Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mschonbrun
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Today's project was to tear down, clean and wax my Junk Yard. But once it was back together and I fired it up, all of the left side GI was out. I traced the problem back to fuse F13, which blows each time I boot the game up. Everything else on the game works fine.

Any ideas about what could be causing this?

#2 2 years ago

Lampsocket thats shorted maybe?

#3 2 years ago

Bad bulb, bad socket, a short to GI wiring, a short to GI socket, bad turkey.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

I've double and triple checked the underside and can't find anything that might be shorting. I'm going to have to tear down the whole left side of the playfield, aren't I?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I'm going to have to tear down the whole left side of the playfield, aren't I?

Unsolder one wire from each socket, using an alligator clip, turn the game on and hook back up one at a time until the fuse blows. Turn game off and fix that one and resolder all the wires.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unsolder one wire from each socket, using an alligator clip, turn the game on and hook back up one at a time until the fuse blows. Turn game off and fix that one and resolder all the wires.

This is great advice. I recommend you also make sure the desoldered end is on the same wire as well.

#7 2 years ago

I

Quoted from LTG:Unsolder one wire from each socket, using an alligator clip, turn the game on and hook back up one at a time until the fuse blows. Turn game off and fix that one and resolder all the wires.

That's a way to do it. I tore down the left side, removed all the bulbs, turned on the machine and started inserting bulbs until the fuse blew. The socket right behind the refrigerator seemed to be the one, so I tried a different bulb, which blew the fuse again. Definitely the socket, not the bulb. It's hidden behind the VUK, so I just left that one bulb out, re-assembled the game and turned it on. And the fuse blew again. I'm giving up for the night.

Also, I'm out of fuses.

#8 2 years ago

My buddy's game is doing same thing .check that there's no redlights out on your boards .

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Lord_of_the_pins:

My buddy's game is doing same thing .check that there's no redlights out on your boards .

Nope - all the lights are on or blinking as they should.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I

That's a way to do it. I tore down the left side, removed all the bulbs, turned on the machine and started inserting bulbs until the fuse blew. The socket right behind the refrigerator seemed to be the one, so I tried a different bulb, which blew the fuse again. Definitely the socket, not the bulb. It's hidden behind the VUK, so I just left that one bulb out, re-assembled the game and turned it on. And the fuse blew again. I'm giving up for the night.
Also, I'm out of fuses.

Happened to me. Replace the socket. A small piece of metal had fallen into the socket and it would only short with a bulb in it.

Marc

#11 2 years ago

Fixed! You're not going to believe this.

Knowing that the problem had something to do with that one socket behind the refrigerator, I had a close look, cleaned it out and tested with my multimeter. It turns out that the barrel of the socket had twisted SLIGHTLY (like 5 degrees) so the negative contact was touching the mounting bracket, causing a short.

New fuse installed, fired it up and it's working perfectly. Thanks for your help, everyone!

#12 2 years ago

That happened to me too

Glad you got a fix!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brighton, CO
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Itasca, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside