• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ShadowPF1.JPG
ShadowPF2.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I have Demolition Man and have been thinking about LEDing it.

I like the look of cool whites but I wouldn't like to LED the inserts...So what about putting LEDs just to GI and flashers? That way I would create the cool industrial look and still retain the not-so-blinding inserts which are perfectly readable as is Also no ghosting issues when keeping the incadescents under the inserts.

So has anyone done this and if so, with which game? I've been trying to search vids and pics but there doesn't seem to be many/any to be found.

Opinions, suggestions?

#2 10 years ago

I prefer cointaker's Cool white 2LED Frosted (or their equivalent) for GI. I have LEDs in GI only on my LOTR and it looks good. I used Warm white there.
LED Flashers can be too bright in some locations. Like anything, user preference here.

#3 10 years ago

Cointaker leds are not available through any big European distributor so I will have to go for another brand. A quick tour through my favourite suppliers showed no 2leds and I suppose 1leds will be as dim as the incadescents and 4leds just too damn bright

What about blue GI leds? Too weak to produce enough light to play? The sure look cool and would suit the blue shades in the DM playfield. The flashers in my DM are pretty weak so getting them leded would be a good solution I think.

Anyone have any pics of their own games with incadescents in inserts and leds in GI? Feel free to post in this thread.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from RoadRunner:

I have Demolition Man and have been thinking about LEDing it.
I like the look of cool whites but I wouldn't like to LED the inserts...So what about putting LEDs just to GI and flashers? That way I would create the cool industrial look and still retain the not-so-blinding inserts which are perfectly readable as is Also no ghosting issues when keeping the incadescents under the inserts.
So has anyone done this and if so, with which game? I've been trying to search vids and pics but there doesn't seem to be many/any to be found.
Opinions, suggestions?

I've not replaced all the inserts with LED's on occasion when the reds look bright enough, etc. Your idea will work out fine. Changing all the GI's will probably be dramatic enough. I don't have DM but I think it does some GI dimming during gameplay and THIS will possibly be bothersome as the LED GI's don't smoothly dim.

One solution is to get a GI OCD board from Herg over here as it makes the LED's pulse silky smooth. Best thing I ever got for a LED'ed game

#5 10 years ago

DM does have dimming when hitting multiball, but that can be switched off in the adjust menu, so no issues there. I suppose I will just have to order some different types of leds and start experimenting

The flipper area is kinda dark and dull in DM as in many other games so I will have to put brighter ones up front and hope not to blind myself with them...Otherways the game is pretty well lit and I'm just after that industrial/newer look with the GI leds. If any other European members are lurking into this thread, lemme know who sells the best bang for a buck leds on this side of the pond, cause I dont want to overspend on lighting. The cheapo I am

Thanks so far to everyone for fast and helpful replies!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from RoadRunner:

Cointaker leds are not available through any big European distributor so I will have to go for another brand. A quick tour through my favourite suppliers showed no 2leds and I suppose 1leds will be as dim as the incadescents and 4leds just too damn bright
What about blue GI leds? Too weak to produce enough light to play? The sure look cool and would suit the blue shades in the DM playfield. The flashers in my DM are pretty weak so getting them leded would be a good solution I think.
Anyone have any pics of their own games with incadescents in inserts and leds in GI? Feel free to post in this thread.

Blue LED's look great in a game and light up under blue plastics, etc real nice. Look good under certain slings too and put off a good amount of light. Under some plastics you don't want white as it washes out the color. Also exposed GI bulbs look good in different colors. I use PinballBulbs.com stuff as you can pop off the frosted top if you need a "super-bright" in certain parts of the game. Makes ordering easy and the frosted bulbs are bright and perfect for GI use.

This Shadow still has incandescents under the red inserts (mainly due to laziness) and it has blue and purple LED's under the slings and purple LED GI's under the ball returns etc... they often look better than white in GI as they are less harsh and put out a lot of white light along with the purple. At least the PinballBulbs one's do...

ShadowPF2.JPGShadowPF2.JPGShadowPF1.JPGShadowPF1.JPG

#7 10 years ago

That is seriously nice, Manic! I think I will go for a mix of whites and blues on my DM I have also been thinking about adding those "tweeter cones" (or however they're called in english) to add a couple of spotlights for the centerfield. DM has some pinkish shades on the PF (how gay is that for a Sly-themed game...) so purples would mix in nicely as well.

Its funny how I have never been any kind of a fan for leds but after seeing my friends METLE it kinda stuck with me. It just looked soooo much better and brighter than anything around it

Ready made sets almost always make the games pink, purple and green even if the original colour scheme is something completely different and I cannot stress enough how stupid that makes the game look...Therefore I will have to try and fit the colors by trial and error.

#8 10 years ago

After you donthe GI and brighten up the topside of the game, the normal bulbs in the inserts might seem too dim. It all trial and error and finding what works best for you. Best of all its fun too! I hate to admit to myself how much $$$ ive sent to cointaker though. Hehe. Good luck. And make sure to take some before and after pics.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 37.50
$ 85.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-leds-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.