(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tiltmonster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#677 7 years ago

I could careless about this new movie and I fail to see what that has to do with the GB pinball machine.

#720 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I would be happy to have either TH or GB in my collection. However, with the prices of these games going the way they are, they almost need to be a "perfect storm" in order to justify the funds.
I sold an HUO LOTR and super nice WW to fund a KISS LE last year. Hindsight can be pretty brutal sometimes.
I encourage everyone to go and play these games on locations and give them an honest look before putting down the deposit.

Sound advise but I have to tell you, the GB hype is difficult to ignore and I find myself caught up in it too...

#785 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Very, very nice!^^°
JJP & Stern living in perfect harmony.

Ebony and Ivory, living together in perfect... oops, sorry!

They do look good together, congrats!

1 week later
#931 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's the programming costs...

I thought this was designed around the premium/le so wouldn't there be more costs in the pro?

1 month later
#1208 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ok, so I've played both Ghostbusters pro and premium a lot. Before comparing to TH, I'll talk about the difference between those two real briefly in regards to value. We all know the feature differences, so I won't rehash those.
The Slimer is MUCH better on the premium/LE than it is on the pro. I really enjoyed how he moved around and that if you wanted to go for a him in a safer position, you could trap up and let him move. The right ramp isn't any easier to hit, but the look of the ball ripping around that curve and coming back to your left flipper is nice. I chained 3 shots together on it, just because it felt good to keep hitting. The steeper left ramp doesn't change a lot, but overall, the left ramp just looks much cooler as the ball comes around and picks up speed before dropping down and back up for a second. The scoop on the right is also more reliable than a saucer.
Does that all add up to $2000 worth more in value? I don't think so. I'm in for an LE, and I feel like I'm grossly overpaying compared to a premium or a pro, but I've been waiting on GB to be made as a theme forever. It's the one title I'm willing to go all in on, but I know that the pro model is a great buy. Yes, the premium is better, but probably not $2000 better. This isn't AC/DC where the gap between pro and premium is massive. This is more like TWD. The extras are nice, but no major concessions on a pro.
That said, everything I say will be based on the premium from here on out.
GB is in a pretty good spot now, but it's scoring is weird. I don't know if it's weird in a bad way, but it's kind of unpredictable until you've put a lot of time on it. Modes are worth tons of points, and when you're between modes, it can be a little like chopping wood, which is somewhat frustrating in a game that's so full of dangerous shots. At least Slimer is a safer shot on the premium, but the target that activates him is the most dangerous shot in the game. Besides modes, bonuses are the other big chunk of your score. Build up a big bonus, complete modes, and you'll score huge. If you're more used to relying on multiballs for score, you will need to change your thinking on GB.
The shot layout is great. There's not any gimme shots anywhere as they packed a lot of shots in, so everything is fairly narrow. It can lead to lots of post hits and drains, but made shots feel so blasted good. If you're not an accurate shooter or you're impatient to improve, this game will probably frustrate you. I kind of worry how long it's going to take my wife and kids to enjoy the game. When Iron Man was brand new, my wife hated it. She enjoys it now, but it took at least 6 months. GB is going to be similar, I think.
The modes are a lot of fun, but I understand how the progression ladders are going to be controversial. Personally, I think the progression is great! Chaining modes through a strong ball is so cool. From We Got One, to the Sedgewick Hotel, to He Slimed Me, to The Ballroom is quite a great progression. It's like the 2nd act of the movie tightly integrated into the shots. If you struggle to complete modes, you can at least continue them later, but for lesser-skilled players, they're not going to see some of those upper ladder modes very often.
The dots and animations are great, but I'm not a fan of the red DMD. I think this will look fantastic with Color DMD down the line, but it's going to be a wait and it's obviously going to cost extra. The hard work that went into good animations get lost in that red mud of that display.
The magna slings are still something I'm forming my opinion on. On one hand, I love that they're different, but honestly, 70% of the time they're like normal slings with less kick. 5% of the time they do something really cool, like making the ball move in a circle or in a loop to the inlane. 5% of the time they screw you by pulsing just enough to center the ball over the drain and let it fall. The other 20% of the time, they don't even fire and you get a dead bounce. I'm sure switch adjusting can alter all that stuff if you make them more sensitive. I don't know, I'm glad they're in the game, but they're not anything revolutionary or disastrous. I wouldn't base a purchase on them.
We all know that the art is spectacular. Along with Metallica and TSPP, Ghostbusters is the best Stern has ever offered in regards to art. The audio is right there too! Great use of licensed music and the original tracks are perfect for the them. Tracks like Spook Central feel like they were pulled right from the 80s. The voice acting has its ups and downs. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near what we've had from games like TSPP, LOTR, or the original SM, either. Certain voice clips sound phoned in, but I do think that Ernie Hudson tried to do his best.
Bottom line, however, is that Ghostbusters is fun to play, and watching it is engaging. The ball flies around quickly, and the game plays smoothly if you're making shots. It's a very tough game. Along with IM and TWD, GB is one of Stern's most challenging games. I'd say it's probably #3 in regards to difficulty, so you have to love a challenge to enjoy this game.
Choosing between the two, I would take Ghostbusters, and it's not close for me. Sure, others will find that GB stresses them out and gravitate towards TH, but I like the increased challenge and better flow of GB. The pop ups, the simple layout, and the overly long ball times on TH with constantly interrupted flow keep the game from comparing well against GB for what I'm looking for in pinball right now. 6-7 years ago, I might have liked TH more, but not today and definitely not going forward as I keep improving as a player.

Nicely written, well done +1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 25.50
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tiltmonster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=tiltmonster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.