(Topic ID: 243073)

GHS2 after upgrading to a ColorDMD - Slam tilt switch is stuck closed.

By Golgotha

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Golgotha
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6484 (resized).jpg
CPU Assembly (resized).jpg
Power Driver Assembly (resized).jpg
IMG_6474 (resized).jpg
IMG_6457 (resized).jpg
IMG_6456 (resized).jpg
IMG_6469 (resized).jpg
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
IMG_6475 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

GHS2 played fine with no issues. After upgrading to a ColorDMD - It will not start a game and states "Slam tilt switch is stuck closed. The ColorDMD appears to be working fine and rev display 3.3 so the USB update worked fine. Any ideas? I looked at the tiny slam tilt on coin door and the larger one next to coin box and they appear to be open.

IMG_6475 (resized).jpgIMG_6475 (resized).jpgIMG_6476 (resized).jpgIMG_6476 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Unplug power to the new display and see if the error goes away or not.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

I disconnected both cables from the ColorDMD. Obviously I could not read anything on the display but when I pressed the start button the starter makes noise but seems like I am either not getting spark or fuel to the blower. LMAO Game does not start.

#4 4 years ago

Hook color DMD back up. Disconnect switch connectors from CPU. Turn game on, if error doesn't go away, CPU has an issue. If it goes away, a short out in the game making like a stuck closed slam tilt.

#5 4 years ago

TheColorDMD connects to J116 on Driver board using a piggyback. What connector(s) are you referring to on the CPU Assembly. See attached board pictures for your convenience.

IMG_6474 (resized).jpgIMG_6474 (resized).jpgIMG_6456 (resized).jpgIMG_6456 (resized).jpgIMG_6457 (resized).jpgIMG_6457 (resized).jpgCPU Assembly (resized).jpgCPU Assembly (resized).jpgPower Driver Assembly (resized).jpgPower Driver Assembly (resized).jpgIMG_6469 (resized).jpgIMG_6469 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

What connector(s) are you referring to on the CPU Assembly.

You manual has the information. See where the slam tilt goes onto the CPU, it will be one of the connectors for the switches along the bottom edge.

#7 4 years ago

I had a similar issue with my IJ years ago. Turned out to be a blown small IC chip on the lower left side of the CPU (if my memory serves me correctly)

Good luck and Game On!
Steveo

#8 4 years ago

I went into switch test and small the door slam tilt read open and when I bent connection to touch it said closed. I did the same thing to test the slam tilt inside next to coin box. Same result. It reads open and when I touched them they changed to closed.

#9 4 years ago

The ColorDMD looks connected correctly to J116 using the furnished piggy back since I already had a connector in J116

#10 4 years ago

Have you tried putting the stock DMD back in to see if the problem goes away?

#11 4 years ago

Just when you think things can't get weirder. If I leave the coin door open the game starts with no issues, well except that no solenoids work, no lights. So the coin door switch is a component of my issues equation, however my issue is bigger than initial thought. If I press the coin door switch it instantly displays Slam Tilt.

The Color DMD looks amazing. I can't imagine ever playing a DMD in puke orange again. Thanks ColorDMD. Now I just need to figure out what I tweaked removing that cable.

IMG_6484 (resized).jpgIMG_6484 (resized).jpg
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

Just when you think things can't get weirder.

Broken wires in the coin door harness ? Broken where you can't see them or shorting together or to metal ?

#13 4 years ago

Thanks to local pinball genius Chris at Firebird Pinball. I am fully functional. Amazing what a loosened ribbon cable can do to an otherwise perfect game. Thanks to everybody's ideas. I am so happy. OMG Playing Getaway with a ColorDMD is almost crack-like. Adds an entirely new level of enjoyment. Seriously if you have a DMD game call ColorDMD.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 49.99
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods
Plastics
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus
Other
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghs2-after-upgrading-to-a-colordmd-slam-tilt-switch-is-stuck-closed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.