• Latest reply 3 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hey everyone I have a bally fireball classic which is a great machine and love to play it. When I play the GI lights dim when the flippers are used. I see this a lot with other machines out there but was wondering if this is something that can be corrected? Maybe I'm just anal retentive but I would love to fix this. thanks in advance for any help.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#2 9 years ago
Quoted from leckylove:

I'm just anal retentive but I would love to fix this.

Agreed. You should. Perhaps counseling?

#3 9 years ago

A quick flicker is normal, a noticeable dimming is not. Check the EOS switches and make sure they open when the flippers pull in.

#4 9 years ago

Also look at the connectors on the power supply. J1 pin 1&8, J2 pin 1&5, J3 pin 11&1. J1 playfield GI, J2 cabinet GI, J3 backbox GI. Pin 11 on J3 loves to slowly burn. The vibration of the flippers makes it worse. Have a look...

#5 9 years ago

Put in incandescents, it will go away

#6 9 years ago

Thanks guys it's more of a quick flicker so I'm being a little anal but I will check connectors as well. Maybe I will get counseling too markmon hardy har har

#7 9 years ago

I truly beleive it's the LED's

My machines have aftermarket LED's & I can tell when a coil fires. TSPP has 5 flippers & LED dimming during flipper usage is very obvious on that game.

There is some $150-$200 LED OCD board you may want to try

LED's cannot handle power inconsistencies as well as or at all like incandescents. This is why folks mention ghosting & flickering.

#8 9 years ago

Now that I think about it when I had the incandescents in it dimmed as well. It has been a while since I had them in there but the back box gi lights dimmed as well. My playfield lights are still incandescents and they dim as well. I have a gorgar that does it on the gi as well but in that machine the controlled lights on the playfield are fine. I wasn't sure if that's just the way it is with early ss machines. I have seen so many do that at pin museums and arcades.

#9 9 years ago

possible "hack"? add a capacitor(s) to the GI line(s) as a little more buffer to keep voltage stable?
same strategy done to cars packing extreme stereo's so the headlights dont blink with bass pulse.

if that doesnt do it well enough (for truly retentive!) then hack in a separate-independent power supply (6v wall wart?) to run them and DARE them to even-ever think about flickering again!

5 years later
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

possible "hack"? add a capacitor(s) to the GI line(s) as a little more buffer to keep voltage stable?
same strategy done to cars packing extreme stereo's so the headlights dont blink with bass pulse.
if that doesnt do it well enough (for truly retentive!) then hack in a separate-independent power supply (6v wall wart?) to run them and DARE them to even-ever think about flickering again!

This seems like a good idea. Where do you add the capacitor in the schematic, and do you have a recommended capacitor?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

This seems like a good idea.

If the G.I. was DC, then maybe..
But the G.I. in this game operates on AC so installing a capacitor on the G.I. line is essentially putting a short circuit across the GI supply.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-lights-dim-when-flippers-are-used?hl=bluebomber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.