(Topic ID: 18138)

Need help with no GI or backbox lights (solved)

By Jodester

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN4564.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Well, I have worked on my non-working machine for the last two days and I think I have one problem to solve before all is right with the world. My GI lighting and some of the backbox lighting are not working.
I checked all the bulbs but there seems to be no power going to the yellow/yellow & white wires going to the backbox. I looked at the connectors on the board and the molex connector and pins look good. Any other ideas for a novice such as myself?

#2 11 years ago

If I have no power going to the GI lights could it be a power supply issue? Are there any GI fuses hidden somewhere that I am unaware of? It doesn't look like the yellow/yellow & white wires that handle power go to the board. It looks like they head straight to the backbox and the playfield.

#3 11 years ago

It would help to know what Pin we are talking about.

#4 11 years ago

I'll guess it's a Data East game.

Check the GI connector on the transformer. If it looks like the pic, replace it.

viperrwk

DSCN4564.JPGDSCN4564.JPG

#5 11 years ago

Trace the wires back to the boards and check the connector like viperrek suggested. Might just need to be reseated (unplugged and plugged back in). Take a flashlight and go over everything in that backbox visually with a fine tooth comb, never know where you are going to have one broken wire. I had one wire come unsoldered on my Mata Hari at the power transformer and it caused every single GI light under the playfield to go out.

#6 11 years ago

I've had that with a Flight 2000, was the pins on the power board. They get hot every time it's played and eventually fail. Reflow all the pins and see what happens.

#7 11 years ago

Sorry guys, it's a Williams Flash machine that I bought last week.

Is the GI plug on the transformer outside of the black "caution high voltage" box or inside it somewhere.

#8 11 years ago

I just metered the yellow wire for GI lights and it seems to be reading 0.01 v AC. Is the transformer bad?

#10 11 years ago

Checked fuses that I can find and they all tested good. I cannot find any inline fuse for the AC heading from the power supply for GI. Is there a hidden fuse under the playfield that I possibly missed?

It looks like the yellow wire that comes off the transformer heads straight to another group of wires that have been soldered together and those run to the lights. I tested power from that wire junction to the ground and get the 0.01 v AC. I will hunt some more for a missed fuse...

#11 11 years ago

I just realized after reading more threads that I was not reading the AC properly. Where would I need to catch the common for the AC to properly meter it? (I was checking it at the DC grounding point)

I appreciate all the ideas from you guys. I just wish I wasn't such a novice at this. I guess we learn by doing...

Going to pull out an old motherboard and practice my soldering...

#12 11 years ago

To all of you that responded by saying "check the fuses", you win!. I visually inspected all the fuses and checked out all but one on the meter. It was the final fuse that was bad but showed no signs of being blown. Now that I fixed that, it looks like somebody removed a bad bumper switch and never replaced it. Guess I need to order that and possibly some blue leds to brighten up the GI lights.

Again thanks...from a noob...

#13 11 years ago

Congrats on your repair!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

It was the final fuse that was bad but showed no signs of being blown.

That's why you need to use a meter or continuity checker to test fuses. Many will "look" OK but are actually open circuit. Congrats on getting the GI fixed. Good luck on the switch.

#15 11 years ago

Anybody here have any idea where I can find the the part number? I presume the proper term would be a "sling bumper leaf switch"? There seems to be no mention of an actual part number in the Flash manual.

I called some online suppliers like Marco, Pinball Life, Action, and Lakeside but I they all seem to be out of stock.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Anybody here have any idea where I can find the the part number? I presume the proper term would be a "sling bumper leaf switch"? There seems to be no mention of an actual part number in the Flash manual.

I called some online suppliers like Marco, Pinball Life, Action, and Lakeside but I they all seem to be out of stock.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1033&parent=102

In stock apparently.
LTG

#18 11 years ago

well done sir, that first repair feels so good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-issues-with-williams-flash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.