(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 8 years ago

For me, this one isn't close. I went Ghostbusters. Nothing against The Hobbit, it just didn't move the needle for me.

1 week later
#412 8 years ago

FT sucks, but it's nowhere near the abomination that SP is. That's a mindless game that is nothing but awful in all aspects.

1 month later
#872 7 years ago

I don't think I've played The Hobbit under ideal circumstances, but even with that, I'm just not a big fan of the shot map. There's not much to hit, and it's made worse by spreading the shots out across a widebody. Combine that with the fact that it's broken all the time (seriously, something always seems to be breaking down), and I would easily take Ghostbusters over The Hobbit.

The Ghostbusters vs. WoZ is a more interesting debate, because I feel like the differences are more subjective. GB vs. TH, I think it's hard to pick TH if you're being objective.

#882 7 years ago

I don't think that The Hobbit will ever be a masterpiece, regardless of code. The shot layout just isn't there.

#907 7 years ago

WPT is ugly, but it's a great player. Lots of fun. Too many people can't see past the art to give it a fair shake, however.

1 week later
#1089 7 years ago

After hours of play on each, I really don't think it's a very close comparison at this point. The Hobbit has potential, but that potential is pretty limited. The shots just aren't there. Great code can elevate a game, but it can only take it so far before you start to realize that the shot layout is just not great. The novelty of the pop ups goes away fast, and the upper flipper is just outright useless. TH isn't a bad game, but it's a step back from the more dynamic game that WoZ turned out to be with its huge shot map. Ball times are also WAY too long, even on a game with a steep pitch.

As for Ghostbusters, it has tons of shots, and they feel great. The code is already strong, and has lots of time left to mature. Even when the game beats you up, and it does often, it's still fun to play "one more time" over and over. After failing a mode, however, it is a bit of a dangerous grind to get modes lit once more. Code can change how this all works in big ways, but the game's pacing is a little uneven right now.

I can see how someone would play the two games and get excited by The Hobbit's quick accessibility and flashiness, but with a really pedestrian shot chart, the game will most likely not have the sort of long-term appeal that Ghostbusters will have.

TH is not a bad game, and will improve over time, but I'm not expecting it to be viewed as one of pinball's greats years down the road. I do think Ghostbusters will be, however.

#1093 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Keith's legacy is TSPP, LOTR and WoZ. All because of the code. I think the reverse.

Those are games with good layouts. The Hobbit doesn't have a shot chart that measures up with any of those three.

#1097 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Hobbit has more shots then WOZ and GB.

Don't be dense. That's a ridiculous statement. It's flat out untrue.

#1103 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Have all the shots you want, it doesn't mean squat if there are not unique and interesting rules to take advantage of them.

The inverse is also true...

LOTR and TSPP are two of my top 10 games of all time. They're perfect examples of great layouts combines with great code. But that's the thing, they have both, not just one.

Quoted from Concretehardt:

Panzer I think you are a solid guy with a huge passion for this hobby! Don't let myself or anyone else ruin your day, it's only pinball (it is supposed to be fun)

He's too busy clicking thumbs up or thumbs down on posts to actually understand that. White Knight duty is hard.

#1107 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The game shoots better and is more satisfying that my GOT premium, that's for sure.

GoT premium is a definite misfire. The pro is a better game, for sure.

Panzer, you need to put down your sword and shield and let people talk. At this point you've directly argued with yourself passionately. That's...well, that's something. This thread is a "VS" thread. You can't ask for strong opinions and then get mad when people offer them. As long as they're reasoned, there's no need to jump down their throat and make up things that aren't true to support your side of the argument.

#1112 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I can sit here and say TH has more shots then WOZ depending on how shots are defined. That doesn't mean I'm making things up, that's just an opinion.

There's no rational way to define shots in any way that gets you to a point where you can conclude that The Hobbit has more shots than Wizard of Oz. Don't waste your time doing it, because nobody will buy it. Just. Stop.

#1115 7 years ago

I don't think anybody would be disappointed with The Hobbit. It's a solid game. Aside from games that are solid top 10 games, just about anything will have another game, or several, that you can point to as an example of a better game. That doesn't make The Hobbit worse simply because there are better games. Something like BSD is a fantastic game, but the majority of people out there are going to say that MM is better. That doesn't make BSD a disappointment.

The Hobbit is a good game, but the point of this thread was to compare it directly to Ghostbusters. GB has more going for it right now. That doesn't make GB the best game ever and TH the worst game ever. Even preferring GB doesn't mean that you're putting down TH.

I like TZ more than WoZ. That doesn't mean that I hate WoZ. Heck, I like TZ more than GB at this point, but if I could only buy one of the two right now, I'd buy GB. People should be able to say those sorts of things without some pinball zealot running up to get in their face.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

1 player controlled skill shot to top lanes

Just there, you're missing some shots. You missed several shots on WoZ. Either way, this isn't how people define shots in pinball. Don't try to change a standard definition to make a weak point.

#1118 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

And WOF is a fantastic game even though he never got a chance to finish the rules and add the polish the game deserves. The game is so tough though that 95% of all players aren't good enough to even get to the Wizard mode which the game is lacking.

It's a real shame that the code never got completed on Wheel of Fortune or that the layout couldn't be repurposed for another theme. It's really a fun game and totally unique. And man, that's probably the most legit "skill shot" of any plunge I can think of. It's ridiculously hard to get.

#1120 7 years ago

And before anybody questions it, I do think that Keith Johnson is the best programmer we have right now in pinball. He's probably the best ever.

#1143 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I doubt it's going to put up much of a fight against TH in the home. Might be a nice change of pace going back and forth though.

At shows, the lines for Ghostbusters vs. The Hobbit are heavily slanted in GB's favor. At least 5 in most cases that I've seen. At home, it depends on mood entirely. If you have 45 minutes, play one game of The Hobbit. If you have 10 minutes, play two of Ghostbusters. Haha.

#1149 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Walk away frustrated with GB after 10 min, walk away smiling with TH after 45 min. Think about if that is true when you play both at the same event. ... Be truthful.

Actually, if you're in a 4 player game, you're just relieved that it's over with The Hobbit. Too long.

#1165 7 years ago

Panzer, dude, chill out. You're more defensive than a mama bear. Posting a spec sheet one more time isn't going to sway opinion, and that's ok! It's so irritating that you smother out every critical comment with loads of premanufactured responses that we've all read a thousand times.

If you are going to accuse people of being rude, take a look at your own behavior first.

#1167 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You got Panzer and KPG...DO NOT mention Ghostbusters 2 PLEASE!!

If you say GB2 three times, Beetlekirk appears and raises up the shield.

I like GB2 though...

2 weeks later
#1190 7 years ago

I helped fix The Hobbit a couple of times this weekend. That thing is like a tank. It definitely had weightier feel all around than any version of Ghostbusters.

#1204 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I thought "built like a tank" implied it didn't break down. I guess it just means it's heavy.

Not just built heavy, you can tell that JJP uses better quality materials across the board. Better wood, better metals, better plastics, better decals, better clearcoat. The engineering is still coming along though. Too many things were reinvented that didn't need to be that cause issues, but those are getting worked out. That left habitrail is a good example of that. Great quality, but shoddily engineered (though a fix is coming to replace that).

JJP isn't alone in that though. Designers often want to change things that they will perceive to be better aesthetically or by feel and they just prove to not be when it comes to reliability.

Those sorts of discussions are all distraction from what matters though. Which of the two games is more fun? Well, they're wildly different. Ghostbusters is very fast, focuses on chaining together accurate shots, and knowing quickly where to go next. The Hobbit is much slower, much more deliberate, and sort of allows you to wander in and out of stuff. If you don't like a fast and punishing game, GB won't be for you no matter what. If you don't like a slower game, TH is not going to hook you either.

I probably put more time on The Hobbit more than any other game over the weekend. There were three at RMPS and it was easy to get on a game without a wait, or only having to wait out the person currently playing. I put high scores on all three machines, so I had some good games too. The game is just simply a step back from WoZ. WoZ is a fantastic game that has a layout that favors very deep code integration. TH is the opposite. They may throw complex modes into the game, but the layout doesn't back it up. Some modes need to be outright removed too. Bash the Orc?! We don't get enough of bashing pop ups already?

The controlled drop targets are cool, especially with the stand up targets behind them. It's pretty fun trapping up, waiting to fire, and then nailing it just right. Backhanding the ramps also feels very nice, and the shots to the holes (can't really call 'em scoops) are challenging.

In the end, however, the game is just not for me at this time. The pop ups need to be appearing far less often. After a minute or two into the game, they just start to feel like an annoyance, especially when the game is telling you to hit a ramp but those stupid things keep blocking the shot. They wreck flow and conflict with game goals. They make the multiballs just a frenzied mess.

The game is fairly slow. That's not always bad, but with the pop up lids and the rollovers all over the middle areas of the game, you get a lot of balls that have their trajectory altered. Shots to the captive ball, to the drop targets, and ramp shots that take a U-turn are always getting redirected by a playfield surface that isn't flat.

Build quality, art, lighting, fit and finish, the Hobbit is a winner. Gameplay is decent right now, and will ultimately be improved through code, but that layout will always be a limiting factor. It's probably going to be a very good game for casuals, families, and location. It might even be fine in a larger collection, but I would be wary of it in a single title collection or a small one. Down the line, I think WoZ will be the better of the two based on the strength of layout and rules.

I'll give my thoughts on GB later as it is a "vs." thread now that I've played both pro and premium.

#1207 7 years ago

Ok, so I've played both Ghostbusters pro and premium a lot. Before comparing to TH, I'll talk about the difference between those two real briefly in regards to value. We all know the feature differences, so I won't rehash those.

The Slimer is MUCH better on the premium/LE than it is on the pro. I really enjoyed how he moved around and that if you wanted to go for a him in a safer position, you could trap up and let him move. The right ramp isn't any easier to hit, but the look of the ball ripping around that curve and coming back to your left flipper is nice. I chained 3 shots together on it, just because it felt good to keep hitting. The steeper left ramp doesn't change a lot, but overall, the left ramp just looks much cooler as the ball comes around and picks up speed before dropping down and back up for a second. The scoop on the right is also more reliable than a saucer.

Does that all add up to $2000 worth more in value? I don't think so. I'm in for an LE, and I feel like I'm grossly overpaying compared to a premium or a pro, but I've been waiting on GB to be made as a theme forever. It's the one title I'm willing to go all in on, but I know that the pro model is a great buy. Yes, the premium is better, but probably not $2000 better. This isn't AC/DC where the gap between pro and premium is massive. This is more like TWD. The extras are nice, but no major concessions on a pro.

That said, everything I say will be based on the premium from here on out.

GB is in a pretty good spot now, but its scoring is weird. I don't know if it's weird in a bad way, but it's kind of unpredictable until you've put a lot of time on it. Modes are worth tons of points, and when you're between modes, it can be a little like chopping wood, which is somewhat frustrating in a game that's so full of dangerous shots. At least Slimer is a safer shot on the premium, but the target that activates him is the most dangerous shot in the game. Besides modes, bonuses are the other big chunk of your score. Build up a big bonus, complete modes, and you'll score huge. If you're more used to relying on multiballs for score, you will need to change your thinking on GB.

The shot layout is great. There's not any gimme shots anywhere as they packed a lot of shots in, so everything is fairly narrow. It can lead to lots of post hits and drains, but made shots feel so blasted good. If you're not an accurate shooter or you're impatient to improve, this game will probably frustrate you. I kind of worry how long it's going to take my wife and kids to enjoy the game. When Iron Man was brand new, my wife hated it. She enjoys it now, but it took at least 6 months. GB is going to be similar, I think.

The modes are a lot of fun, but I understand how the progression ladders are going to be controversial. Personally, I think the progression is great! Chaining modes through a strong ball is so cool. From We Got One, to the Sedgewick Hotel, to He Slimed Me, to The Ballroom is quite a great progression. It's like the 2nd act of the movie tightly integrated into the shots. If you struggle to complete modes, you can at least continue them later, but for lesser-skilled players, they're not going to see some of those upper ladder modes very often.

The dots and animations are great, but I'm not a fan of the red DMD. I think this will look fantastic with Color DMD down the line, but it's going to be a wait and it's obviously going to cost extra. The hard work that went into good animations get lost in that red mud of that display.

The magna slings are still something I'm forming my opinion on. On one hand, I love that they're different, but honestly, 70% of the time they're like normal slings with less kick. 5% of the time they do something really cool, like making the ball move in a circle or in a loop to the inlane. 5% of the time they screw you by pulsing just enough to center the ball over the drain and let it fall. The other 20% of the time, they don't even fire and you get a dead bounce. I'm sure switch adjusting can alter all that stuff if you make them more sensitive. I don't know, I'm glad they're in the game, but they're not anything revolutionary or disastrous. I wouldn't base a purchase on them.

We all know that the art is spectacular. Along with Metallica and TSPP, Ghostbusters is the best Stern has ever offered in regards to art. The audio is right there too! Great use of licensed music and the original tracks are perfect for the theme. Tracks like Spook Central feel like they were pulled right from the 80s. The voice acting has its ups and downs. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near what we've had from games like TSPP, LOTR, or the original SM, either. Certain voice clips sound phoned in, but I do think that Ernie Hudson tried to do his best.

Bottom line, however, is that Ghostbusters is fun to play, and watching it is engaging. The ball flies around quickly, and the game plays smoothly if you're making shots. It's a very tough game. Along with IM and TWD, GB is one of Stern's most challenging games. I'd say it's probably #3 in regards to difficulty, so you have to love a challenge to enjoy this game.

Choosing between the two, I would take Ghostbusters, and it's not close for me. Sure, others will find that GB stresses them out and gravitate towards TH, but I like the increased challenge and better flow of GB. The pop ups, the simple layout, and the overly long ball times on TH with constantly interrupted flow keep the game from comparing well against GB for what I'm looking for in pinball right now. 6-7 years ago, I might have liked TH more, but not today and definitely not going forward as I keep improving as a player.

#1213 7 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I have th and have a gb premium on order. Im really really looking forward to both. They are very good together cuz of the different styles they are. It's like Woz and my twdle. Perfection together.

If you have the money for both, they do compliment each other well, I think. Very different experiences.

#1215 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hmmm. My Hobbit LE hasn't had any issues beyond a ball being stuck in a pop up twice that was released by the games software (JJP will be releasing a permanent fix too). No resets, and most of all no playfield issues! Game plays great and 3 substantial software updates have been released within 3 months of the games release. Also, that SMVE isn't the only recent Stern having reported playfield issues, sadly it looks like a Ghostbusters LE has at a recent show has the issue as well. If Stern is going to raise prices and keep including regular DMD's in game the least they can do is ensure the playfields are made correctly.

You are comparing your personal experience against the entirety of Pinside's experience. If you want to do that, you have to recognize the problems others have had with The Hobbit that you have not.

Stern has had some bad playfields go out, that's obvious. Is it more than in the past, or are the issues just easier to document and expose online these days? I think it's probably some of both. But you also have to remember that they're putting out probably 10-20 times more games than JJP is per day and the games with issues ratio doesn't seem to be any worse.

#1218 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you want to talk about the "entirety of Pinside's experience" then I find it amusing that you attempt to explain away all the posts/threads about Stern's recent problems with their playfields (ghosting) as not necessarily being more than in the past, but it just seems that way because of it being easier to document and expose "online these days."
Has there been some cutting edge new technology released that makes posting pictures on Pinside 20 times easier than it was a year or so ago?
People used to not report these issues on Pinside because it was too difficult? But today it's easier?
Come on man, I love Stern and I know that they will get this issue worked out, but arguing that "it just seems worse now because it's easier to post online now" is a bit silly.

More silly than you ignoring that I said it's both increased exposure and also increased number of bad playfields, but you only focusing on half the statement? More silly than that?

#1221 7 years ago

Who says it should be tolerated?

#1226 7 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I would disagree that it's like TWD--TWD premium has many significant upgrades IMO. Perhaps more like Metallica in difference, yet even less I believe.

The gap between pro and premium is probably the smallest on Metallica than any other Stern title.

Are you always this obstinate, or only when you have money down on a game?

#1230 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

what's wrong with this picture?

The insert is separating from the clearcoat. It looks like a bubble of air in the finish around the edges.

4 weeks later
#1255 7 years ago

Well, we can talk about build quality or whatever, but both games are going to have some level of issues for different reasons. GB has a lot of cheap components (believe me, I have a GB LE and the switches are MUCH cheaper quality than Stern used to use) that may hold up fine in a HUO setting, but they're definitely not as solid as what you get on TH. On the other hand, TH has plenty of issues due to dodgy or questionable engineering. Lots of issues on TH have needed fixes from JJP or users. It's really a pick your poison issue. To say that either is better comes down to what sort of issue you'd rather deal with (quality of component vs. quality of implementation).

The real deciding factor between the two games is still in how the games play. Arguing over quality (or weight of the machine) is nothing but a dead end argument.

#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Both will require tweaking (although I've had to tweak a lot on Hobbit to get it playing right). Both companies will resolve any issue you may have.

The point is that some people just don't want to deal with replacing ramps or adding fixes to their games. Some people don't want to find 5 broken switches out of the box. Others are fine. I'm just saying that both games have their out of the box issues and both games are going to require some initial upfront work. The type of problems vary, but they're all problems in the end. There's no reason to choose either game based on that consideration, so it's still boils down to gameplay, where actual preference is going to matter.

If flow and variation matter, go Ghostbusters. If features and mode complexity matter, go The Hobbit.

#1264 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Exactly. Note the slimer problem.

The "Slimer problem" is one of those bad adjustment and QC oversight deals. Most people don't have an issue, and pretty much everybody has been able to resolve their Slimer problem by adjusting the switch. It's just really weak of Stern to let them go out haphazardly adjusted. For as slowly as the games are coming out from Stern right now, they should be QC'd to death. My GB LE had several issues out of the box that were definitely a result of a lack of proper testing. I've been able to fix them, but it was crazy that I even had to. The switch quality that they're using is awful, and they are super sensitive to exact adjustment.

#1271 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Ok. XMen aux boards, tron spinner motors, etc etc. plenty of examples.

These, again, are examples of what I was saying. Stern uses lower quality components. No matter how reliable they prove to be, they're still lower quality components. I think arguing that Stern uses high quality components would be wrong. JJP has a different issue. Their quality is high, that's obvious once you start poking around. Where JJP has run into trouble is through engineering mishaps. For those that know the full history of The Hobbit's development, it's insane how many engineering problems needed to be corrected.

Now, JJP has learned a lot from its first two titles. Going forward those engineering mistakes will be minimized. New ideas will always come with new problems, but they're figuring it out. They're learning how to test and stress test against scenarios that they just didn't think they'd need to before.

While Stern usually has the engineering down, are they going to be willing to improve on quality, or will profit margin always be the first consideration? Comparing my TSPP, Spider-Man, Tron, Iron Man (original), AC/DC, and GB LE...it's obvious that TONS of quality corners have been cut across the years and it really shows on GB. Sure, GB will be reliable enough over time, but there's no question that pretty much everything on it is built with maximum margin in mind.

#1273 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Given both games are EQUAL fun to play. And Both a JJP game and a Stern LE cost lets say 8K. Which one are you buying? The one with cheap materials or the one with quality materials.

Luckily for Stern, GB runs circles around The Hobbit in regards to fun...and save for the LE version, at a much lower price.

JJP #3 and Stern's next game will be interesting to see do battle. Stern will still have price advantage, but Lawlor is hard to bet against when it comes to fun.

#1278 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

That's an opinion and again completely misses the point.
Jesus, someone made a comment about battle of wits however most come unarmed.

If everyone but you misunderstands your point, I think you need to look at the clarity or validity of the point you're trying to make...

#1282 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

If everyone misunderstands my point, it's considered a "normal" Eggbert post.

How do you want your thoughts? Scrambled.

#1286 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Stern's games are much less complicated. Even moving to Spike hasn't advanced their game that much so far. It will be interesting to see how flexible Spike is in the future.

It's not Spike's fault, but some of the recent Stern decisions are backwards moving. Relocation of the power button, head bolts, moving the service outlet, and other little things like that irk me. I hope Spike can start moving things forward in a way to offset this other stuff.

#1289 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

hat's an opinion and again completely misses the point

You know that your view on feel is an opinion too, right? You yourself said, "in my eyes" when talking about it.

Build quality is objective. Feel is totally subjective. Some might prefer the lighter feel, some may prefer a bit more tankiness. So if you want to point out opinions as invalid, stop using them yourself...or just be open to others having a different opinion than your own.

#1292 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If anyone's ever had a toddler they know the new power button location is WONDERFUL!! Those who don't like it need to suck it up. It's a great location.
Lockbar latches give the bar an overall better solid fit and feel.
Head bolts, while slightly more of a pain, are 10X more secure and worry free of any heads coming crashing down.
My only complaint about spike is the noisy fan but that's minor and doesn't bug me enough to go out and rig a replacement.

I've got two kids, 3 and 7, and I had to put GB on the end of the row so that they can reach. Minor annoyance, but still annoying.

I agree about the latches. Much better than traditional lock down mechs.

I'm going to look into replacing the fan. The one in there is loud.

Quoted from Drenden:

JJP doesn't make a stripped down nerfed game so your point holds no water.
Compare a full featured game to a full featured game.

Well a premium is still much cheaper, but GB pro compares well against TH. So does something like ST or Metallica. But even if you eliminate pros, the premiums are still much less in cost.

#1296 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Shill. That is absolutely acting like a complete shill. One test game had an issue, and it was fixed before full production, yet you raise it as an issue still. If other users had run into it, Pinside would have been blazing with pictures of it. Just how many of these mythical "people" have replaced their ramps?

You do know that JJP has sent out replacements and plans on sending out more, right? Same with the left wireform.

#1298 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm not for or against either product. Actually I like them both so I guess I'm for them both. Anyway, I hope stern sends out fixes for the pros that have faulty slimers or orbit fixes for the GOTLE owners that have suffered head wounds of head banging. Just saying....

They're absolutely should. Stern's stubbornness in regards to communication and acknowledgement of issues is really awful. They're not going to fix the GoT orbit. Just you watch.

#1303 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just fine on mine.

Sounds like a vacuum on mine (which is an LE, but should be the same).

#1304 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This is stupid because I can admit that I like both companies. I'm not shilling for either. Too bad you can't do the same.

I don't even know what you're talking about. I like JJP. I've said so many times. I've said that WoZ is an all time great game. I have no idea why you, Rob, and the rest of the little Hobbit gang have such a collective boner for everything I post, but it's sad. There are like 5 or 6 of you little dorks running around thumbing up each other and thumbing down every single opinion that's not in total harmony with your Gospel of The Shire. It's borderline psychopathic.

You want to know why Pinside threads devolve into garbage? It's because of people like you who are completely unreasonable and combative. Go find some chill.

#1308 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Lucky mine is very loud! I am going to replace it!

Me too. Someone else did as well, right? I thought I saw that somewhere. It's loud enough to hear from across the room when running.

#1312 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You know what's awesome about my GOT? You can't hear the fan when you're playing it.
That's one way to fix it.

Yeah, for the most part it's not noticeable during play. During quiet moments you pick it up, but it's not a big deal while playing.

Again, good thing GoT and GB are amazing games, because the little QC oversights are annoying. Luckily they're well worth the effort.

#1317 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ummmmmm, no. You might want to look up what that is before using it in this context.

This is the last I'm going to say to you. But it fits the bill.

"Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/), also known as sociopathy (/soʊsiˈɒpəθi/), is traditionally defined as a personality disorder expressed by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited behavior."

The way you guys track around Pinside and police opinion is extremely odd. It's hive-minded and hollow. You guys let it slide when anybody dislikes anything but The Hobbit. Well guess what, some people are going to like some games more than The Hobbit. Some people like other games less. Crazy!

If you want to explain why you like something more or less than another thing, nobody should be upset by that. But you guys have gone and made it all personal. It's ridiculous. It's so one-sided. You guys stalk me, and it's gross. Just stop.

#1318 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Jeff, what's up, dude? You're so mellow on your podcast. Why so hostile on Pinside? It's like watching Jekyl and Hyde.

Go read through my post history and watch how often they pick at me when I'm not even talking to or about them. Rob especially can't help himself. I've even had Rob's real life friends text me to apologize for him. If it gets to that point, you know he's out of line.

I just want to talk about pinball, what I like, what I don't like, and why. This personal level stuff is so unwanted.

#1322 7 years ago

It really doesn't matter. I'm done talking to them. They can carry on, I won't respond anymore. I thought Rob would tire of responding to a wall, but he hasn't yet. At some point I'm sure it'll click. It goes for all of them. No more responding to that bickering and baiting.

#1328 7 years ago

Yeah, what's the fun in being mature?

#1338 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Your mom says hi!

Don't forget the $20 she gave you to pass along to him. I know you pocketed it last time.

3 weeks later
#1370 7 years ago

While I'm not happy about the ghosted inserts either, we still don't know what Stern is going to do. It's a little early to panic.

The comparisons between these two games is still hard. They're just so different. Ghostbusters has more flow, a much more directed experience, and shorter ball times with short windows where can blow your score up quickly. It's more of an opportunistic game. The Hobbit is a bit more of a shooter's gallery with a very long journey. You need to get through a lot to score high, and you need to have a lot of patience.

They only real comparison between them is that they're both in production now. Gameplay wise, they're just so disparate that they're hard to compare directly. It's like comparing Twilight Zone to Attack From Mars. There's not much 1 to work with.

#1375 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Everyone says GB has flow, I've never played it but in all the videos I've watched I just don't see it as flowy. If anything it's more stop and go.

It's very flowly in its modes. Lots of combo shots and nearly everything returns to the flippers, aside from the left orbit, which dumps to pops. If you hit your shots, everything tends to flow from one thing to the next.

#1384 7 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Please give me a thumbs up if you think I should keep my GBLE spot.
Please give me a thumbs down if you think I should try and get a refund and buy The Hobbit.

Here's the rub. There are concerns with the current Stern playfields, that's true. Thing is, this will be your only shot at getting an LE. So it's a crappy spot to be in. I have an LE and I've never been so addicted to a pinball machine, but I do have 4 inserts with ghosting on them. I don't notice during play, but it's still a disappointment. But man, the game is absolutely incredible, and I would be really missing out if I had passed on it.

Both games will be available for quite a while. TH is showing up in lots of sales postings, and they're still making more. While you won't be able to get a GBLE, premiums will be in production for a long time too, and there will be a large secondhand market simply due to how many of these games are being sold.

But whatever you do, I would decide for yourself and not base it on thumb votes, because some people are going to do that based on personal agenda, not so much what's really in your best interest.

#1392 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Like you said, both pins will be widely available in the foreseeable future (referring to GB Premium). The smart, non emotional thing to do would be to wait for Stern to iron out the issues before buying a GB.

Yeah, unless you're a super fan and REALLY want an LE, the premium is an option down the road.

5 months later
#1406 7 years ago

Even more solid in my opinion now...Ghostbusters is a far better game than The Hobbit. It's not even close.

#1427 7 years ago

31 modes. 31 modes. 31 modes.

31 modes across 4 shots. Super fun!

The Hobbit is garbage wrapped in a shiny art package. I can't think of a more boring game to come out since maybe Transformers. There's no challenge, there's no actual variety (a ton of modes that are all samey is not variety), and there's nothing cool about those ridiculous pop ups and rollover buttons dominating the middle of the playfield. Terrible design.

Keith is doing what he can, but he's coding to a turd layout. Stuffing an average of 47 multiballs into a 3 ball game is proof that he's stretching.

I can't see any moderately skilled players enjoying The Hobbit long term without getting bored.

#1434 7 years ago

I have played The Hobbit a lot. And among the people I know that play lots of pinball, very few enjoy it. I've played it on early code, I've played it on the newest code. It's just boring. Easy shots, samey shots, annoying drops that sound like a ratchet set, and modes with questionable variety.

Yeah, the same shots do different things at different times, but they're the same old boring shots.

Modes that have you bashing on pop ups shouldn't even be counted in the mode total. YOU DO THAT NONSTOP ANYWAY.

It's a decent location machine, but just so pedestrian as a long term prospect. 45 minute games with 20 multiballs.

#1471 7 years ago

Man, if my 4-year old can pass a mode or two (and he can), then any adult should AT LEAST be able to pass a ladder and experience a multiball or two without too much trouble.

GB is hard, but it's really not unfair. If anything, I'm happy to find a game that has additional unpredictability in it. There's so much more tension and satisfaction for making big shots when you're playing a game that is always a second from a drain. Use your two warnings every ball, get work done during the ball saver, and be deliberate in your shots (flailing is bad!), and you'll see lots of great stuff in Ghostbusters. Yeah, some games will see you bomb out at 60 million, but that just makes the bigger games so much more satisfying.

Contrast that to games coming out far too often that make multiball extremely easy to achieve, throwaway modes, and super long ball times...Ghostbusters is a VERY welcome change of pace. The shots feel wonderful on the game, and they make the modes a thrill.

#1473 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

GB's fatal flaw is that it's so finicky that it's rare to find one on location that isn't nearly impossible to play for some reason or another. It's probably fine at home where you can constantly keep it in sterling condition but it's horrible in an arcade when the left scoop is firing the ball STDM and the return gate on the orbit is stuck up and Slimer isn't registering. At that point you're just donating your quarters.

Yeah, unless you have a very dedicated operator, the build quality kind of bites you in the butt on GB.

#1475 7 years ago

Out of the box, my GBLE wasn't playable. Broken switches, a bent scoop, a broken opto, Scoleri's adjusted poorly, and a whole other list of issues made me put a good 10 hours into working on the game before I could actually enjoy it. But man, once I did...the game is spectacular.

#1478 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've bought and tweaked plenty of NIB games...at these prices, I'm just not willing to do it anymore. Hopefully one day I'll play a GB that doesn't play like dogshit, have droopy flippers or a stupid gap of doom...but I'll still hate the linear modes, horrible ESP video mode & lack of humor/callouts during gameplay. Maybe in 10 years someone will pull a BOP 2.0 on it lol...

I hear you, man. I can't argue with that. I ran out of patience and I'm out of the Stern NIB game as well. Still can't answer to myself why I have a Dialed In on preorder...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.