• Latest reply 6 years ago by joelbob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

906D8336-42A6-4FF1-B9CE-374DE2E65316 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, So I'm running into issues where my GI flickers every time I use my right flipper on my TSPP. Have any of you had similar problems on your machines since you converted it to LEDs? I have the LEDOCD board in it which has improved all the inserts and such but not the GI.

What is really strange is my overhead room light also flickers so something weird is going on. Any thoughts? Game is plugged directly into the wall socket. I’ve checked all the GI connectors and I’m not seeing anything strange. Is this possibly a transformer issue or a capacitor somewhere?

#2 6 years ago

I’m no expert, but I might try TSPP on a different outlet or circuit. Maybe get an outlet checker to make sure it’s wired correctly, only $5 or so.

The right flipper is firing 3 coils at once vs two on left.

906D8336-42A6-4FF1-B9CE-374DE2E65316 (resized).jpeg906D8336-42A6-4FF1-B9CE-374DE2E65316 (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago

I’ve tested my outlet with one and it is correct. If I run an extension cord to an outlet that is on a different circuit the overhead light doesn’t flicker but the GI still does. I’m amazed that this pin is apparently pulling enough power to be effecting other devices in the same room. There has to be something I can fix/change.

#4 6 years ago

what else are you running on that circuit?

#5 6 years ago

You have a loose connection probably at your weather head, point where your electricity hooks to the house, call your electrical supplier. Do any house lights flicker when you run a bunch of stuff or just the pin? Your having trouble getting enough amps to power everything. Could be connections, size of service wire, how many customers are being feed off a transformer and so on. Or the pin draws to many amps while you have to much on or inside wires are too small. Utilities will send someone for free to look at their stuff. Could have a neighbor using to many amps and your neighborhood needs a larger transformer as well. Many things possible if you can do some checking maybe I can help narrow it down.

#6 6 years ago

I don't think it has anything to do with his house connection or anything related to that. he said when he runs an extension cord to another circuit, the house lights don't flicker. something is up with the circuit he is using, likely underrated for whatever is running on it or the connection in the socket isn't strong.

as to why the game GI flickers, that is another issue and has nothing to do with house power. likely you have a bad connection somewhere or a failing component.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7 6 years ago

Try just having the pin on. If it flickers and it's the only thing on then it's the game. Some how to many amps are needed and not available. I've seen where people's transformers are not big enough, service wire is cracked or connections were not greased and tight. I've seen some weird shit. Definitely trouble shoot the stuff you can and see.

#8 6 years ago

I appreciate the discussion. The pin is in my home office which is running multiple computers, multiple monitors, router, modem and an arcade cabinet. I probably have too much running on this one circuit which would explain why my overhead light flickers. When I had my pin in my garage the garage lights did not flicker but the GI still did and if I run an extension cord into another room on a different circuit, that room's lights don't flicker but the GI still does. I understand that Stern designed this game with standard bulbs in mind but I'm surprised the coils draw so much power that it effects the GI. Any ideas what component might be failing as I haven't heard of any other people with a TSPP and LEDs that is having this problem.

#9 6 years ago

you can try unplugging the GI connectors on the board and plugging them back in, it's possible there is some corrosion on the pins. i don't think this is your issue, but it's a simple thing to try first. How long have you had the game and what is it''s history?

Also, the OCD board you have is only for the inserts so it has nothing to do with the GI. There is a separate board needed for the GI I believe.

#10 6 years ago

I've only owned the game a few months. It was routed before I got it. I have unplugged it and plugged it back in but maybe I'll do it a few more times...

1 week later
#11 6 years ago

bum on this post. Still looking for advice/ help. My outlets test fine. Would this possibly be a transformer or Power IO board issue? No one in the TSPP post seems to be having this problem to the same complexity I am. One person says their GI dims very slightly but it isn't very noticeable at all. Mine is very noticeable.

#12 6 years ago

bump. Sorry guys but I still need help. I contacted Stern tech support and they think it could be my transformer or Power IO board. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can test?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-and-room-lighting-flicker?hl=joelbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.