(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#171 8 years ago

Size Matters here too.

If I had room for like 20 machines, I think TH would have to have a place. It's unique, it's gorgeous to look at. The sound is great. Theme integration is great. Gameplay, however, is like the 5th best thing about it . So, if I "collected" pins - it'd be a little different. But in my limited collection, I need to focus on games I love to PLAY.

TH falls short in that area (for me). GB looks to have the better balance of looks (finally, Stern) and FUN.

#175 8 years ago

What I would also find interesting:

For people that HAVENT pre-ordered (and have a 3-4 yr VERY emotional attachment to TH), where would you spend your NEW MONEY:

So, you have $10k in your pocket, and both games are in front of you, which gets your money?

I guess I ask it that way, one, because I think there's a lack of objectivity for "investors"; and two, because that's the way I look at games (since I'm not a pre-orderer).

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Definitely respect this, but I am on the other side of the argument. With a small collection, I need deep games that feel different and can play different each time. WOZ ...

Yes, but I was talking about TH, not WOZ. And, while there are similarities, i think they are different gameplay-wise, which is my challenge....

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I wouldn't either because of their track record in producing games I consider worth buying. .

Apples and Oranges.

In 8 years, JJP has delivered almost 1 game I enjoy playing. So, let's round up and give them a 50% hit rate.

Sterns hit rate is lower, but it can afford to be. Why? Because theyve delivered like 10x more titles to choose from. AND, they can afford to build games with smaller, yet super passionate followings (Kiss), where JJP has to deliver a broad market hit EVERY time or risk business failure.

So, in the same time period, while there's some losers from Stern, there's more winners than JJp has had. I'd consider ACDC, MET, GB (and I'm leaning towards adding TWD) to be winners in the "JJP timeline." Others probably would suggest the list of Stern winners is even longer...

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Has anyone played Ghostbusters?
If so how was it?

Ive been out of town for a week, but a quick catchup of the last 1000 posts or so would suggest the topper has made it unplayable.

#297 8 years ago
Quoted from mrmark0673:

Largely agree, I love the idea of a light bar topper...

Oh the irony!

I made a tongue-in-cheek comment trying to illustrate the incredible MEANINGLESSNESS of the topper and what happens, 6 comments fixated on a topper (that no one has even seen the final design of).

Oh pinside...

#321 8 years ago

My question is:

Where are the rave reviews from new TH owners? I really expected a FLOOD of threads with folks sharing their experience playing the news games that started arriving last week.

I saw one weak excuse for the lack of positive reviews- something like TH has been revealed so much over the past couple years that we shouldn't expect the "new pin excitement" now when they arrive.

i think thats BS.

I could make the case for the exact OPPOSITE: that there is SOOO much excitement form people after being forced to wait 3-4 years for this game that they are over-the-top excited to get it in their house!

So whats the deal?

My experience playing in on location was decidedly "looks beautiful, but playing it is ho-hum", I wonder if thats not the current prevailing opinion?

Is everyone just going to do a "hail mary" for "really good code will fix this"?

#340 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Both Keith and Ted have been working on the game this whole time, but there were fundamentals that needed to be done first, unrelated to the game rules, plus there's Pindemption which took up most of Keith's time for 6+ months.
No one was laid off or wasn't working on the game.

if thats the truth (which frankly.... well...),
Then Thank God Jack didn't actually ship this pin on time 15 months ago.... what in the world was the status of the coding THEN?!!?!

Sorry, it doesn't add up.

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought shipping without complete code was "fraud?"
An oldie but a goodie

glasshouses_(resized).jpgglasshouses_(resized).jpg

#356 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

No, a hail Mary suggests that people are praying for really good code.
TH has Keith Johnson. This situation is more like Joe Montana throwing to Jerry Rice.
» YouTube video

Yeah, but those guys didn't play with an unlimited play clock....

#375 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So how did this play out? Was everybody tasteful?

Sure, discussing a game no one has played vs one that Nearly no one has played..... What could go wrong?

#389 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Captainneo would disagree...
image_(resized).jpg

Game, Set, Match.

#459 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

This certainly isn't wishful thinking or anything, so don't take what I'm about to ask the wrong way. WOZ grew on me and I think it's the best theme integration I've ever seen. I remain lukewarm on the game play. However, I always seem to refer to WOZ when it comes to dream themes, as in I'd love to see the Back to the Future trilogy get the "WOZ" treatment.
Anyway, the question is this: If The Hobbit flops, is JJP done, or do they have enough financial backing to press on?

Probably not, because, I don't think TH CAN be a flop since they've already collected the vast majority of the money for it...

i think all eyes are on JJP #3, without prepay, to measure if the company has the chops to survive...

1 week later
#538 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Six games on early code and your opinion is cemented? Sheesh. ...

Early code? They've been working on it for like 3 years!

Sheesh back at ya.

#587 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I would take TH over GB. More value for what you get..

Until you plunge the ball....

#607 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

But have fun with your GB pin with overly linear mode progression, cheap drains, and that old fashioned display with crappy captures from the movie.

Lol...

If pinball machines were intended to be pieces of art, TH would win. But, they're not... MOST people want them to be fun to play as well.

Almost everyone that's played GB has commented positively on how fun the game is.
Almost everyone who has something positive to say about TH talks about how fun they HOPE it MAY BE..... In the future.

If people can't see that HUGE difference.... then no amount of logical discussion will change their minds.

#609 8 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

Ghostbusters, fast with numerous shots - some easy, many hard. Game times are much shorter than the hobbit. The only downside I found was out lanes were vacuum cleaners. Kind of reminded me of Iron Man there.

Operators are going to love it!

#613 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Completely ridiculous post. Not only do you make many assumptions, but you conclude that the only LOGICAL conclusion is yours. These are all subjective opinions, largely based on emotion. You trying to make someone's definition of "fun" as something logical is absurd.

lol... ridiculous why, because you emotionally disagree?

Sure, they are "subjective opinions"... (is there such a thing as an 'objective opinion')

And, *Im* not defining anyone elses concept on fun. Im making a simple observation that MOST (not ALL) of the feedback about GB has been positive. And an observation that TH feedback has been more mixed, and furthermore, many of those that are giving positive feedback about the pin comment about how they have faith the code will improve it (many from people who've waited 2-3 years for this game).

If you'd like to disagree with that observation, feel free, but I think its fairly accurate.

#616 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

No matter what JJP releases the feedback will be more mixed. If they had released the exact version of GB that Stern released the feedback would also be more mixed. JJP feedback transcends the actual game.

Ha, true!

#625 8 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys walk into a friends home, and tell him that his collection is "wrong" because it's not the same as yours?
Idiots. All of you.

Im guessing EXACTLY the same number of people who walk into a friends house and call them an idiot when you disagree with them.

net_toughguy_(resized).jpgnet_toughguy_(resized).jpg

#630 8 years ago

Well, based on what Ive seen in the pinside forums so far:

The quality control edge goes to GB....

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

To me, someone who points out the 3rd flipper as being a big negative in the game comes across as someone just looking to find fault and that's the best they could come up with.

I agree. An underutilized feature is pretty benign....

Hell, I have buttons on my camera - I have no idea what they do -it's still a great camera!

Does it really negatively affect ANYONE's gameplay???

To me, its a non-issue, and there are far more relevant things to be critical of with TH (in its current state).

1 week later
#844 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

You do realise that you can adjust the flipper strength in the settings

"You DO realize" that for the average person that walks up to the game on location- we can't?
Just like the folks that have commented elsewhere "meh, the ball only got stuck once or twice in an evening of playing"- unfortunately, for those games on location- we can't just slide the glass off to fix.... it oftentimes means the game gets unplugged.

Its just beyond reason JJP would ship these games with underpowered flipper settings... especially after altho grief in the past. It's JUST Dumb.

One area where JJP certainly seems to have "caught up " to the big boys like Stern is in shoddy QC....

#858 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like Woz is a much better game than TH and therefore will be a bigger seller for JJP so unless they can have a back up game that will ship soon-ish they're going to be in a world of hurt. Or maybe JJP will continue to sell Woz to fill in the gap from TH sales.

Agree. Theres nearly zero "buzz" around TH. ESPECIALLY from those not already emotionally tied to one with a pre-order.

Stern releasing a very well-done game at the same time certainly didn't help...

#866 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I don't think any company could maintain a 3 year buzz for a pinball. Does everyone really think that people would be raving about GB if it was announced in 2012 and just coming out now?

Agreed if we're just talking about "marketing, pre-release kind of buzz"

But TH's are in the wild now.... people are playing them. There's no buzz from folks that are actually playing the game. 3 years to get out the door and they stubbed their toe (again) with qc issues AND, (completely inexplicably) way incomplete code.

I can't imagine theres many people that walk away from playing a TH (right now) saying, "damn, I HAVE to have one of those, where do I order." I've played one quite a bit locally and seen people walk away before they even finish the game.... That's NOT the walk-away experience that leads to success.

#878 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm *raises hand* this is me; not sure why you consistently preach that no one whos not invested doesnt like this game.

And yet, you DIDNT buy/order the game, so while you may be disagreeing with my assumption, you certainly are supporting it with your actions....

My point was simple:
I've heard of few people that after PLAYING the game, have fallen in love with it.

btw, that in no way makes it unique in the pinball world... I don't recall hearing very many love-at-first-sight stories about Stern WWE or Mustang either, so it's a simple observation- not an indictment.

#887 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

People also didn't overwhelming enjoy MET, Star Trek, and WOZ for a while until the code was further along / completed. TH has two of the best pinball programmers creating the code for the game, it's going to be a masterpiece when finished
Don't ever doubt the power of the Keefer! That man has a gift for telling a themes story and making you feel like you are on a quest through his code work.

Yes, but theres a big difference between those games and TH.... layout.

In fact, there was guy here on pinside, I forget who, who was VERY passionate about about the number of awesome toys JJP put in WoZ... not sure why, but TH seems almost bare compared to WoZ (toy-wise).

I just don't see software making that playfield less lonely

Now- the trolls are the one wildcard I see as being a way for him to "change" the playfield. I know many have complained about the trolls (deservedly so), but they *DO* represent a way to alter the playfield a bit. I think they will become a big plus for this game eventually (vs somewhat of an annoyance now).

#912 7 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

What are you even talking about?
I make a comment about how lowepg has repeated himself .

Geez, now you're repeating yourself about me repeating myself....

Btw- check your facts- I never said TH sucked.
Also, I enjoyed the hyperbole in your rant "the audacity" part... Lol.

I said I was doubting that it was inspiring people (in its current state) to buy one (outside ppl who preordered). If you have evidence to the contrary- please share.
GB seems to be having the exact opposite effect, and, this IS a thread comparing the 2 games.

BTW expletive, have you even played both these games?

Feel free to use the ignore button if you're unhappy with my discussion.... I'll be super sad, but I'll get over it....

#953 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Nope, $1500 more for green armor, which isn't even the best version Stern is selling, is the only real extra. Well that and the tiny LE plaque that is barely readable, the signature on the playfield and certificate of authenticity. Everything else is just cosmetic, artwork and a translite (using same materials) also come with the pro and premium.

pfft! that's it!?!?! .... they'll never be able to sell them all!

#982 7 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

The ironic part of this debate is that these two pins would be awesome compliments to each other in a collection. Both look great and have widely appealing themes but with very different play styles.

truth.

Perhaps some of us (non-owners) are just as jaded in our evaluation of Th as the owners are in defending it.

I can see TH being an acquired taste, and as such, more attractive to the home user as they can spend hours emerging themselves in the rules and exploring all the nuances of the game. The game also seems to benefit (more than the typical Stern) from the correct setup (pitch, flipper strength, etc)

The game (as it stands today) just isn't as approachable in the wild. GB (and GoT and TWD) just deliver more bang-for-the-buck IMO when you simply walk up to them and drop the tokens in. The tradeoff might be a far more superficial and shallow game, juries still out on that as well.

1 week later
#1131 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I don't get the arguing over this still.
Why does anyone care if one person likes TH over GB, ...

Yes, shocking to see people comparing these two releases to one another.... oh wait... the thread is titled "GB vs TH" hmmm?

lol...

shocked_(resized).jpgshocked_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 25.50
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.