(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falconpunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#364 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Pretty sure most of the time they will attempt to replicate how a coil sling works - each sling has a sling switch which I'm assuming will activate the magnet and throw it into the rubber making it bounce off.
But they will also use the magnets to behave differently in different modes. Because they have 2 magnets next to each other they can gain a lot more control over the ball, not just randomize it or trap it. They may not even use them to randomize at all, being so close to the flippers.
I guess we'll find out soon enough - can't wait for gameplay footage of the LE.

When do we get to see?

I have never seen super accurate magnet play before. Even on MET and TWD newish games. When sparky/Prison grabs the ball for the start of multiball it can often let it go STDM. Of course it doesn't matter as you get it straight back but its a big step to go from that magnetic slings.

3 weeks later
#617 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Almost everyone that's played GB has commented positively on how fun the game is.
Almost everyone who has something positive to say about TH talks about how fun they HOPE it MAY BE..... In the future.
If people can't see that HUGE difference.... then no amount of logical discussion will change their minds.

Kiss was a really fun game too the first 20 times I played it. Literally bought it 5 games before I got sick of it and realised there is no substance.
I think both pins are trying to achieve different things. GB looks like instant fun, like kiss, but does it have the legs to stay in a collection and provide years of fun? Check back in a year!

The hobbit is already fun IMO but everyone knows what Keith is capable, and licking their lips over the potential.
IMO Dwight doesn't have a 'masterpiece' pin yet like lyman and Keith do. GOT is great, again... Check back in a year.

Of course it's all up to the owner! Ironman to me doesn't have much substance for a long term pin but people love it and keep it in their collection. So like others have said... Just play both enough to make up your own mind.

#620 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But it can provide pinball satisfaction in less than 3 minutes. No other game I own provides so much so brutally fast. And then it breaks your heart.

Tron? + 2 minutes, more satisfaction and no heartbreak

1 week later
#787 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

having them side by side really shows you how dark WoZ really is. It's hard to see anything on that game if you dont' have good room lighting.

Always hear this. Always play woz in a room with zero natural light and play with the room lights off. No issues seeing the ball.

#791 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

WOZ was illuminated poorly.

I never said it wasn't
I'm just saying I can see the ball fine with no lights in the room, even in 'lights off' 2x mode.

#828 7 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

would at least need stronger flippers for me to get to the point where code would matter

You do realise that you can adjust the flipper strength in the settings so high that the ball would smash everything to pieces?

It's their fault for putting the default settings too low but it's up to the operator to set up the game right.

#862 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Agree. Theres nearly zero "buzz" around TH. ESPECIALLY from those not already emotionally tied to one with a pre-order.
Stern releasing a very well-done game at the same time certainly didn't help...

I don't think any company could maintain a 3 year buzz for a pinball. Does everyone really think that people would be raving about GB if it was announced in 2012 and just coming out now?

#919 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Is there any new videos of the Hobbit play?

Latest firmware from 2 x Pinsiders
Big differences already and only 5 weeks between updates.

and

#932 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Eventually the cost cutting is going to bite them in the ass. Might as well not even offer powder coated armor on the next LE and see if people will still bite. Just make the cabinet artwork package the only real difference and charge $1500 more for it...

If they really own 98 percent of market I don't think they are going to get bit in the ass anytime soon. Star wars will sell like crazy regardless. Let's see what they try and get away with there.

It's weird though because they included a shaker motor in there. Shaker costs less than inserts I guess because the inserts need a lot f coding work too

#1015 7 years ago

Seems like peoples opinions are changing pretty quickly.

#1090 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

TH is not a bad game, and will improve over time, but I'm not expecting it to be viewed as one of pinball's greats years down the road. I do think Ghostbusters will be, however.

Keith's legacy is TSPP, LOTR and WoZ. All because of the code. I think the reverse.

#1162 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hey thats two more directions then Sterns interactive Gene Simmons Kiss head! Mouth on Smaug moves as well, eyes light up, etc.

I hope by the time my Hobbit ships the factory would have fixed the Smaug issues and make it more like Gene. The more SDTM that you can do nothing about, the better. Brutal pins, yeaaaaahhhhh!!!

2 months later
#1359 7 years ago

Hobbit has new 1.30p Beta code
Ghostbusters last update was over 60 days ago, so not sure what you are talking about.

#1361 7 years ago

The they totally different games. I think I've played about 50 games on each but understand the hobbit software more because ive watched more footage online. Will talk more about hobbit since its the one being updated from its base firmware

GB is a short game

Hobbit is possibly the longest game out there (in terms of how long it would take you to do everything in a game without repeating yourself). I really don't think you could do it all in 1 hour.

GB has 9 main modes, Hobbit has 31 main modes.
GB modes need to be played sequentially in 3 tiers - Hobbits can be played in any order as long as you qualify them. You can also choose them while the the ball is on the left ramp before it hits the inlane switch.

GB has 2 Multiballs I know about, i am guessing 1 of the wizards I havent seen like Are you god is a multiball
Hobbit has 4 currently, a 3 ball, 2 ball and 2 x 5 ball. 2 more planned. You can also lock a ball for MODE multiball. which means all 31 modes can be a multiball if you want. So its almost like 31 more multiballs but the objectives in the mode are exactly the same - you just have more than 1 ball to do it with.

I dunno, I will stop there.
The pins are both so different someone could have just these 2 pinballs in their house and it would satisfy both your long and short game needs. There is no need to take sides and this thread has been pretty silly from the start!

6 months later
#1408 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Ghostbusters vs Hobbit almost a year later and I wonder if anyone has a different opinion on these games at this point?

Press reset and start another thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 49.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falconpunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=falconpunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.