Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What kind of GI lighting do you prefer?”

• 555's 38 votes
      31%
    • LEDs 63 votes
      52%
    • 555's on older games, LEDs on DMDs 13 votes
      11%
    • I'll write my own answer below 7 votes
      6%

(121 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1313.jpg
    CTP2.jpeg
    2012-06-02_19-23-16_961.jpg
    dm.jpg
    LED_d_Demo_Man_033.jpg
    IMG_1211.JPG
    13249502736511130682220.jpg
    13266844998171479679383.jpg
    1311334166925-883612081.jpg
    viking_016.JPG
    viking_015.JPG
    viking_002.JPG
    WH20-.jpg
    011.JPG
    Gameroom_002.JPG
    100_0044.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DrAzzy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#107 11 years ago

"Warm White" LEDs are neither. It's very hard to get a convincing warm white out of an LED, by the nature of LEDs - LEDs start with single wavelengths of light, and you're somehow trying to make it look like it's a continuous distribution of wavelengths. So they use multiple LED elements, phosphors, and the like, and they end up with something that looks kinda-white (by virtue of the fact that humans sense color with 3 types of cone cells, and you can make white by mixing three other colors in the right ratios), at least until you pass it through something that blocks some colors of light more than others - it most cases, this will produce a different color than you would otherwise expect (hard to explain without drawing it out). That's why "warm white" LEDs look green under plastics. The whites actually look okay in the spotlights pointing down at the PF, except for the strobing, which pretty well kills that use of them.

I like LEDs for insert lighting on some machines (they look great in my No Fear, but terrible in TZ imo. Actually, from pictures, i'd even go so far as to say they look good in Ritchies and bad in Lawlors. NGG and TZ and FH look like crap with LEDs, but NF and Tomcat look great, and ACDC looks good too with LEDs in inserts (though not in the GI, ugh!)).

It looks way too harsh with LEDs for general illumination. Even when it's like that from the factory (ex, ACDC LE).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DrAzzy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-leds-are-ruining-pinball-art?tu=DrAzzy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.