Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What kind of GI lighting do you prefer?”

• 555's 38 votes
      31%
    • LEDs 63 votes
      52%
    • 555's on older games, LEDs on DMDs 13 votes
      11%
    • I'll write my own answer below 7 votes
      6%

(121 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1313.jpg
    CTP2.jpeg
    2012-06-02_19-23-16_961.jpg
    dm.jpg
    LED_d_Demo_Man_033.jpg
    IMG_1211.JPG
    13249502736511130682220.jpg
    13266844998171479679383.jpg
    1311334166925-883612081.jpg
    viking_016.JPG
    viking_015.JPG
    viking_002.JPG
    WH20-.jpg
    011.JPG
    Gameroom_002.JPG
    100_0044.JPG
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Yes, I goofed up on the poll; it should have said "44/47/555".
    FlipperMagician: I think that DM just needs some spotlights (reflectors). I wonder if you could mount them on the slings?

I put 5 spotlights into my demo man after LEDs. The whole playfield has an even glow. There is no ball strobing, and the playfield is very bright in a dark room - much more so than it was when it was stock. Problem with LEDs in GI is that people don't use the right ones or spotlights.

As for ruining the art and using regular bulbs, I call BS. I think warm light is ugly. It's your game, put in it what you like not what some guy on a forum says.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Yes, I goofed up on the poll; it should have said "44/47/555".
    FlipperMagician: I think that DM just needs some spotlights (reflectors). I wonder if you could mount them on the slings?

I think the correct term should have been "Incandescencts" for light bulbs as opposed to LED's

#53 11 years ago

OP is right. Artists used to slave for hours painstakingly designing beautiful artwork for our games. Every colour was carefully chosen to compliment the artwork, and to look nice with gentle illumination.

Now along comes a doofus and bathes that art in a strong blue haze, or my pet hate a massive splat of green. Now the art is 30 shades of green. Even the black is green. It's just pointless - if it actually looked good that way, manufacturers would have used more coloured bulb caps (like they did tastefully on a few games, like Space Station and Black Rose).

I do think they do a good job on some translites though which transmit too much of the 'warmth' of normal bulbs - the neutrality of the LEDs helps some of them shine. Doesn't always work, sometimes it looks too uneven.

The upside is at least the change can be reversed. I try to avoid the threads mostly because my opinion isn't wanted in them, but I see so many threads on Pinside where someone has puked LEDs all over the playfield, and it's just a travesty, except for a few exceptions they look fucking awful, cheap and ugly. May aswell just sand that art off if you just want to see coloured hazes.

I'm joking, don't actually do that.

#54 11 years ago

I like them... Use frosted or retro for playfield illumination and match the insert colors to keep the game looking as correct as possible. When I became accustomed to seeing something evenly light by brighter lamps, the old amber glow of incandescent lamps feels kind of dreary and worn out.

It makes the playfield art more visible in my opinion, contrary to what system11 said. If there is a negative, its that the flaws become more apparent when well lit.

I can see both sides of this, but I personally like LED's. Since its a totally reversible mod, arguing about it is stupid.

#55 11 years ago

Has anybody played with diffusion gels to try and soften the harshness of LEDs? It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to manipulate and manage their light output.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

May aswell just sand that art off if you just want to see coloured hazes.

I'm joking, don't actually do that.

LMAO!

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

OP is right. Artists used to slave for hours painstakingly designing beautiful artwork for our games. Every colour was carefully chosen to compliment the artwork, and to look nice with gentle illumination.
    Now along comes a doofus and bathes that art in a strong blue haze, or my pet hate a massive splat of green.

The upside is at least the change can be reversed..

Amen Brotha!

#58 11 years ago

I totally disagree I think most games look much better with LEDs in the GI. To each their own as always.

#60 11 years ago

I know what system11 is referring to and I agree the worst thing that can be done with LEDs is colorising areas of the playfield Cointakers kits used to be some of the worst offenders, I remember seeing BDK kit and it had the playfield broke into 4 or 5 different coloured sectors and made the playfield look like a kids colouring book. LEDs used to enhance and brighten a pin can look incredible but I'm no fan of separating areas of the playfield with different colours, but the best thing about this hobby is it promotes and brings out everyone's individual tastes and no matter what any of us disagree on we all agree on one thing pinball rocks!

#61 11 years ago

I love the way LEDs look when they are done with some artistic thought. Use warm whites for GI, for example. Don't just stick in the brightest LED of the color you want. On my DE SW I started with a Cointaker kit and made my own customizations from there. I ended up with a look I am very pleased with.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

I love the way LEDs look when they are done with some artistic thought. Use warm whites for GI, for example. Don't just stick in the brightest LED of the color you want.

I'm kinda nitpicking here, and I understand and agree with what your point is, but you kind of contradict yourself when you say to use some artistic thought, then proceed to make a generalization of using warm white in the GI.

Some pins will look better with the normal/cool white LEDs in the GI than warm white. It just depends.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Since its a totally reversible mod, arguing about it is stupid.

No, it's not stupid. I now have a bunch of LEDS that I probably paid $200 for, have no desire to keep, and spent about 6 hours removing. The next game I buy will not have LEDs.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

No, it's not stupid. I now have a bunch of LEDS that I probably paid $200 for, have no desire to keep, and spent about 6 hours removing. The next game I buy will not have LEDs.

I can give you my address to help alleviate you of those burdensome LEDs. I need some of my XF Pin that is coming on Monday ...

#65 11 years ago

led viking

viking_002.JPGviking_002.JPG viking_015.JPGviking_015.JPG viking_016.JPGviking_016.JPG

#66 11 years ago

You just showed everything that's wrong about LED lighting. You have spots of light but the main playfield is a black hole. If you're going to light it like that you might as well pull the GI fuse and save a few bucks on the GI LEDs.

#67 11 years ago

I love LEDs, but I agree with KindOfRadNow. Either the camera shot is taken badly, or the lighting on that machine needs a little time investment. The backbox isnt evenly lit either, and that has always bothered me about LEDs in backboxes.

I just put together the LEDs for my F-14, but I used almost 100 different sample LEDs to determine which looks best in which spot, instead of just straight up ordering a kit. I think it is going to come out fantastic. I was specifically trying to spill more light onto the playfield, especially at the top.

With the LED options out today, there is no good reason to just settle on a kit, or sacrificing light coverage in order to just get some nicer colors.

#68 11 years ago

I love LED's but this little video shows that Williams took time to time to sync the 2 lights so the afterglow on old style bulbs would look good. LED's are not the thing here

#69 11 years ago

LED do not photograph well with cheap cameras in low lighting. They only way to really judge a pin with LEDs is to see it in person. I love the way my Barracora backglass LEDs turned out, but if I take a picture of it with my cell camera it looks really spotty. I use the 3led ablaze in just about everything except backglasses and I love the way they look. They're not to bright and they make inserts pop without looking like there's a floodlight behind them. I also like the fact that its easier on components and I'll never have to replace a bulb again.

#70 11 years ago

Get carried away, and Arnold will come after you.

#71 11 years ago

Well leds are great they have so many advantages over incandecents I agree I dont like the other colored GI lighting myself in GI I always use either cool or warm white cool for more modern themed games like space station/Xenon but warm in other older style games
    But leds take alot of adjusting you cant use 1 type or brightness you need to take into consideration insert size visability clear vs opaque inserts sometimes you need to use standard frosted and superbright to get the leds lighted evenly.
    What people need to know and understand it is better for the machine in many ways top convert to leds.
    1. Heat under all them inserts and plastics is what has warped the plastics and broken all your inserts loose causing extra PF wear esp around inserts leds will prevent this if anyone has had a fresh clear on their PF and look at the incandecents inserts they will raise with the head well if you keep moving them they will eventualy break loose or wear more becouse of this
    2. Extra strain on the system remember alot of these machine have use about and have been in service for extended periods o time past their intended life span why run all the amperage through aged and harder to come by components?? when its possible to drop 75% of the draw off the system
    3. If you like the more original look use all warm leds there are tricks to stop the flickering and ghosting as well like on older bally stern machines its a simple matter of adding 1.5k resistors to the affected led sockets
    4 If a person can enhance insert colors why not do it? and leds wont burn out regularly like incandecents eliminating alot of stripped screw holes broken sockets from added maintnance assembly and disassembly.
    5. also think of all them burned flaky backglasses this was all done by the hot incandecents cooking the paint on the glass alonge with the added infared rays generated by them.
    In my opinion LEDS are helping save and preserve pinball from further damage for years to come

#72 11 years ago

I've converted all of my home's recessed lighting to LED. The difference is that the color temperature and CRI of these fixtures almost perfectly match the bulbs they replace. My wife can't tell the difference. They're expensive, about $45 each in bulk, but they'll pay for themselves in about 5 years.

When pinball LED manufacturers start using high-quality Cree LEDs, I'll be an "LED for GI" convert. However right now I don't think they can make quality LEDs for the price us pinheads are willing to pay.

#73 11 years ago

Well that realy is the problem ATM see leds are not true colored atm.
    cool white is actualy super bright blue with minor yellow tinting for the most part
    Warm white is cool white with darker yellow tinting
    Yellow is Cool white with orange film this explains why it always makes yellow inserts greenish becouse of the amber filtering effects
    Pink is also just a tinted cool white
    Same with most purple leds Except the UV purple.
    Its a matter of the quality leds becoming more affordable but currently I just retint the smd leds with yellow or orange to warm them up more they can be made to appear more natural.
    Like i said LED conversion isnt a matter of just throwing them in but takes some experimenting and an assortment to look good and in backboxes leds are great but smd supers are the best way to go or led strips but you will need to add extra becouse o the shorter range of dispersion

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'm kinda nitpicking here, and I understand and agree with what your point is, but you kind of contradict yourself when you say to use some artistic thought, then proceed to make a generalization of using warm white in the GI.
    Some pins will look better with the normal/cool white LEDs in the GI than warm white. It just depends.

Rob, I agree with what you are saying. That is why I added "for example" as it represents only one of many choices. In this case a choice that worked well with the playfield of SW. It was not meant to apply to any other installation. Sorry that I was unclear.

#75 11 years ago

If you like the look of standard bulbs just buy all warm white LEDs. Saves on power, heat, inserts from sinking, etc.
    Its all about choice.

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I'm sure you break down the PF to clean everything anyway?? Take the LED's out and sell them...or donate them to the "JDub1006 LED's for free to help make pinball machines look AWESOME fund"

#77 11 years ago

The backbox isnt evenly lit either, and that has always bothered me about LEDs in backboxes.

Try these at cointaker.

1311334166925-883612081.jpg1311334166925-883612081.jpg 13266844998171479679383.jpg13266844998171479679383.jpg 13249502736511130682220.jpg13249502736511130682220.jpg

#78 11 years ago

It is and always will be personal preference. One guy will like bulbs, t'other will like leds. No big deal.

Mixing leds and bulbs is an art form in itself and looks far better than just bulbs or leds alone.

Ruining art you say? No, no. Improving its glory for our personal pleasure? Yes, yes.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from Russo121:

Mixing leds and bulbs is an art form in itself and looks far better than just bulbs or leds alone.

AC/DC looks incredible.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

Try these at cointaker.

Yep, did this to my Scared Stiff BG and the warming effect is Awesome. Whenever white LED's don't work, I go with the retro LED's. The retro is the best of both worlds.

#81 11 years ago

I apologize for the thread title, I tried to change after I posted but I couldn't. As a rule of thumb, I think survey posts shouldn't include the author's opinion as the subject line, and I broke that rule.

I will give the retros a try; the LEDs I pulled will be going into the Market section as soon as I find some time.

#82 11 years ago

I love them and use them everywhere. I think everything looks better with them. To each their own, another custom option that allows everyone to leave their own stamp on their machines.

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from KindOfRadNow:

You just showed everything that's wrong about LED lighting. You have spots of light but the main playfield is a black hole. If you're going to light it like that you might as well pull the GI fuse and save a few bucks on the GI LEDs.

It'snot the worst example i've seen, but yeah +1.

#84 11 years ago

Which are the best bulbs to provide the best spread ? CT or PBL ? or someone else ? I am looking at maybe going Cool White for the 34x (44) bulbs on TRON.

#85 11 years ago

I'm all about LED's. But there is a fine line between looking awesome and looking like ass. I've played some pins that were blinding, and some that look absurd with a ton of colors, but if the right person does it, it can be incredible.

#86 11 years ago

Playfield art? What playfield art?

Way to take a totally improperly done LED job and show it as how it is. Here is how a properly LED demolition man should look. And note that its very hard to capture this in images but even this looks 100 times better than the previous image you circled in green. You will notice how it looks extremely bright all over, the playfield sort of glows, and there is no dark spots. This was taken in a completely unlit room with only the pinball lights running. Photo taken on my iPhone so it's also not that great quality. Unfortunately, the photo makes everything look darker and purpler than it really is. But at least you can see its even and there's no hot spot of darkness in the middle. I guarantee it is not this bright if you use incandescent lights in the dark room.
    IMG_1211.JPGIMG_1211.JPG
    compared to the original bad example:
    LED_d_Demo_Man_033.jpgLED_d_Demo_Man_033.jpg

#87 11 years ago

I switched back to mostly bulbs on DM. I have some nice teal colored LED in the GI, some blue supers under the ramps... some of the inserts have LED. All the lower GI is bulbs. The gold glow from the bulbs mixed into the teal from the upper playfield is amazing. This picture does it no justice.

dm.jpgdm.jpg

#88 11 years ago

I think some games look great, my Jp looks waaay better with LEDS, however a game like funhouse I would never do it I am thinking of doing the warm white LED thing since I like the extra light they throw.

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I switched back to mostly bulbs on DM. I have some nice teal colored LED in the GI, some blue supers under the ramps... some of the inserts have LED. All the lower GI is bulbs. The gold glow from the bulbs mixed into the teal from the upper playfield is amazing. This picture does it no justice.

My led example above has even more evenly distributed light in the middle lower playfield than this shot with incandescent GI bulbs.

#90 11 years ago

LEDs aren't the problem. Colorblind Ops are the problem. I mean, I like custom paint jobs on cars. Doesn't mean I like that Pink Camaro with the teal racing stripes.

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

My led example above has even more evenly distributed light in the middle lower playfield than this shot with incandescent GI bulbs.

...but it looks horrible while Rascal's looks good.

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

...but it looks horrible while Rascal's looks good.

Totally disagree.

#93 11 years ago

I agree with markmon. His LED setup looks far superior to my eye. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

#94 11 years ago

Well, if anything- the REAL moral of this story/thread should be to buy a GOOD camera!

I have a Canon Powershot S95 that I use to take my pics for LED's.
    The new Olympus XZ-1 goes down to f/1.8...

Both should yield good pics in low light situations.

#95 11 years ago

It's really not that hard...

LEDs look good in areas that are blue, purple or blue-green
    LEDs look bad in areas that are red, orange or yellow

When I look at the DM pics above, I prefer Markmon's lighting of the upper left (LEDs), and I prefer Rascal's lighting of the sling area (bulbs). But I suspect that mixing LED and incandescent GI is hard to do in practice, because the lighting becomes uneven.

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

and I prefer Rascal's lighting of the sling area (bulbs).

I can get the same effect with LED's swampfire...

Hearing things like this just tells me that the OP (and the rest of the haters ) was running into machines that had older LED technology in them. The new bulbs from CT (which I prefer) and PL are a different animal. They can throw out as little or as much light as you want; keeping the spread even the whole time and thus- NOT washing out the art on the plastics.
    The new CT 2 LED premiums are perfect for slings if the retros seem too bright or narrow (mini's work too!) and the warm versions of both replicate the incandescent spectrum to a "T".

Not to be an echo here but, experimentation is key to a successful LED job.

#97 11 years ago

This is my demo man after complete shop out, wax and LEDs. People who have seen it say it look 100x better than what it was when I got it. They love the LEDs. They like how it really brightens everything.

2012-06-02_19-23-16_961.jpg2012-06-02_19-23-16_961.jpg

#98 11 years ago

I love putting LED's behind a clear ramp and underneath plastics, I think it gives a cool glow. I can’t stand it when the LED is not covered by something, it is blinding and ruins the game for me.

Right now I have blue LED's behind the Whirlpool shot on my Black Rose and it looks pretty cool also underneath the cannon so it glows red.

In my Addams family I have a green LED in the swamp shot and it looks pretty sweet.

I think LED's can really enhance and game when strategically placed

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I can get the same effect with LED's swampfire...

How? I'm not a hater and I've got a pretty large collection of LED... but I've never been able to replicate the glow of bulbs. Warm white frosted don't have the same effect for me. I like to mix it up.

I just did all of my STTNG in LED. I think the machine needs them. The white frosted I had in the modes were too bright so I put bulbs back in. I might order up some cool white minis.

Quoted from NimblePin:

Well, if anything- the REAL moral of this story/thread should be to buy a GOOD camera!
    I have a Canon Powershot S95 that I use to take my pics for LED's.
    The new Olympus XZ-1 goes down to f/1.8...
    Both should yield good pics in low light situations.

Yeah, Iphone pics kinda stink. I have better cameras laying around but too lazy to use something that I have to deal with a memory card, hah.

#100 11 years ago

I think that Demolition Man looks great other than the sling shots. It is way to bright down by the flippers where you have to concentrate.

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-leds-are-ruining-pinball-art/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.