(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Not sure. I think it is reasonable.

The reason its kinda foolish is that GB's was clearly going to be the winner and the results thus far have proven that fact so it could come across as JJP bashing, I just had a chance to play TH and while fun its not going to appeal to the mass audience, GB's will crush it in terms of sales, gameplay and all that in strictly relative to the player, I lean towards fast and furious style and TH just isn't that type of pin but that doesn't mean its bad, if you loved WOZ then I think its safe to say you will be happy with TH, it does look amazing but thats not enough for me.

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

2: Color DMD dots in Metallica are the best DMD dots but are nothing against HD LCD video animations in the Hobbit. GoT is just a pixel mess, no color dmd can help here.

Least important aspect to pinball is the display. I've played TH and its what it should be a JJP style game however it lacks the speed and flow of Stern as does WOZ, JMO mind you as for GB's being old news in even a year from now I really doubt that.

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

"A great pinball game with a great display is always better than a great pinball game with a not so great display"
-Frankmac
Read it out loud and see if you agree or disagree?

What? The point is that I didn't care for the TH's gameplay and thusly not buying one simply due to a nice display but the GOT pro for me anyway plays great and while the display and animations aren't there I would still take it over TH, I'll always take gameplay over art, display etc. but who wouldn't want both? Maybe you need to read that out loud and agree or disagree.

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

All I am saying is if you have a great game it would always be better with a great display.
Any new pin with a DMD would benefit from a large HD display. Imagine ghostsbusters (properly done) with a 27in display it would be fantastic. If a game is a 10 with a DMD it would be a 10+ with a awesome screen.
My 0.02 cents

Ok, am I being punked or something, lets assume you dislike TH, gameplay and theme do nothing for ya and GB's gameplay and theme are the cats pajamas then which pin would you buy? I understand it would be better with a nice large LCD but its not the reason I would or would not buy a pinball machine. I doubt anyone would buy a game based on the display but lets agree that a pin which is great would be even better with a nicer display, I mean we aren't ready for this show are we?

half-wits-hero_(resized).jpghalf-wits-hero_(resized).jpg

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

If you want to have a game to compete with others. You need fair rules and funny toys, the theme and the show don't matter.

For me theme is very very important especially to longevity, If TH was based on Blade Runner or GB's on lets say Running Man or Total Recall then they would be must haves for me, I had an AC/DC Luci and Met Pre both were fun games but didn't last long due to the fact that I'm not really into those bands, however if it had been Slayer and Motorhead I would still have them, WOZ will never be in my home due to theme, I play it on location but no desire to add it to the collection, LCD will become standard across the board but like I said before it will only add to a game that already has great gameplay but will never save a game the flips poorly, theme is the only factor that might cause one to keep a game that isn't exactly top notch player, I feel TH falls into this category, as does Kiss and several others. JMO

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I like icing on my cupcakes. Cupcakes without the icing are good too, but not as good as they are with icing. Just sayin'.

What if the main ingredient in the cup cakes is shit? All the icing in the world won't help.

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

What if the cupcakes are made of shit??? Ok, I guess the discussion is complete.

It certainly should be, if you don't like a pin for theme or gameplay etc. then the display will not save it, why is this so difficult to understand. I am enjoying all the analogies mind you, I'm not a fanboy of any manufacturer by the way, make a good pin with a theme I like and I'll buy it.

#258 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If audio carries more weight than the LCD then JJP has knocked it out of the park with TH versus anything else out there.

Yeah but it still all comes down to what the source material is, no interest in Hobbit movie outtakes and voiceovers would much rather have mono fuzzy clips of Blade Runner or StarWars so once again its only as good as the theme and gameplay, even sound can't save a pin, just sayin Ice. It seems to me that alot of people are trying to make excuses for what is starting to look like a bit of a let down.

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

On the flip side, if you do like the theme, the display will greatly increase the enjoyment. I couldn't care less about Woz but I still loved the hell out of seeing the scarecrow dance loop on the insert coin screen or the witch flying at me when I drained. Got and GB have beautiful source material to pull from. They could have had incredible animations and clips during game play that sure, might not be seen by the current player all the time but would draw the attention of anyone else in the room. Instead they have dots. Which, I agree, do the job, but why not go for something that looks better. Why not the actual clips?!
An example that stood out on twitch was the "who brought the dog?" mode.
/beating a dead horse.

Nope I can't do it again, you are correct sir.

buscemi-wtf_(resized).pngbuscemi-wtf_(resized).png

#287 8 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

I am not trying to sell you on The Hobbit, or even Woz, but rather on the idea of stern stepping up their game. Will the DMD ruin Ghostbusters? No. Would an lcd or even Color dots have made it much better? I think so.
Also, not sure if I am getting the reference to Fargo.

The Fargo reference is that of confusion, who wouldn't want a nicer display? I would and so would you and everyone else but it kept coming up like I'm saying give me the worst display you can please, one more time, I would rather have GB's with the DMD than Hobbit with LCD due to theme and from what I've seen thus far gameplay (yet to play GB's but TH wasn't my style) would I like GB's to have a nice 27" HD display, well certainly. Really no way to rebut this and yet its been attempted, hence the confusion. I'm such a dick.

o-SENIOR-TECHNOLOGY-CONFUSED-facebook_(resized).jpgo-SENIOR-TECHNOLOGY-CONFUSED-facebook_(resized).jpg

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

My concern about the slings isn't if they don't play like normal slings, they won't, that's the point! But my concern is that they'll keep the ball away from the flippers Moreso than regular slings.

really looking forward to how this works, might have been posted already but is there any news on when we might see a Pre/LE in action?

2 weeks later
#501 8 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

No stern is going to feel as solid as a jjp.

You mean all 2 of them? I owned many Sterns and very few issues but yeah they have a different feel than JJP or B/W's etc. who really cares, gameplay is what I'm concerned about and would much rather have a less solid feeling constructed pin thats fun than a really solid peice of crap, not saying the entire 2 pin JJP line up isn't fun but for me at least I haven't gotten anywhere near the experience I have from Stern pins, not too mention trading some build quality for 3 or 4 pins a year, sorry but it had to be said, like everything JJP it should be more solid after 4 years.

1 week later
#600 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

But have fun with your GB pin with overly linear mode progression, cheap drains, and that old fashioned display with crappy captures from the movie.

Whoa, someone has their big boy pants on today.

maxresdefault_(resized).jpgmaxresdefault_(resized).jpg

#733 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Hobbit:
obviously beautiful and best sound of any pinball ever.

Tx sector is the coolest sound pin ever made by far, but TH isn't bad.

1 week later
#926 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've yet to play GB and only played TH a few minutes. At this point, I can't decide. But simply put (IMO) Stern should put full color changing inserts on their LE and premium pins.

Id love to know how much extra it costs to have all the inserts produce full color change, In my opinion even the pro's should have this, I guess it might be expensive, I just can't see it costing hundreds of dollars more for this feature, still even if it did I would rather that than an expensive display.

1 week later
#1151 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Walk away frustrated with GB after 10 min, walk away smiling with TH after 45 min. Think about if that is true when you play both at the same event. ... Be truthful.

I'm sorry but for me I'll play GB's for 45 min and want to keep playing because its kicking my ass, 10 min and I was bored playing TH, these 2 games should be in a VS match, IM, ST or GOT are good for GB's, some pinsiders really like the gameplay on TH but even in these videos guys are posting to show the apparent speed thats capable with in house set up I get bored watching it, I hope someone I know gets a Hobbit and I get some real time on it with a nice steep set up, maybe it will click, for now its not at all. I'm not against an adventure type game either and really love LOTR's so its something else, layout? Theme? maybe, I want to like it.

#1160 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Smaug is very cool, extremely detailed, and has a wide range of movement and lighting effects.

Sure he does left and then right aswell. sorry couldn't help myself.

1 month later
#1246 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

JJP games are solid for sure.. It is a heavy/solid feel to them...

I agree but that's not really important to me, I don't want it to be junk but I'll base the fun of a pin on sound and layout and gameplay way before I consider solidity. I've had many Stern LE's and several pros, build quality is just fine, Now I have I to check if solidity is really a word.

#1250 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

The Stern LE's are just armor and a few extra doodads on the playfield but none of that changes the overall feeling of the game/materials.

Again, so what? I really haven't heard many complaints regarding Stern's build quality and its not like the pins are falling apart, sorry but I just don't understand why this is important, JJP better release a solid fun pin if its taking 3 to 4 years to produce, who would try 2 pins then say well I found #1 to be damn fun and #2 kinda boring but it felt solid so thats the one I'm gonna buy? come on.

#1269 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Feel has a TREMENDOUS amount to do with the experience in my eyes. It's why you buy one car over another for example. Even at equal price point, something about that car just feels "right". It absolutely matters. If something "feels" cheap, then perception is reality. I don't buy american cars because they "feel" cheap. Not that they necessarily are and have the same price point as some japanese and german cars but i'm still not buying it. It's one component of the experience that can't be written off.

Ok, I don't mind at all the way the Stern pins feel, not sure how the car analogy applies here? but I will ask you this, if you love one pin and really kinda dislike the other then would you still buy the disliked pin because its built better, I'm not arguing that the B/W and JJP games are built better, more solid and all that but Tron, IM, TWD, ST, GOT etc. are fun pins and for me thus far anyway I haven't enjoyed either JJP games and I'm not going to buy them based on there build quality, its all about gameplay but I would prefer a solidly built car as it contains my personal body and I like being alive. What a battle of wits we have going on here.

half-wits-hero_(resized).jpghalf-wits-hero_(resized).jpg

#1287 7 years ago

He strawed me first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 25.50
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=hazoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.