• Latest reply 4 years ago by Chosen_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 1.21.21 AM (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I just got an Earthshaker and only the GI lights work. Non of the switched lamps work. I run the lamp test with "no" lights coming on. Any ideas where to look.

#2 6 years ago

Start with fuses.

#3 6 years ago

Fuses , check for burnt connectors , make all connectors are on and in correctly , then check continuity

#4 6 years ago

Well it's either fuses or all the connectors are off the board.

#5 6 years ago

I have removed, checked and replaced every fuse and connector. This game worked perfect prior to getting it home. I'm perplexed.

RK

#6 6 years ago

Well assuming that all the connectors are fine, and there are no cracked solder joints anywhere, and that all your fuses are indeed good, and none of the fuse holders have failed, or that you don't have a cold solder joint someplace breaking the connection (my earthshaker had a gazillion of these for some reason. Tugging on the wires usually reveals poor solder joints).

I'd start to suspect it's the 18 volt supply. Looking at the schematics, feature lamps are powered by "6BR1" bridge rectifier, a 30,000 microfarad capacitor, and an 8 amp fuse. The power connection goes through pins 9 and 10 on connector 7J2 (Blue/white wire). After that, it's fed through connectors 1J4 and 1J5.

Here's a snippet of the schematics with extraneous information edited out for clarity. You can see the entire thing in the manual on page 104.

Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 1.21.21 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-14 at 1.21.21 AM (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

Now I have a place to start. I did wiggle each wire already thinking same about a cold/ cracked solder joint but to be on the safe side, I'm going to reflow all connection points. 7 hrs of vibration in a uhaul may definitely have caused a crack.

Cheers.

#8 6 years ago

Fixed.... Thanks for your help. Amazing what vibration can do.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Anothertoy:

Fixed.... Thanks for your help. Amazing what vibration can do.

Cracked solder joints??

#10 6 years ago

The 1J4 connector came off and worked its way behind the mpu. Thanks for your post. It took me directly to the problem.

1 year later
#11 4 years ago

Had the same issue, the crimped connector on the rectifier was loose. Wiggles the wire and all is well.

Found this thread with a search.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-lamps-only-on-earthshaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.