(Topic ID: 301164)

GI Issues with my Ballys Dr. Dude

By ThePlumber

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I just purchased a Dr. Dude and was very excited at its condition till I took a closer look. I went to upgrade to LEDS and I noticed that the left half of the backbox was not illuminating and the right side of the playfield was not illuminating. This only applicable to the GI, the rest of the flashers, etc work just fine. I traced the GI wires in the back box down to the board and found the plug severally burnt and then i started digging deeper and found some horrible news.... The illumination board has been messed with and hacked. Any ideas on where to start other than just replacing board?

#2 2 years ago

You could just replace the header pins and connector.
Can you post a pic of the damage .
It is not too hard to fix .

#3 2 years ago

I tried but it always indicates the file is too large

#4 2 years ago

Those GI wires will go to the “interconnect board” will need to be repaired. Alternatively, Great Lakes Modular makes new interconnect PCBs for $110 but they are unique for every game and you need to tell them what game it’s going in.

I would at least replace the burn connector because replacing the board will likely not completely resolve your problem.

Repairing the interconnect is not too hard, but you will probably need to repair traces on the COMPONENT side of the board when you replace the header pin connector on the right side. This often requires “stitching” top and bottom traces back together.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Those GI wires will go to the “interconnect board” and will need to be repaired or, Great LakesModular makes new interconnect PCBs but they are unique for every game and you need to tell them what game it’s going in.
I would at least replace the burn connector because replacing the board will likely not completely resolve your problem.
Repairing the interconnect is not too hard, but you will probably need to repair traces on the COMPONENT side of the board when you replace the header pin connector on the right side.

Unless things have changed very recently..GLM has been gone for quite a while.

#6 2 years ago

Well, looks to be so. Oh well, repairing the original is not too bad. Just follow my instructions or, if you want, I can repair it for you.

#7 2 years ago

Repair is almost always cheaper than replacement. It is really only alkaline damage that may cause repair to not be cost effective. Remember that just repairing the board headers does not repair the connectors and/or any hacked up wiring at the machine. That will need to be repaired as well.

K's Arcade sells Gulf Pinball replacement interconnect boards.

I also have these available as bare available immediate or complete but not available immediately. I build them on demand and I am backlogged.

edit: I see that you are in Everett. I can help you if you need it. I am busy though.

#8 2 years ago

There you go, I knew someone made replacements. It’s fairly obvious the OP wanted to make the game as close to original as possible. Repairing hacks and such was understood to me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-issues-with-my-ballys-dr-dude?hl=theplumber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.