(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statsdoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I still want to play the TH and can't count out one day buying one as Keith Johnson is my favorite pinball programmer. Keith knows how to tell a themes story through code in unique ways so I'm sure I'll be surprised how well the game eventually plays thanks to his great code work. JJP also has David Thiel working on the games audio which from what I heard sounds like one of the best audio offerings in pinball. Combine that with JP's great animation work and it's easy to see how TH once the code is done will be a great game.

If I recall, WOZ was panned early for many of the same reasons that TH is panned now ... slow game, not many satisfying shots, etc. I believe WOZ is now a tremendous pin (and my personal favorite) due to the code development. It wasnt that way for some time though. I am hoping patience is a virtue with TH too, particularly since TH code is still pre-version 1.0 and much of the audio and many of the modes are not yet implemented. I see this as a long term bet on Keith and the other programmers at JJP. If they don't carry it through like WOZ, then I will likely not buy another JJP pin NIB. I am betting they will though and am keeping my pre-order.
The irony of it is that, like a Stern purchase, you are betting that the final code is worth the risk of an early purchase. I don't think that was what Jack was aiming for, but at least his track record is 1 for 1 at the moment.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Same problem that WoZ has ... way too analytic gameplay-wise.

I knew there was a reason they appealed to me.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Size Matters here too.
If I had room for like 20 machines, I think TH would have to have a place. It's unique, it's gorgeous to look at. The sound is great. Theme integration is great. Gameplay, however, is like the 5th best thing about it . So, if I "collected" pins - it'd be a little different. But in my limited collection, I need to focus on games I love to PLAY.
TH falls short in that area (for me). GB looks to have the better balance of looks (finally, Stern) and FUN.

Definitely respect this, but I am on the other side of the argument. With a small collection, I need deep games that feel different and can play different each time. WOZ allows me to go after such different goals (finish the crystal ball, collect all the horses, etc.) that I find myself playing a vastly different game each time.

I also find that the toys themselves, like the playfield with the spinning house, would not be near as interesting out of context. I spin the house to land on the damn witch, not just to count the spins. I bash on the castle to free Dorothy. (I have to admit to feeling weird writing that) Keith is wonderful at putting playfield actions in a context that tells a story. That is what I want (and that might be why the big LCD is meaningful to me.)

I will readily admit that I might be in the minority here with that opinion, but that is okay with me. Play on ...

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yes, but I was talking about TH, not WOZ. And, while there are similarities, i think they are different gameplay-wise, which is my challenge....

I understand and won't tell you I am not struggling with the constant pop-up "trolls" and the layout. I am hoping TH will fill the same needs after Hobbit's code becomes more fully developed. Keith did it with WOZ, and that layout didn't inspire anyone either at first.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Apples and Oranges.
In 8 years, JJP has delivered almost 1 game I enjoy playing. So, let's round up and give them a 50% hit rate.
Sterns hit rate is lower, but it can afford to be. Why? Because theyve delivered like 10x more titles to choose from. AND, they can afford to build games with smaller, yet super passionate followings (Kiss), where JJP has to deliver a broad market hit EVERY time or risk business failure.
So, in the same time period, while there's some losers from Stern, there's more winners than JJp has had. I'd consider ACDC, MET, GB (and I'm leaning towards adding TWD) to be winners in the "JJP timeline." Others probably would suggest the list of Stern winners is even longer...

I see this as 1 out of 1 for JJP, and about 2 out of 10 for Stern (in my opinion on what I am looking for). Hey I am a numbers guy; I play probabilities.

Quoted from Jvspin:

I wouldn't either because of their track record in producing games I consider worth buying. That's why I always take a "wait and see" approach when they announce a new title. The only reason I pre-ordered Hobbit was because of my excellent experience with WOZ, to get a discount and to lock in a price (I thought this important knowing the game would take years to complete).
But consider, I've been collecting long enough that I've gotten to the point where a game has to have the entire package for me to purchase at today's prices. Being "fun" is not enough. It has to have enough toys or special features, good fit and finish, art, sound, theme integration and be "fun". That's a pretty tall order.
I'll admit Hobbit is a risk. I definitely think it has enough in the theme integration, sound, display, fit and finish and art departments to make it special in my collection. Question is, will I think it's fun enough? I'm hopeful as I like drop targets and Keith has been the programmer on some of my favorite games. As you can tell, I lean towards the past history as an indication of future performance philosophy.

This!

#212 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I may be in the minority but I like WOZ from the first time I played it...I'm guessing it had code 4.11 or so it was somewhat developed by then.

It was still a okay game back in the 1.XX versions, but nothing like the game it is now. I would have sold it by now if we were still playing 1.XX versions.

1 week later
#436 8 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

What is calculating the médian rating?

It figures that I would answer this ... he is referring to the statistical median (the midpoint in the data) which would effectively eliminate the effect of outliers on the rating. It would solve the problem, but a 10-20% trimmed mean would also work ... again suggested by someone else.

Bad data is bad data though. Calculating different statistics will not make it good data, but it might mitigate the effect of those that are hell-bent on manipulating the ratings.

#438 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Thank goodness there is a Statsdoc in the house!
The problem is that people still try and game the system. If someone like (insert manipulative user) wants to manipulate the ratings and the formula gets changed, they simply look for the new edge that still does the most damage. When people were suggesting getting rid of bogus "1" ratings, "3" became the new one.
Ratings tend to get watered down in the face of intentional manipulation. Statistics can help, but in the end intentional manipulation still skews any results making them less reliable.

Exactly! Bad data + statistics = bad statistics!

We could go down the rabbit hole by normalizing the ratings based on the rater, but then none of us would know what the hell the numbers meant. Simplicity is better. Everything can be manipulated by those that are so inclined.

That said, I have always favored the median over the average. Robin should give it a try.
Averages are overrated. (I apologize in advance for that play on words)

#440 8 years ago

Nothing like a statistician to kill conversation.

#442 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Back on IPDB if I was looking at a machine I ignored it's ratings, and just went and read the comments. You can learn a lot about a game reading them. Agendas become obvious in the text, and some people write insightful things about the game. They text is always more valuable on the less "politicized" games. You can't get much truth on any new Stern or JJP game anymore.

Good advice!

Comments are much better data than the numbers. I try to find pinsiders that make comments that are in line with my feelings about a game. Then I see what else they like and try those pins first. Much better information than the rankings.

#444 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

So you're saying unless a shot passes through or drops into an area it isn't satisfying to hit or very meaningful. You really don't consider the ram shot on GOT or the captive balls on GB as shots? What about hitting the correct stand up on HS to light the kickback, or the individual targets to advance from green to yellow to red?
I guess I'll agree to disagree. Satisfying and meaningful are very subjective.

I agree, particularly when you hear that Keith has a roving set of drop targets in Hobbit that you have to avoid shooting while hitting targets behind them. That would be a satisfying and meaningful shot to me just because of the context.

I have a feeling Keith is going to surprise us with his ingenuity using Hobbit drop targets.

1 week later
#519 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I 100% agree SKB! It would be a blast to drive a tank for a day or a week but pretty soon it would be like "oh it's time to go drive the tank again.. meh". JMHO after driving said tank, so don't take my word for it drive it your self.. Im not a tank guy (I prefer sports car)
Disclaimer: I spent 10 hours in a skid steer loader on Saturday, it beat the crap out of me.

Quoted from DaveH:

Call me crazy, but if I had a big tank, I'd commute to work in it every day. Each day I would find, or make a new route to my office. I'd want a second tank in the garage in case I sank the first in a swimming pool or something. Sure, it would be slower than my car, but I'd never have to sit in traffic.

Ultimately, this is a another "car"gument, which I think you would both agree really does not work here. Different strokes for different folks.

I love WOZ and would prefer the sports car. Go figure.

1 week later
#679 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I agree. An underutilized feature is pretty benign....
Hell, I have buttons on my camera - I have no idea what they do -it's still a great camera!
Does it really negatively affect ANYONE's gameplay???
To me, its a non-issue, and there are far more relevant things to be critical of with TH (in its current state).

It is funny to me though that so many players in the videos can't resist flipping the ball as it goes by the third flipper in Hobbit.

It is like they can't stop themselves. (I will admit to partially describing myself here.)

2 weeks later
#1035 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I have a feeling TH and GB are going to be a similar story with location vs home use- where you need them in your house and to put several hundred games on them to appreciate to their fullest.

... and probably for different reasons. Home users will learn to better keep the ball in play on GB and get deeper into the game. Hobbit home users will be able to fully explore the vast ruleset and all the modes.

#1038 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That's why I can't pit them against each other, apples and oranges, and play completely differently.

^^ Truth!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.95
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statsdoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=statsdoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.