(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

display really means dick in the grand scheme of things. System 11 games are awesome and they only have alphanumerics. would it be better with a DMD or LCD? Not all that much. Gameplay and rules will still be just as good. Half of the animations on a DMD get missed and you only see it when someone else is playing. Until a month ago, I didn't know there were clowns in the multiball of tommy. I had that game for 5 years. DMD's you have to wait for the info to show up you want, and JJP's LCD's area clusterfuck of confusion. I still don't know what the hell i'm looking at, or what is what. If that's what LCD's are going to continue to be, then they can shove them up their ass. I'll stick with dmd or alphanumeric.

I've grown tired of this argument. Displays mean much more than just "dick". Your point comes down to the fact that a System 11 game got by fine with alphanumeric displays. And they did. But I just raised my head and saw the closest game to me, 4 Square. An EM from the 70s (great game). Right next to it is Game Of Thrones. GoT would be destroyed by the display of 4 Square. They don't use it as just score keeping, it is the coveyance of all the information in the game. The DMD tells me how to advance through the game, because games are MUCH more complex now. It's just stupid and shortsighted to think an older display tech is as good.

That was all carried forward by WOZ. No, it didn't need to be that big, but it is. And it always had information about the status of my game as I played. The LCD in it was revolutionary. Not for the tech or the assets, but in all the information it showed you at all times. 4 score reels just can't do that.

I know I'm not changing anyone's mind here, but it is crazy that in 2016 games don't have an LCD showing the status of everything. I'd have loved if GoT had conveyed as much status as the older WOZ did. And have you see the status counters on Tron? Pitiful, one line of the DMD broken into 3 bars.

I'd like better.

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

All that nebulous, split screen stuff JJP uses is not the right direction and takes the fun out of it for me.

Like I said, I'm not convincing anyone to change their mind here.

However, are you really making the argument that WOZ and Hobbit display too much information all the time? I find it odd that you have owned a game for years, but can't be bothered to learn how to read the display.

Quoted from John_I:

The color display on TBL and Full Throttle are much more what I want to see on a pinball machine than the overly complex mess that is on WOZ or The Hobbit.

Again, if you couldn't be bothered to learn what is being shown currently, why would I listen to you spouting the direction the industry should go? It makes you sound intentionally uninformed.

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What if the main ingredient in the cup cakes is shit? All the icing in the world won't help.

What if the cupcakes are made of shit??? Ok, I guess the discussion is complete.

#378 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

and the ratings are useless. Many of those votes are all people jacked up on hype for a game that is about to come out. Votes made before anyone even played it. The others are people trying to jack up their own games and some are trying to set an artificial value on a game they are trying to sell. Point is, I bet at least half of the votes on most games, are bullshit. So top 10 , 20 or whatever, doesn't mean shit.

I agree. They are just opinion...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#386 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

There's no such thing as a 10 in the pinball world either.

Captainneo would disagree...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well you have to offset the fan boys who claim them as 10's which also skews it. There's no such thing as a 10 in the pinball world either. It's only pathetic when it's negative? So obvious attempts to sway it the other way are not pathetic? I stand behind those ratings. I do not like those games for a reason. Where is my Xfiles and SF2 rating? They should be lower than Shit tales. maybe they didn't show up because they were a 0.

So you are manipulating ratings and see yourself as a hero against people manipulating ratings?

Attempts to sway it in both directions are pathetic.

And sure, zeros probably don't show up anymore. That is why most manipulators switched to the proverbial "3" rating. It skews the results better.

#413 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well all my numbers on the games i dislike, are legit. I really do hate them that much. Anything in my top 10 give good ratings to, but do vote the stars for the categories they have. Things like AC/DC i don't give 5 stars on art, because it doesn't.

I'm a little surprised you're trying to defend your manipulation as truth. I get it, you're opinionated. That's fine. But your actions are what destroys the ratings. You compound the problem while standing defiant. Sometimes it's best just to admit you're wrong.

#427 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

fine, get everyone else to change their ratings to realistic ratings and i'll change mine.

But then you go on say yours were all justified?

Your ratings are obviously bullcrap designed to manipulate the final rating. Sometimes you admit it but then go on to defend it as fact.

I guess I'll drop it with that. Feel free to get that last word in, as I'm sure you need to.

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

It figures that I would answer this ... he is referring to the statistical median, which would effectively eliminate the effect of outliers on the rating.

Thank goodness there is a Statsdoc in the house!

The problem is that people still try and game the system. If someone like (insert manipulative user) wants to manipulate the ratings and the formula gets changed, they simply look for the new edge that still does the most damage. When people were suggesting getting rid of bogus "1" ratings, "3" became the new one.

Ratings tend to get watered down in the face of intentional manipulation. Statistics can help, but in the end intentional manipulation still skews any results making them less reliable.

#441 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Nothing like a statistician to kill conversation.

Not at all. I have always found statistics to be fascinating. Unfortunately in some conditions, they become worthless. IPDB has the exact same issue with ratings. That is why the numbers should just be removed. Back on IPDB if I was looking at a machine I ignored it's ratings, and just went and read the comments. You can learn a lot about a game reading them. Agendas become obvious in the text, and some people write insightful things about the game. They text is always more valuable on the less "politicized" games. You can't get much truth on any new Stern or JJP game anymore.

Then again, you probably can't get all that much truth on stuff that is years old... It is a shame really. I act like this is a new problem, but it has been going on as long as their have been ratings systems.

#458 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Anyway, the question is this: If The Hobbit flops, is JJP done, or do they have enough financial backing to press on?

I'd think they could carry on. I don't think the investors would have put their money in if it was so close that one flop would sink it.

But I also don't think Hobbit will be a flop. I don't think it will be a runaway hit, but I'm betting it ends up being a good solid effort when all is said and done.

1 week later
#489 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah at 70% to 30%, that is about the biggest margin I could imagine when you throw in the fan boy and hater factor. There are 25% who will vote Stern no matter what the game and 25% who will vote JJP no matter what the game.

I liked the way you made these numbers up. It throws away 50% of pinsiders that voted. Then it takes the remainder, and says the "real" votes work out at 9 to 1 in favor of Stern. Excellent math. I wonder if you included yourself in the 50% you tossed out

#518 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I 100% agree SKB! It would be a blast to drive a tank for a day or a week but pretty soon it would be like "oh it's time to go drive the tank again.. meh". JMHO after driving said tank, so don't take my word for it drive it your self.. Im not a tank guy (I prefer sports car)
Disclaimer: We all like different stuff and that's a good thing

Call me crazy, but if I had a big tank, I'd commute to work in it every day. Each day I would find, or make a new route to my office. I'd want a second tank in the garage in case I sank the first in a swimming pool or something. Sure, it would be slower than my car, but I'd never have to sit in traffic.

#520 8 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Ultimately, this is a another "car"gument, which I think you would both agree really does not work here. Different strokes for different folks.
I love WOZ and would prefer the sports car. Go figure.

I wasn't making a cargument! I want a F'ing tank to drive to work!!! It wasn't a metaphor, it was a TANK!!! Sorry for being off topic.

DaveH_Drives_To_Work_(resized).jpgDaveH_Drives_To_Work_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#594 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...fair enough. It's cheap drains versus big long shots that don't quite feel good. Now that I think aboot it...kind of reminded me of playing Zodiac

Zodiac_(resized).jpg

WTB: Zodiac - prefer local near Boston.

#614 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

And an observation that TH feedback has been more mixed

No matter what JJP releases the feedback will be more mixed. If they had released the exact version of GB that Stern released the feedback would also be more mixed. JJP feedback transcends the actual game.

#619 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ironman to me doesn't have much substance for a long term pin but people love it and keep it in their collection.

Nobody was more shocked than me. I bought the VE on a whim planning to push it back out the door three months later. But it can provide pinball satisfaction in less than 3 minutes. No other game I own provides so much so brutally fast. And then it breaks your heart.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

IMO Dwight doesn't have a 'masterpiece' pin yet like lyman and Keith do. GOT is great, again... Check back in a year.

I agree, he doesn't have a masterpiece. But GOT might end up being it for him. It came out of the gate VERY strong. I almost ignore the fact that Steve R designed it, because that game is really all about the software to me. But you're right, time will tell.

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Tron? + 2 minutes, more satisfaction and no heartbreak

I have Tron right next to my IM. Love them both

#647 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

But is there really much of a difference between not getting to some of the cool modes because the game is set up hard, or the cool modes not being there like in IM?
I think you can get to Destroy the Ring in 15 to 20 minutes if you concentrate on it.

I think it is a big difference. I want to see what the game has, and I think LOTR would be frustrating if the games were short as IM. Games play as long as they should play. Making it more brutal just to be brutal isn't that much fun.

And you can destroy the ring a lot faster than that. Just work on starting the multiballs, and as soon as it starts, dump the other balls. It is a fun way to play it late at night. A quick DTR and you're done. No modes, no nothing but start and dump out of the multiballs.

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

edit: slimer toy is also nothing special to me, not sure why

I haven't had a chance to see this video, but the lighting of Slimer looked much better in person than any other video I've seen. The green almost glows because the light is right over him.

#661 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Here's what you get to look forward to with the hobbit

image_(resized).jpeg

And here is what you get to look forward to with Ghostbusters:

Ghostbusters-StuckBalls_(resized).jpgGhostbusters-StuckBalls_(resized).jpg

#707 7 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I could careless about this new movie and I fail to see what that has to do with the GB pinball machine.

It had absolutely nothing to do with the GB pinball machine. Kind of like a stuck ball didn't really have much to do with The Hobbit. When I saw the picture I decided to post my own useless picture of the other side.

I've never posted a picture of stuck balls on Star Trek by the pops. I didn't post on from the first time I played GOT and one got stuck between the left ramp and the lamp post. It just stuck me as stupid. But leave it to SilverBallz to then jump on it...

#789 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Always hear this. Always play woz in a room with zero natural light and play with the room lights off. No issues seeing the ball.

Timeout. I'm a JJP supporter, so I'm allowed to say it. I hate how Neo drones on bashing JJP each chance he gets. He is a total broken record. However in this case the axe he is grinding is true. WOZ was illuminated poorly. I always played mine with extra light balanced out.

Of course I also have to do the same with GOT because it vacillates between complete darkness to blinding flashing over and over. An extra ball during a Multiball shuts off all the lights and then blinds you with every insert... And then TheLaw comes in and says I'm being a wimp about it on Pinside because it isn't an issue for him. Come on Dwight, give me a setting to leave the GI out of those effects.

#797 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

The problem isn't an occasional stuck ball.
The problem is the ball will wedge in a pop-up that's closing, and the ball search will not release it.
It's kind of a design issue.

It is a design issue, but it sounds like one that can be corrected in software. From a wild guess, it sounds like they are not firing the beast mech if the bottom switch isn't closed. So changing the ball search routine to pop them up anyway is probably the way to go. Alex said a fix would be coming sooner rather than later.

1 week later
#928 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

But simply put (IMO) Stern should put full color changing inserts on their LE and premium pins.

Ghostbusters LE sold out in about a day. People are already asking 10k for it. No need to add more cost until sales start lagging.

#945 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sounds to me like greed is more important to management then offering customers value at the LE level...

It's isn't greed, it's business. They are not doing this as a hobby, they do it to pay the bills. They pay workers to work, those workers buy groceries and pay mortgages. They were never in the business of providing customers extra value, they are in the business of selling a product for money. If the product sells fast with 20 bucks less parts in it, awesome. That also leaves you a feature to add back later when sales slow.

Imagine sales of LE do drop a bit on a killer theme. The next killer theme will have an LCD as an LE only feature, and a small price bump. And the crowd will go wild.

#998 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Agreed. TH is faster than the haters want to give it credit for, but it's not going to be GB fast. It's just different, and thankfully so. I've played plenty of blazing fast sterns, so TH is a very welcomed change to me. It's a shooters dream, and is smooth and quick when set up correctly. TH owners don't need to defend it vs GB. It's just different. It's great.

You forgot to say "mic drop" at the end of that, because this entire thread comes right down to this.

#1001 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Exactly. They are completely different games. Comparing the 2 makes absolutely no sense at all. The only commonality is the time in which they were released. That's it.

And yet we are ready to start the second thousand posts. Begin

#1016 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

am thinking of going Metallica Pro LED next.. I hope it is as impressive.

In my opinion, it is much more impressive than GB. MET is a great ruleset and fun to shoot. I don't like the band that much, but the game is good enough to get past that for me.

1 week later
#1135 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Panzer, you need to put down your sword and shield and let people talk.

Nice! "You disagree with me, so please stop talking".

Quoted from jar155:

LOTR and TSPP are two of my top 10 games of all time. They're perfect examples of great layouts combines with great code. But that's the thing, they have both, not just one.

LOTR is a standard fan layout. And if TSPP came out today, it's reputation as a clunkfest would be cemented before the first code update was released.

LOTR is one of the best games ever made, but take away the rules and the sounds, and it would be a boring shooter. Yet that seems to be how most people want to judge Hobbit.

2 weeks later
#1194 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I thought "built like a tank" implied it didn't break down. I guess it just means it's heavy.

Thank goodness it was you that gave him the opening to describe all the problems. He wouldn't have responded if it had been me.

4 weeks later
#1294 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The point is that some people just don't want to deal with replacing ramps

Shill. That is absolutely acting like a complete shill. One test game had an issue, and it was fixed before full production, yet you raise it as an issue still. If other users had run into it, Pinside would have been blazing with pictures of it. Just how many of these mythical "people" have replaced their ramps?

#1302 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You do know that JJP has sent out replacements and plans on sending out more, right? Same with the left wireform.

You do know that Stern has had to send out entire replacement playfields, right?

This is stupid because I can admit that I like both companies. I'm not shilling for either. Too bad you can't do the same.

#1316 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's borderline psychopathic.

Ummmmmm, no. You might want to look up what that is before using it in this context.

#1336 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Even with noise, does it "disappear" when you play a game or do you still notice it when playing?

I only noticed mine when nothing was being played. Same with Game Of Thrones. If the room is silent, you hear the fan. Start any game in the room, and you don't notice it.

And it's a bummer that everything is moving away from passive cooling. Fans fail, and that failure stresses the components the fan was working to keep cool.

#1342 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Maybe time to sell it if it gives you that much heartburn.

Bite your tongue! John is a WOZer for life, no matter how many times he sells it.

#1349 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I have gone with a GB PRO and a MET PRO LED at this point I am going to wait on the Hobbit..
I am very pleased so far..

I don't think much of GB, but MET is a hell of a great game. Enjoy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 103.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.50
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.