as intended by the designers while also using LEDs. I still have not tinkered with settings but as they are set stock seemed pretty darn good to me. Installation was a bit tight but the end result was well worth the money and effort put in.

Thanks for making this for us pinball addicts out here Herg!!!

#304 9 years ago

Personally, I'm upset at Herg. He puts out a good product. He's given me another reason to go broke. (furiously updating all machines for LED and OCD).

2 weeks later
#305 8 years ago

First, let me say the difference is extreme! The GI OCD is a great product. I installed this on my JM this morning. The installation was straight forward. Be mindful of angling the PCB so you can insert the USB connection into the board (mentioned earlier). I had to angle mine away from the speaker panel backstop in order to have a clean connection. Other then that installation both for the software and hardware took less than 15 min. I have played with the settings and they are exactly as advertised. Please read Herg's software usage page carefully, it provides everything you need to know to get up and running. Now to the only concern I have. Now I get a distinct whine (high pitch) from the GI. Does anyone know what would cause this? It was not present before I put in the GI OCD. Any tips would be helpful.

#306 8 years ago

Noise from switching circuits can be difficult to track down. I have not had reports of the current firmware causing whine, but when I was doing testing at higher frequencies, I did. The newest boards are switching at 1kHz, while the older ones ran at 250Hz. If necessary, I can send you the 250Hz firmware or a programmer to revert your board to the older firmware. The only drawback is that if you're REALLY picky, you might be able to see some strobing at 250Hz.

Before going to that, however, the first things to check would be to make sure your ground cable is attached well, then to move cables around a bit to see if noise is coupling into the speaker cables from the GI cables. If you are not able to get rid of it, please contact me by email or PM so that we can work through the troubleshooting.

#307 8 years ago

Herg. I just spent about an hour adjusting, replacing LEDs, tightening, moving cables.... well, it worked! It went away. I adjusted the speaker wire locations by moving them away from the GI cables as you suggested. Thanks again. This MOD is a must have for the GI dimming! Can't recommend it enough.

5 months later
#308 8 years ago

Dragging this thread out again for a question on it..

Does this also smooth out the flicker you get when the solenoids are firing on some games?

#309 8 years ago
Quoted from purplemunkydishw:

Dragging this thread out again for a question on it..
Does this also smooth out the flicker you get when the solenoids are firing on some games?

It helps a little, but you will still see a bit of a dip in brightness in some cases.

#310 8 years ago

Harold's a genius. I may not be- I'm having trouble understanding exactly how I should adjust my GI OCD in my TOM. Just installed it a few mins ago and tested a key dimming effect- the multi-ball start-up. The flicker I experienced before (I've always had LEDs in the GI and just dealt with the flicker) is gone, hooray- however, with the default settings on the GI OCD, it doesn't appear to have enabled for any dimming. Can Herg or someone else lay out a good settings synopsis for TOM ?

#311 8 years ago

First, make sure GI dimming is enabled in the game's settings.

Then, make sure the new ribbon cable is attached properly.

Finally, check whether any of the strings are set to Always On in the GI OCD app.

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Harold's a genius. I may not be- I'm having trouble understanding exactly how I should adjust my GI OCD in my TOM. Just installed it a few mins ago and tested a key dimming effect- the multi-ball start-up. The flicker I experienced before (I've always had LEDs in the GI and just dealt with the flicker) is gone, hooray- however, with the default settings on the GI OCD, it doesn't appear to have enabled for any dimming. Can Herg or someone else lay out a good settings synopsis for TOM ?

Did you go into the game's menu (not the GI OCD but the actual game's menu) and turn on the dimming? A lot of times people turn it off when they install LEDs.

#313 8 years ago

I wonder if GI OCD would make a difference on my Roadshow? Do not know if any dimming is used on that machine?

#314 8 years ago

You can always go into setting and look to see if GI dimming on/off is an option.

Most machines that do have GI dimming, simply use it during long periods of inactivity. Some machines like STTNG, TOM, TOTAN to name a few use it a LOT during gameplay.

GI dimming should not be confused with turning off the GI during game play via a relay, like a lot of System 11 and older do.. GI OCD will not help with that.

#315 8 years ago

The option is there but I never noticed any dimming while playing - I must admit that I immediately switched to LEDs after buying the machine. Maybe when Super Payday starts but the GI (all LED) is switching on and off in a way I like very much. Would be interesting if it looks different with regular bulbs. Maybe other RS owners can bring some light into this?

On my STTNG I solved it easily - simply using 906 bulbs for the shields. Tried the shield with cyan LEDs - but as the shield strenght is not indicated with LEDs I reverted to bulbs. All other lights (Inserts and GI) are LEDs. Beside the missing dimming of the backbox I did not notice any drawback. Or is there any?

Nevertheless the LED OCD would really be nice as I do not like the hectic blinking of the Inserts with LEDs. Does it work in european machines with 50Hz?

#316 8 years ago

If you have dimming turned on with LEDs installed and you don't see a lot of nasty flicker, it's pretty safe to say that GI OCD will not help you. The problems, when present, are very obvious.

50Hz doesn't affect LED OCD at all. For GI OCD, I have modified firmware for 50Hz compatibility, but it isn't fully tested yet.

#317 8 years ago

Ok, as I do not see any flickering of the GI on both of my machines (at least I do not notice it), I would only be interested in the LED OCD. Is there a preset or is it absolutely necessary to adjust it with a PC connected? Would love to have a plug and play device!

#318 8 years ago

Yes, they are pre-programmed with default values that work well for most games.

#319 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

First, make sure GI dimming is enabled in the game's settings.
Then, make sure the new ribbon cable is attached properly.
Finally, check whether any of the strings are set to Always On in the GI OCD app.

I'm all set- it was string 4 and string 5 of TOM set to always on.

now onto fine tuning the five strings !

#320 8 years ago

Excited. Just ordered GI OCD for BSD! The colored GI lights look awesome but the strobing is an instant headache. Can't wait to install that GI OCD and smooth that out!

#321 8 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Ok, as I do not see any flickering of the GI on both of my machines (at least I do not notice it), I would only be interested in the LED OCD. Is there a preset or is it absolutely necessary to adjust it with a PC connected? Would love to have a plug and play device!

Keep in mind you have to go into your menu and turn the dimming "ON" first, then look for flickering in the GI. I suspect Roadshow has some dimming based on the year it was put out, although I'm admittedly not that familiar with it.

#322 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I'm all set- it was string 4 and string 5 of TOM set to always on.

Pretty sure GI OCD is preset for 4 and 5 always on. Which is oK in a T2, but in a STTNG/TAF/DemoMan etc,,, they use GI 4 and 5 for 'show' so you have to change the default.

1 week later
#323 8 years ago

I can't believe people don't find this board a necessity. There's a profound amount of flicker with GI dimming enabled - or maybe I'm overly sensitive to it. Will definitely be adding this board at some point in the future.

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I can't believe people don't find this board a necessity. There's a profound amount of flicker with GI dimming enabled - or maybe I'm overly sensitive to it. Will definitely be adding this board at some point in the future.

I replaced every GI light in BSD with non-ghosting SMD LEDs in blue and some reds. The game looked awesome, but it was an absolute nightmare of strobing. Just looking at it gave me a headache, let alone trying to follow the ball with the strobe light effect. Two days after installing the LEDs, the GI-OCD finally arrived in the mail and I installed it. The difference is like night and day. There is no strobing at all, just like real light bulbs and the game looks amazing. The difference is profound to me whether there is dimming or not. LEDs were simply not meant to run on A/C power.

Were it not for the GI-OCD, I would have to pull every single LED out of this machine despite how cool they look.

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

i think a lot of people have GI dimming disabled and don't realize they are missing out. The strobing was just ridiculous on my STTNG and my Funhouse at certain illumination levels. GI OCD completely cured it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
5 months later
#326 7 years ago

GI OCD ordered--looking forward to seeing what it can do on a DH. There is a lot of GI dimming, should give it a workout.

#327 7 years ago

Got one for Congo and another for Twilight Zone... Yet to fit.

1 week later
#328 7 years ago

Great product, but a major pita to program if you are not a PC person. Took me at least an hour to get everything downloaded--actually find it where it was buried on the PC (Mac just woulda popped it up on the desk top), then download the missing drivers, then figure out how to make it work. However, it sure tames the flicker and strobing! Very much recommended!

#329 7 years ago

I'm sorry you had difficulty.

It should be relatively easy. The USB interface is a widely used FTDI part, and at least Windows 7 - Windows 10 will automatically install the driver. You just need to plug in the USB cable and turn on the game.

I've been asked a few times about a Mac version. The driver is available (maybe already installed), but I don't really have the time or motivation to write the software. If I did, I'd like it to be Linux compatible as well. I did write a crude interface document at one time that would allow someone to write software, but it never went any further.

#330 7 years ago

It was not relatively easy, and Windows 7 did not automatically download the drivers for me. I also had difficulty downloading the GI-OCD program, but finally got my borrowed PC to agree to do so. Anyway, if I had to do it again it would be a lot easier. I still don't like PC's...

3 months later
#331 7 years ago

Reviving this thread from the dead to ask again if anybody has found a way to restore chasing lamps on CFTBL since we last discussed it...

#332 7 years ago

A couple of people have built splitters for the power GI power input (6.3VAC). That way they can run power to both the GI OCD and the game's power driver board. They then connect the lamps that work well to the GI OCD and the incompatible mod or lamps to the power driver board outputs. It's a bit convoluted, and the lamps connected to the power driver board will get no OCD benefits, but it does work.

1 month later
#333 7 years ago

Such as this thread where I was trying to run a KBOP mod off an GI OCD.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-mixing-gi-ocd-and-kbop-mods-issue

3 months later
#334 7 years ago

Does anyone know of any mods that don't play well with the GI OCD or LED OCD boards?

I own a Judge Dredd so far I've used the GI OCD board with no problems but I am concerned that when I install the LED OCD board that it might interfere with my sparky micro display mod?

Any thoughts or first-hand experiences?

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Does anyone know of any mods that don't play well with the GI OCD or LED OCD boards?
I own a Judge Dredd so far I've used the GI OCD board with no problems but I am concerned that when I install the LED OCD board that it might interfere with my sparky micro display mod?
Any thoughts or first-hand experiences?

The ones that might have issues are those that connect to the GI or controlled lighting. A couple of examples are Bill Ung's AFM Expansion where it ties into the pop bumper lamps or a ColorDMD in TAF when you're using the THING lamp emulation.

I do not have experience with the Sparky MDM, but I would suspect that it simply needs a connection to power in your game. I would not expect any compatibility issues with either OCD kit.

7 months later
#336 6 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

I wonder if GI OCD would make a difference on my Roadshow? Do not know if any dimming is used on that machine?

did you ever answer this question?

#337 6 years ago

I flipped through this video, and I didn't see any. None at the start of multiball, and that's one time that almost always does dimming if anything in the game does.

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I flipped through this video, and I didn't see any. None at the start of multiball, and that's one time that almost always does dimming if anything in the game does.
» YouTube video

Thanks. I had done the same (OCD?).

They're using LEDs in the inserts, so i wouldn't be surprised if the GI was LED too. As such they may have disabled GI effects.

I'll see if i can find any incandescent Roadshow videos.

#339 6 years ago

Not much, but a bit:

#340 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Not much, but a bit:
» YouTube video

Good find. Agreed, not much, and I'm not sure that even I would find it worth the effort just to save that one little effect. Maybe if you want the backbox dimming, or if you want to convert to DC, it would add up to something that's worth it, but it wouldn't be my first choice of games to put one in.

#341 6 years ago

Absolutely LOVE this product in my TZ. Makes the game look absolutely beautiful

Does anyone know if there is GI dimming used in either Doctor Who or Monster Bash (or TZ for that matter)? I would like to add one of the GIOCD boards but have to keep the budget in check. LEDOCD is already going in...

also, herg: I'm sure you've considered doing a single version which incorporates both LEDOCD and GIOCD; is this feasible?

#342 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

(or TZ for that matter)?

TZ uses a LOT of GI dimming in the gameplay.

#343 6 years ago

As Coyote says, yes, in TZ. The others I'm not sure.

Yes, I've considered the combined board. As an add-on board, it wouldn't reduce complexity, there aren't any connections that could be shared, and it would be too big to fit anywhere easily. As a result, it wouldn't be any cheaper than the two separate boards, and it would reduce options available to people. For example, if you wanted to only install a LED OCD, but not a GI OCD. Granted, it could be an additional product, but wouldn't be much benefit.

It COULD be integrated with a power driver board, but I don't have interest in designing a power driver board. Plus, GI OCD has a few compatibility issues in particular games that would cause headaches for anyone wanting to do an integrated power driver. They'd have a board that wouldn't work well for all WPC89 games.

#344 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

As coyote says, yes, in TZ. The others I'm not sure.
Yes, I've considered the combined board. As an add-on board, it wouldn't reduce complexity, there aren't any connections that could be shared, and it would be too big to fit anywhere easily. As a result, it wouldn't be any cheaper than the two separate boards, and it would reduce options available to people. For example, if you wanted to only install a LED OCD, but not a GI OCD. Granted, it could be an additional product, but wouldn't be much benefit.
It COULD be integrated with a power driver board, but I don't have interest in designing a power driver board. Plus, GI OCD has a few compatibility issues in particular games that would cause headaches for anyone wanting to do an integrated power driver. They'd have a board that wouldn't work well for all WPC89 games.

Very interesting... that's exactly the sort of detail I was wondering about. Guess I'll have to order at least 2 of these.. damn you, Herg!!

3 weeks later
#345 6 years ago

I just installed the GI OCD in my STTNG. I installed LEDs almost immediately after I acquired the pin, so I didn't really recall if the GI had any dimming effects, but from what I can tell only the Shield inserts make use of dimming. Granted, this is really cool when you're in Borg multi-ball and the shields take hits, but I'm not sure it's worth $160 for that one effect. I'll most likely switch the GI OCD over to my DM. And regardless, the build quality of the product is fantastic and well worth the price.

#346 6 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I just installed the GI OCD in my STTNG. I installed LEDs almost immediately after I acquired the pin, so I didn't really recall if the GI had any dimming effects, but from what I can tell only the Shield inserts make use of dimming. Granted, this is really cool when you're in Borg multi-ball and the shields take hits, but I'm not sure it's worth $160 for that one effect. I'll most likely switch the GI OCD over to my DM. And regardless, the build quality of the product is fantastic and well worth the price.

That's one thing that's cool about these 2 boards - you can put them in nearly any game you want! I've had trouble spotting the GI on some of the games I've tried it in. It landed in my TZ where I expect it will sit permanently.

I may try it in my Monster Bash, too - I fully expect to put an LEDOCD in there eventually.

#347 6 years ago

My recommendation is to LED a game, turn on the dimming, then play it for a while. If there isn't bothersome flickering, don't bother with a GI OCD. If there's sufficient dimming to warrant a GI OCD and you don't have one installed, you'll know it.

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

from what I can tell only the Shield inserts make use of dimming.

On STTNG the backbox also dims during some modes (video modes, maybe others). Pretty flickery even with incandescent.

#349 6 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'll most likely switch the GI OCD over to my DM. And regardless, the build quality of the product is fantastic and well worth the price.

Good choice. It's awesome in DM.

2 years later
#350 4 years ago

Finally installed my GI OCD board in my Johnny Mnemonic. Highly recommended with JM as there is a lot of General Illumination dimming during game play. Now to install the other one I have in Dredd - Blackout Mode will be so much better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 249.00
£ 39.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
£ 38.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 364 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-ocd-active-smoothing-for-gi-work-in-progress/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.