(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 8 years ago

You won't get a more on the fence review than this but I try to say it how it is:

Art: these pins easily take the #1 and #2 spots of all time for their art package. Nothing comes close. I give a slight edge to GB for ZY's amazing hand drawn art.

Display: no question, TH. I wasn't a big fan of WOZ's display when it first came out, but something jjp did or learned made TH's display the best ever.

Theme: this could go either way. I wasn't a big fan of the hobbit movie, but I still like it and will play it in the background as I do other tasks. GB is a classic in all forms. That said, JJP did an excellent job of integrating the hobbit theme. They captured all the excitement from the movies and packed it into the pin with splendid choreography. I give TH the nod for actual theme integration.

Gameplay/Layout: EDIT - I haven't played GB so basing this on reviews and videos END EDIT -gotta give the nod to GB. Faster action, more exciting shots, etc... TH surprised me, I didn't care too much for it in the first few games, but as I learned rules and what was happening, I got sucked in.

Rules/code: this is a wash as both games are in beta. But this category will make or break both of these pins. GB has shown us that JJP can no longer rely on good looks anymore. And WOZ has shown us that Keefer is still the man. But, will Keefer and JJP dedicate that much time to hobbit? Or will they pull a kiss/avengers/stern move and abandon this to move onto pin#3. I'm afraid they may abandon this one cause it's still in beta!?! How/why? I have a feeling JJP can't wait to move past TH after all the drama it's been through. On the flip side, Dwight is programming 2 pins simultaneously, will stern relax his deadlines to give GB enough satisfactory attention? Will the modes end up being as linear as they appear? I give the nod to GB for first time 'casual' play aka short term playability. I give the nod to TH for long term 'the Keefer factor' deep gameplay.

Overall summary: there's something special going on in the hobbit package, and if Keefer and team dedicate code to it like WOZ, it will ultimately outbeat GB as far as overall complete package. That said, at this stage of the game, Dwight is on fire, stern is on fire, the unknowns have to favor GB as stern has been doing business better, faster, and more productive especially over the past 6 mos. GB gets my nod for now, but all it takes is some magic from Keefer and a big code update to sway the pendelum the other way. And if JJP puts the code effort in on hobbit like they did WOZ but in a much faster pace, it will change the game dramatically for not only TH, but JJPs #3 pin.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

All the code in the world isn't going to make Hobbit better than GB. The game is simply boring to shoot. You can't fix that with code or a large LCD screen. It's fundamentally flawed from its initial playfield design.

Disagree.

Code fixed WOZ's design and became highly desirable among many advanced players. Same with TWD. Lyman single handedly saved that game.

And TH is fun to shoot, at least the one I played. Ramps felt good, loops and spinners great, the pop ups were fun to shoot (best pop ups ever in a pin), drops aren't that desirable in any pin without good code, the list goes on.

Code makes games! Look at kiss, fun to shoot but is a complete dud. TWD, not a fan favorite layout but became a hit once Lyman finished it. But if code isn't important then I imagine hitting the left ramp 20 times like Keith Elwin did on GB PRO to get good scores is what you like, then have at it. Might as well get an earth shaker while you're at it so you have a right ramp to hit repeatedly over and over to match.

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

It is.
Hobbit is a wide body pin, so it will play a bit slower than Stern pins in general, but that doesn't mean that it is "slow and floaty" if set up correctly. I have played Hobbit, and one I played didn't have enough elevation and yes, it was a bit floaty at times. But the shots are super smooth and satisfying.
Look at this video and tell me Hobbit is slow and floaty. It's not.
» YouTube video
I love what I'm seeing with GB too. I just recently placed an order for Hobbit, and I plan on buying GB too, just a matter of whether it will be a premium or pro. I want to see video of the LE before making a decision. GB will probably play faster than Hobbit, but I don't need every one of my pins to play super fast either. A wide body pin will be a nice change of pace!

This video is amazing and give mad props to the guys that did it and the kid that plays, he's good!

This is how I remember TH playing when I played it.

#221 8 years ago

The jjp displays can be a bit overwhelming and intimidating at first. I admit, I wasn't a fan one bit of the WOZ screen at first. But have you seen one of your friends or guests, or even yourselves for that matter, follow what's happening on a dmd? It takes more than a game or two to follow the choreography and concept of the pin. I was blown away by TH's display in person, they did a fantastic job all the way around with it. And it didn't take long to understand what each portion of the screen represented.

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Perhaps I am wrong in this hobby. Sure I like to play pinball games with a few friends for fun to compete about the next beer round. There is no pinball game that can't produce this kind of fun when it has short playtimes and fair rules. You just need a display for the score. But when I buy a game for home use. I want to play it alone. And I don't play it to beat my own highscore. There are tactics when I play against otheres that I would never use at home. Why should I play "Hells Bells" over and over again on my AC/DC when I want to just have fun? I play the other songs and want to reach the final mode. For some people everything that distracts them from the goal to get the next highscore could be taken out of the game.
Not for me! I like the flashing lights on GoT. I like loud music and callouts and I want the best show possible on my games. Because when I start a game I want to be captured by the theme and the world under the glas. When I play GoT, I don't want to beat my highscore, I want to see "Iron Throne". When I play AC/DC or Metallica I want to have the feeling that I am on a rock concert. And a LCD Monitor with high res animations, can help to deliver this kind of show. From my early youth on, pinball games were something special for me. My grandpa had a Bally Lost World in his pub. And it was way more than just a game for me. The artwork was a journey into a fantasy world. Now as an adult, my ability for fantasy is not the same as it was as a child. It is harder to be sucked into a game. The show has to be better. Other games than pinball can deliver better forms of competition but there is something about pinball games I can only describe as magic. And Keith is a magician he can bring worlds to life, he can tell stories with his games. LCD has way more potential to do this. So I think it's a very simple thing I want to say. If you want to have a game to compete with others. You need fair rules and funny toys, the theme and the show don't matter. But if you can understand what I mean with the magic I decribed above. Than LCD is the next important step. That's why this is more important for some of us than for the others.

Nailed it

#327 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

My question is:
Where are the rave reviews from new TH owners? I really expected a FLOOD of threads with folks sharing their experience playing the news games that started arriving last week.
I saw one weak excuse for the lack of positive reviews- something like TH has been revealed so much over the past couple years that we shouldn't expect the "new pin excitement" now when they arrive.
i think thats BS.
I could make the case for the exact OPPOSITE: that there is SOOO much excitement form people after being forced to wait 3-4 years for this game that they are over-the-top excited to get it in their house!
So whats the deal?
My experience playing in on location was decidedly "looks beautiful, but playing it is ho-hum", I wonder if thats not the current prevailing opinion?
Is everyone just going to do a "hail mary" for "really good code will fix this"?

First off, only a handful of collectors have opened theirs, distributors and ops seem to be getting this first wave of games.

Second, here's a review for you:
I played a well setup hobbit at a distributors open house pin party. Like most reviews, it was absolutely stunning in person. My first few games were 'meh' - wide open pf, nothing to shoot, yada yada yada just like all the other reviews.

As I watched people play, I started analyzing the display and figuring out the rules. By game 4 it started clicking, and I started having fun. By game 8, I couldn't get enough. By game 10 I had a deposit in with the distributor...ok that's kind of a lie, I said I'd put money down if I can have it next week which was obviously a no. But I was ready to throw down right then and there.

Here's what I liked about the pin:
First off, sound and display are amazing. The cool lighting effects were top notch. But let's talk gameplay and layout since that's where all the hate is spawned from. I was first taken back by the layout like all the other reviews, but as I played more, I started getting an understanding of the layout. Now granted this is based off a dozen plays. But it's not a game about ramps like we're accustomed to with most sterns. But the ramps were fun to shoot. The U turn was not fun, I think some clever code can make it more intriguing. The orbits and spinners were an absolute blast. I had a couple games where I'd loop the left orbit then upper right flipper into the VUK behind the drops. Fun shot, but no reward for it left me puzzled, again clever code needed to make that a fun shot - maybe keep the D drop up then when the code registers that loop shot the W drop falls and lights a jackpot shot of some sort. Hitting the orcs were fun and felt way better than the MM trolls, NGG gophers, and XMEN NC.

The ball return had lots of action at the flippers and didn't feel floaty at all. Ramp shots were fun, orbits were a blast. Hitting drops were decent and ball returns from those shots felt good. Orcs were a blast and I enjoyed hitting them and knowing when they were gonna pop up so I can either go for them or prepare an alternate shot (orbits, drops, etc...). Being able to alternate from locking a ball to starting a mode for extra bonus was very cool but needed more code.

Cons:
Wind lance Outland inconsistency. 1 out of 5 times hitting the button to launch from the wind lance caused a drain.
Weak plunger.
CODE! Code is absolutely not acceptable after 40 mos of production. It was fabulous what they have at this beta point but code is way behind and that is really my only concern for this pin at this point.

Summary: I'm leaning towards a GB PRO. But if I'm gonna spend $6500+ on a pin (GB PREM?) I'd rather fork over the extra to get a hobbit - granted we see an extremely deep code update soon.

EDIT:
I'd like to get a review from these guys. This is how the pin looked to play for me. Not sure about the rest of you, but this setup looks FUN!

#328 8 years ago

And here's my review I posted of the hobbit the day after playing it:

*quick disclaimer* I do not have a hobbit on order and have no pony in the race. I don't give a sh*t about the politics of pinball, I just love to play and have fun. That said....
Stopping in to say you hobbit owners have NOTHING to be nervous about. I played about 8-9 games last night and watched several others play. I got to meet Jack and speak with him for a good half hour after playing the game. He's Very nice and a way cool guy. I didn't know what to expect going in. The open pf and appearance of lack of shots had me thinking it was going to be a dud. But to my surprise, this game came together VERY well theme wise; the Orc pop ups were fantastic and fun to shoot, the ramp shots are satisfying, and the two loop shots felt very good to hit.
Here's a rundown of my mini review:
Cons:
- left outlane kickback: several times the kickback failed or didn't even kick or did something other than shooting the ball back into play resulting in an end of ball bonus. This happened several times even at mode starts, but more often in multiball.
- lot of code lacking; including certain mode starts having a meter to time with the ring button but didn't do anything.
- right hole with VUK. Not a very reliable shot, you more have to get lucky to get the ball in there. Perhaps some drop dead ball foam will help?
- the shooter plunger felt weak, extremely weak and loose.
- ramp shots/weak flippers? from cradle or from an inlane feed, hitting the Ramps was very reliable and satisfying. But too many flail on the fly shots resulted in 'U-turn' ramp shots. This wouldn't be so bad if there was code associated to the U-turn. Even a cool sound effect and randomizing the book pages or something would suffice.
- we got one ball stuck under a pop up orc the whole night and a ball search wouldn't free it. Plus, one of the pop up orcs wasn't sitting exactly flush on the pf. Some concern, but definitely not a deal breaker and a few adjustments could probably fix.
All in all, my cons list can, for the most part, be corrected by code so it's not all that concerning. Now for the good:
- it's a visual orgasm. The animations and choreography are over the top amazing. The use of the jjp staple display is used much nicer than WOZ. It just looks and feels right.
- the pf art and lighting is amazing.
- gameplay: I was concerned at first for the wide open pf. But the 4 Orc pop ups are beautifully coded and integrated well. They were fun to hit, and felt good. The ramp shots felt satisfying, especially the right, probably cause it was a more critical shot; but whet felt better to shoot were the two loop shots with spinners. Good stuff. The right flipper didn't feel to serve much of a purpose but once I did loop the left orbit to right flipper to the VUK behind the drops. So I'm thinking some clever code can make a shot like that a huge super mega orgasmic jackpot of some sort. Overall, I Was a bit hesitant at first with the open wide body layout, but in the end it was fun and satisfying to shoot.
- ring button: some awesome uses with the button. You can select your skill shot and get different awards or advantages by making that specific skill shot. You can also use the ring button to toggle from bypassing a locked ball shot to starting a mode instead. There was also other uses like backstabbing orcs, though I never figured out how to utilize this option.
- it was difficult at first to figure out how to light, start, shuffle modes. But once I understood that, it was very satisfying. And the digital Bilbo book above the pops is amazing! It clearly indicates what to shoot for on the mode your on. It was very cool.
- the modes themselves were simple, short, diverse, and effective. I didn't notice too many stacking possibilities other than being able to start modes while in multiball. Hopefully code will address that in some sort of fashion.
- the drops were very cool. It was tough at times to figure out what rules, if any, were associated with the drops and what advancement in the game they served but there did seem to be some rule of progression associated with it and I started seeing a pattern with them but didn't get enough time to completely figure it out. But all in all, the drops and stand ups felt good to shoot.
Final thoughts:
Smaug seemed goofy and a missed opportunity at first, but he's actually animated and used quite well. His jaw doesn't just move up and down, but slightly side to side giving him a more animated feel. He interacts with the game at times very good.
The game plays different than anything I've played, and it was quite fun. There's potential for very long ball times, but hopefully Keith can find the balance of punishing players while making game advancement smooth, fast, and satisfying.
There's a lot of possibilities for code, and I think that code will bring this good game to a lively fantastic game. Luckily, we know who's behind the console board for code - Keith. And after seeing the WOZ rules, I think code will no doubt be superb.
The game is a looker and a shooter. Fun for all levels it would appear. I would have thrown down the cash right then and there if I could have one in a week or two but obviously that's not an option.
Oh, and beast frenzy is awesome!!!!

#339 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I've got to question the "so little code" comment. The game might not have the polish it needs yet, like Jackpot callouts and more Smaug speech, etc...but it has 31 modes, all with accompanying HD display animations and sounds for every shot hit. A secondary LCD that describes the rules for each mode and additional animations. All the scoring displays and tracking system for the modes.
I would argue that there may already be more code in the Hobbit than any other game to date. And yes, it still needs more to tie everything together and make a fun, cohesive game.

Totally agree with this comment. It's all there, it just needs to be brought in altogether. The polish so to speak.

#350 8 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

14 minute mark... He made the ramp.. Why'd the ball drain?

I read in the hobbit thread that they're making a plastic shield or something that keeps the ball on the wire form as occasionally when it gets diverted to the windlance Outlane when it's not supposed to? That was my understanding of it anyway.

#365 8 years ago

My concern about the slings isn't if they don't play like normal slings, they won't, that's the point! But my concern is that they'll keep the ball away from the flippers Moreso than regular slings.

#372 8 years ago

Did they release new code yet? they posted a facebook factory tour and the very beginning of the video the camera man asks a worker playing GB how he likes the new code.

#387 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Captainneo would disagree...
image_(resized).jpg

So you are manipulating ratings and see yourself as a hero against people manipulating ratings?
Attempts to sway it in both directions are pathetic.
And sure, zeros probably don't show up anymore. That is why most manipulators switched to the proverbial "3" rating. It skews the results better.

IMO, this is worse than anything Kaneda has ever done. Yes, I went there.

#406 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they are not false. that is truely how you feel about a game, but some rate higher because it's the new pussay in their collection, some rate on a game they never even seen, and some rate based upon what they hear from other people, without actually playing it themselves. Hence why the ratings are bullshit and always have been

And some people rate games to try to skew the rankings cause they don't believe someone would actually like a game that much, nor do they expect people to change their rankings or feelings over time so they come in and play mr super hero, but little do they know they're causing more harm than good.

#408 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well all my numbers on the games i dislike, are legit. I really do hate them that much. Anything in my top 10 give good ratings to, but do vote the stars for the categories they have. Things like AC/DC i don't give 5 stars on art, because it doesn't.

Yup. And that's why I don't think any game is a 10; at least I have t come across a perfect 10 pin. Games like CV in no way shape or form deserves 6 stars or even 5 stars for that matter.

#409 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well all my numbers on the games i dislike, are legit. I really do hate them that much. Anything in my top 10 give good ratings to, but do vote the stars for the categories they have. Things like AC/DC i don't give 5 stars on art, because it doesn't.

And fish tales a 1? Really!?

#433 8 years ago

I would typically count one bank of drops as a shot, i.e. TWD drops is one shot, GOT has one shot, ACDC 3 if you count the rock stand ups; but ultimately it depends on how those drops are coded and what they bring to the table. Some pins drops or bank of stand ups are fairly meaningless while others are dependent on the table. In the hobbits case, each drop is individually controlled so if the code utilizes this feature in a magical way, they're could be lots of variety and fun built into each shot. Just like there is with acdc and sometimes having to shoot the Lightning bolt, while other times hitting a different letter, and sometimes trying to hit two at once.

The two best programmers in the biz for taking a pin to the next level and making it a shooters pin is Keefer & Lyman.

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well since it only takes stern about 4 months to get a game out the door, they knew it was damn close. You could tell from the last couple shows, that is was shipping soon.

Except it took them longer than 4 months to come up with the design and concept for GB as Jody explained in a podcast. We consumers usually only see the final stages of production and not everything that goes into it from start to finish.

1 week later
#505 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Tanks are big and heavy, but they are not much fun to drive IMHO

You sure about that bro? Give me a 30 minute lesson on how to drive a tank and I'm pretty certain I'd have one hell of a time driving it

#506 8 years ago

And to add to that; yea, if you jump into a speedy automatic go kart you'll need no lessons and have a blast at the beginning. Jump into a tank without lessons and you'll be dumb founded and bored. But with the right training and over time, a tank will be a blast and crush the opposition.

#531 8 years ago

Sure glad I didn't give up on FGY or LOTR after 6 plays. Those are my 2 favorite Keith games and I hated them the first 20 or so plays and now 2 of my all time favorites. Keith does not do typical cookie cutter code; and what he does offer is a thing of amazement.

#541 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

A little time on a machine is a must before a review. You have to give a game more than 6 plays.

Quoted from frankmac:

A little time on a machine is a must before a review. You have to give a game more than 6 plays.

Aren't most the poll results of this thread based on 6 or less plays?

#568 7 years ago

I really really really want a hobbit; but price is holding me back. I'm still not sold on GB PRO yet. Looks amazing but also looks more brutal and frustrating than TWD.

Until we see GBLE gameplay (and rules), I'd be inclined to say that if I'm not after getting a GB PRO to save $; and I was dipping into premium/LE (+ mods) territory, I'd rather get TH which needs know immediate cash whore mods.

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Until you plunge the ball....

Because after you plunge the ball in hobbit you actually get to play? Vs just plunging and draining on GB? seriously, if good artwork and fast drains makes a great pinball, then JPOP has a masterpiece with magic girl, all he has to do is put it in a cabinet with a plunger - doesn't even need flippers

#723 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

That's the Problem, hype. I love both themes alot. My wife loves the Lotr series and played hobbit at replayfx last year. She loved it and wants me to get that one. I really like TH, and would have gladly bought it, but then GB was released. The hype was overwhelming, and rightfully so. It's a great looking game all around. With the price of the premium and TH, I want to get the right one that will hold our interest longer. GB definitely has a cool playfield, and is probably just flat out fun for everyone. TH though seems to be a nice, easy going game with a great story to advance through, but yeah, I'm slightly worried that playfield and difficult rules could turn some players off. On the flip side, will GB get annoying in home. I just can't decide. Everyone says GB for the most part is the most fun in a while, so yeah, caught up in the hype.

At this early state, I'd say hobbit long term if you plan to own it for 1-2+ years, and GB if you want fast action short term ownership (~6 mos). And based on what you posted, it sounds like hobbit is where you should go, but gb hype is misdirecting your decision.

#783 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Time to play!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

I gotta say, those 2 pins look great next to each other. Congrats!

#813 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The BDK crane is the coolest toy Stern ever built...right there with the ship in POTC.

I'd argue that the buck in BBH is and here's why:
The crane feels better to hit than the buck, but the buck is coded so much better - its a very cool integrared feature. Once you learn the crane sequence, it becomes a pretty dismal toy.

#817 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wow...SM rules are pretty much nirvana. They don't get any better than that!

Finally something Pimp and I agree about on SM

The rules are great. A little repetitive with the villains at times. but modes, spider multipliers, battle royal, super hero, all top notch stuff.

1 week later
#873 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Agreed if we're just talking about "marketing, pre-release kind of buzz"
But TH's are in the wild now.... people are playing them. There's no buzz from folks that are actually playing the game. 3 years to get out the door and they stubbed their toe (again) with qc issues AND, (completely inexplicably) way incomplete code.
I can't imagine theres many people that walk away from playing a TH (right now) saying, "damn, I HAVE to have one of those, where do I order." I've played one quite a bit locally and seen people walk away before they even finish the game.... That's NOT the walk-away experience that leads to success.

I'm *raises hand* this is me; not sure why you consistently preach that no one whos not invested doesnt like this game. Perhaps thats your psycological way of getting people who dont post often to post and get reamed down by the sharks. But ill bite....

I played hobbit for a day at pin party a couple mos ago that Jack attended - probably got 8-10 games in. I was surprisingly blown away. I had a great time on the machine. I'm a rules guy and I could tell people that were playing had no idea what to do except start smaug mb and I don't blame them. As I dissected what was going on with the code, and figuring out shots - I fell in love with the game. I think it's awesome and something special. But I do agree the code needs more, the trolls need to be fixed, and that wire form ramp needs to be fixed...all of which are coming and I think those 3 items will put hobbit back on the map.

There's plenty of flipper action in this pin and a lot of technical 'make you think ' shots.

When I was done, I told the distributor I'll give you $8500 right now if I can have the game next week. He couldn't make those arrangements. I've since spent the $ elsewhere (not pinball), and will look to revisit purchasing a hobbit again when my wallet seems fit. But if I had $8k to spend on either hobbit or GBLE, I'd go hobbit. Now if it were GB PREM + the extra cash, I'd go GB PREM. $8k is just too dam much for a pinball machine for me. Even the premiums are stretching the limits now too as they creep into the 7k range.

#876 7 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Watching some of these GB videos...what a drain monster. What's the point of deep code if you are never going to get a chance to see the end? Kind of a waist of programming effort...
...Unless the code is built something like "finish 5 of the possible 30 modes" to get to one wizard mode...then that would give multiple paths to achieve an ending and keep games fresh...

I believe the code is like that. Each ladder has its own wizard mode.

#880 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

And yet, you DIDNT buy/order the game, so while you may be disagreeing with my assumption, you certainly are supporting it with your actions....
My point was simple:
I've heard of few people that after PLAYING the game, have fallen in love with it.
btw, that in no way makes it unique in the pinball world... I don't recall hearing very many love-at-first-sight stories about Stern WWE or Mustang either, so it's a simple observation- not an indictment.

Thought you wanted to here from people that had no pony in the race. I guess I have no idea what you're saying anymore, carry on...

2 weeks later
#1174 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's not LOTR ball times...it's more like SM with opened outlanes. I haven't opened Hobbit's up yet, but that would make it tougher. Good games last 15-20 mins, bad games can be over in less than a minute.

I agree with this. And something else a lot of pinsiders forget to realize is that Keith's rules/code is not meant so that the player sees every aspect of every mode, multiball, show, etc... Every game. His rules are designed so that each and every game is different from the next. We've seen this with lotr, woz, tspp, and now hobbit. Of course there will be that one magical game where you see 90% or more of the game, but if you set the game up easy for 45 minute games then yea, you'll have yourself a long ball Time game that may get repetitive and old after a period.

Stern games on the other hand are designed so that you play all the modes 2 or 3 times in just one game. Lyman's code however, if you notice, avoids this aspect for the most part though; coincidence? I think not. Two best programmers in the biz understand the importance of avoiding mode redundancy.

That said, it's a good thing Dwight came on board for stern to help non Lyman coded games. While GOT seems like a mode based game on the surface that may have the player playing the same modes each game; to me, the way he did the rules is not for it to be a mode based game but rather a multiball mode based game where each time you play a multiball will be different from the next one next time you hit start. Not to mention the house modes have very diversified scoring strategies that aren't seen in many other sterns except maybe Twd.

So with all that said, it'll be interesting how GB ends up fitting into the mix of its modes with Dwight behind the control board. Seems great so far.

1 month later
#1254 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Agreed the games definitely need to be fun! But there is a difference and build quality. I cannot speak for the premiums or the LE sterns at this point but there is a difference between a JJP standard and a Stern pros overall feel for sure.

The difference being my bank account

#1291 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not Spike's fault, but some of the recent Stern decisions are backwards moving. Relocation of the power button, head bolts, moving the service outlet, and other little things like that irk me. I hope Spike can start moving things forward in a way to offset this other stuff.

If anyone's ever had a toddler they know the new power button location is WONDERFUL!! Those who don't like it need to suck it up. It's a great location.

Lockbar latches give the bar an overall better solid fit and feel.

Head bolts, while slightly more of a pain, are 10X more secure and worry free of any heads coming crashing down.

My only complaint about spike is the noisy fan but that's minor and doesn't bug me enough to go out and rig a replacement.

#1297 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You do know that JJP has sent out replacements and plans on sending out more, right? Same with the left wireform.

I'm not for or against either product. Actually I like them both so I guess I'm for them both. Anyway, I hope stern sends out fixes for the pros that have faulty slimers or orbit fixes for the GOTLE owners that have suffered head wounds of head banging. Just saying....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 103.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 25.50
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.