(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 31.
#351 8 years ago

So it's a hardware issue or software intended that to happen?

#352 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It's all there

The typical "wow-shot" interacting with the ball and variety in shot choice is missing.

Kind of almost everything that looks exciting is merely decoration.

On the other hand the vast majority over here love the game, it's been "routed" since a few weeks. It looks stunning, technically it's VERY impressive, sound is perfect, so there's a lot to like about the game.

Personally, I'm heavily into sharp shooting fast pins, exciting & diverse shots, combos and interactive toys. TH does not really deliver much in any of these disciplines.

#353 8 years ago

I guess I'm going to end up with both.

I've considered trying to trade my Smaug SE for a GBLE only b/c I've never owned a Stern LE and I'd like to have one. I guess I'll end up parting w/ something else to fund a GB Premium so I can ride the code update wave of TH this summer while still enjoying the abuse of those Trudea-gap flippers and brick-city tight shots on GB.

Two, very different and very awesome games.

It really is a great time to be into pinball... Awesome stuff out there!

#354 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Is everyone just going to do a "hail mary" for "really good code will fix this"?

No, a hail Mary suggests that people are praying for really good code.

TH has Keith Johnson. This situation is more like Joe Montana throwing to Jerry Rice.

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought shipping without complete code was "fraud?"
An oldie but a goodie

glasshouses_(resized).jpgglasshouses_(resized).jpg

#356 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

No, a hail Mary suggests that people are praying for really good code.
TH has Keith Johnson. This situation is more like Joe Montana throwing to Jerry Rice.
» YouTube video

Yeah, but those guys didn't play with an unlimited play clock....

#357 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought shipping without complete code was "fraud?"
An oldie but a goodie

Endeavors often look easy until you try to do them yourself.

#358 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I read in the hobbit thread that they're making a plastic shield or something that keeps the ball on the wire form as occasionally when it gets diverted to the windlance Outlane when it's not supposed to? That was my understanding of it anyway.

I believe it's a mechanical problem with the diverter - the one on route near me occasionally dumps the ball to the outlane when the kickback mech isn't lit.

#359 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Endeavors often look easy until you try to do them yourself.

True. I guess I'm just not a big dreamer because building pinball machines seems like the damned hardest thing I can imagine

#360 8 years ago

"magnetic slings" on Gb premium and LE. Not sure this is a long term fun factor!

#361 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

"magnetic slings" on Gb premium and LE. Not sure this is a long term fun factor!

that's why i may choose a pro rather than a premuim

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from chatplume51:

that's why i may choose a pro rather than a premuim

Do you know if it is on the whole time or is it just during certain modes? I would think it would be more like the witch in WOZ not all the time.?!

#363 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Do you know if it is on the whole time or is it just during certain modes? I would think it would be more like the witch in WOZ not all the time.?!

Pretty sure most of the time they will attempt to replicate how a coil sling works - each sling has a sling switch which I'm assuming will activate the magnet and throw it into the rubber making it bounce off.

But they will also use the magnets to behave differently in different modes. Because they have 2 magnets next to each other they can gain a lot more control over the ball, not just randomize it or trap it. They may not even use them to randomize at all, being so close to the flippers.

I guess we'll find out soon enough - can't wait for gameplay footage of the LE.

#364 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Pretty sure most of the time they will attempt to replicate how a coil sling works - each sling has a sling switch which I'm assuming will activate the magnet and throw it into the rubber making it bounce off.
But they will also use the magnets to behave differently in different modes. Because they have 2 magnets next to each other they can gain a lot more control over the ball, not just randomize it or trap it. They may not even use them to randomize at all, being so close to the flippers.
I guess we'll find out soon enough - can't wait for gameplay footage of the LE.

When do we get to see?

I have never seen super accurate magnet play before. Even on MET and TWD newish games. When sparky/Prison grabs the ball for the start of multiball it can often let it go STDM. Of course it doesn't matter as you get it straight back but its a big step to go from that magnetic slings.

#365 8 years ago

My concern about the slings isn't if they don't play like normal slings, they won't, that's the point! But my concern is that they'll keep the ball away from the flippers Moreso than regular slings.

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

My concern about the slings isn't if they don't play like normal slings, they won't, that's the point! But my concern is that they'll keep the ball away from the flippers Moreso than regular slings.

really looking forward to how this works, might have been posted already but is there any news on when we might see a Pre/LE in action?

#367 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

might have been posted already but is there any news on when we might see a Pre/LE in action?

Nope.

#368 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

might have been posted already but is there any news on when we might see a Pre/LE in action?

Nobody actually needs to see a Premium/LE Ghostbusters in action to determine how great the game is.

I think someone already posted it should end up being a top 5 game.

#369 8 years ago

Ghostbusters. Great artwork.

#370 8 years ago

So how did this play out? Was everybody tasteful?

#371 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Tasty more like it.

#372 8 years ago

Did they release new code yet? they posted a facebook factory tour and the very beginning of the video the camera man asks a worker playing GB how he likes the new code.

#373 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Nobody actually needs to see a Premium/LE Ghostbusters in action to determine how great the game is.
I think someone already posted it should end up being a top 5 game.

Because someone said it should be a top 5 game that automatically makes it true? That is always possible but we won't know till we can see and play it.

Top whatever is always subjective. Both TH and GBLE (most likely) are great games in their own right. I personally wouldn't buy a pro. If you want to play what Trudeau originally designed and intended for GB you have to get the Premium/LE.

#374 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Because someone said it should be a top 5 game that automatically makes it true?

It was

#375 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sure, discussing a game no one has played vs one that Nearly no one has played..... What could go wrong?

#376 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So far so good..

#377 8 years ago

and the ratings are useless. Many of those votes are all people jacked up on hype for a game that is about to come out. Votes made before anyone even played it. The others are people trying to jack up their own games and some are trying to set an artificial value on a game they are trying to sell. Point is, I bet at least half of the votes on most games, are bullshit. So top 10 , 20 or whatever, doesn't mean shit.

#378 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

and the ratings are useless. Many of those votes are all people jacked up on hype for a game that is about to come out. Votes made before anyone even played it. The others are people trying to jack up their own games and some are trying to set an artificial value on a game they are trying to sell. Point is, I bet at least half of the votes on most games, are bullshit. So top 10 , 20 or whatever, doesn't mean shit.

I agree. They are just opinion...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#379 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

image_(resized).jpg

those ratings look about right. Least someone has some common sense around here.

#380 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

those ratings look about right. Least someone has some common sense around here.

Who has common sense? And you wonder why the ratings don't matter.

#381 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

image_(resized).jpg

Pathetic. If I were Robin I'd not count obvious troll ratings like this. No game deserves a 1...even EMs!

#382 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Pathetic. If I were Robin I'd not count obvious troll ratings like this. No game deserves a 1...even EMs!

well you have to offset the fan boys who claim them as 10's which also skews it. There's no such thing as a 10 in the pinball world either. It's only pathetic when it's negative? So obvious attempts to sway it the other way are not pathetic? I stand behind those ratings. I do not like those games for a reason. Where is my Xfiles and SF2 rating? They should be lower than Shit tales. maybe they didn't show up because they were a 0.

#383 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well you have to offset the fan boys who claim them as 10's which also skews it. There's no such thing as a 10 in the pinball world either. It's only pathetic when it's negative? So obvious attempts to sway it the other way are not pathetic? I stand behind those ratings. I do not like those games for a reason. Where is my Xfiles and SF2 rating? They should be lower than Shit tales. maybe they didn't show up because they were a 0.

So you feel the need to restore order to things. Are you Batman?

#384 8 years ago

GB question is about the hologram. Does anyone know if is it going to an image or moving animation?

#385 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

GB question is about the hologram. Does anyone know if is it going to an image or moving animation?

It sounds like an actual animation. In the "Flippin Podcast" John Trudeau mentioned something about sneaking in a quick animation of his cat "walking" past the area, haha. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3D Slimer animation we see in the first few seconds of Stern's initial announcement video is one of the animations for the Ecto Goggles. That Slimer animation is very detailed and I haven't see Stern create similar detailed animations in the past for other games.

#386 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

There's no such thing as a 10 in the pinball world either.

Captainneo would disagree...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

So you are manipulating ratings and see yourself as a hero against people manipulating ratings?

Attempts to sway it in both directions are pathetic.

And sure, zeros probably don't show up anymore. That is why most manipulators switched to the proverbial "3" rating. It skews the results better.

#387 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

image_(resized).jpg

So you are manipulating ratings and see yourself as a hero against people manipulating ratings?
And sure, zeros probably don't show up anymore. That is why most manipulators switched to the proverbial "3" rating. It skews the results better.

IMO, this is worse than anything Kaneda has ever done. Yes, I went there.

#388 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

IMO, this is worse than anything Kaneda has ever done. Yes, I went there.

I'll need some time to ponder this

#389 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

image_(resized).jpg

Game, Set, Match.

#390 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm not well versed in all of the EM world, but I have played a Bally El Toro which is steaming pile of garbage with nothing to redeem it, and that was a game from a major manufacturer right after Fireball. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some obscure EMs that deserved a 1.0 out there.

#391 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

image_(resized).jpg

Some respect for Captainneo lost.

I find that all games have some redeeming qualities. Even games I really dislike for one reason or another score in the sixes.

#392 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well you have to offset the fan boys who claim them as 10's which also skews it.

Keep in mind that the average score of a Top 100 pin is around 8.25. It takes about 3 bogus 10's to skew the average rating the same as a single bogus 3. So the haters have a much bigger influence than the fanboys...

#393 8 years ago

Everyone figuring out Neo is kind of a dick? Man this must be April Fools day

#394 8 years ago
Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

Keep in mind that the average score of a Top 100 pin is around 8.25. It takes about 3 bogus 10's to skew the average rating the same as a single bogus 3. So the haters have a much bigger influence than the fanboys...

And if we flag all the 1s and 10s as bogus like we're supposed to we get a more realistic average! 1s and 10s should be silently filtered out as bogus by default, or maybe an option to exclude them in calculation?

There's no point in an average if everyone takes a look at the average then either gives the game a super high or super low score to try to skew it to what they think it should be. Just rate games as you think they are...

#395 8 years ago

That's the kind of crap that gives Pinside ratings no credibility in the pinball world. Neo you do more harm to Pinside than you do in thinking your going to average out a a high rating. Terrible! Go back and give some proper thought to your past ratings. Can't controll everyone who puts a bogus rating but you've been an active pinsider and there is simply no excuse for this.

#396 8 years ago

Still no both option? My GB premium is ordered and my Hobbit SE was ordered today.

#397 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It sounds like an actual animation. In the "Flippin Podcast" John Trudeau mentioned something about sneaking in a quick animation of his cat "walking" past the area, haha. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3D Slimer animation we see in the first few seconds of Stern's initial announcement video is one of the animations for the Ecto Goggles. That Slimer animation is very detailed and I haven't see Stern create similar detailed animations in the past for other games.
» YouTube video

Hopefully it is impressive. We will find out soon.

#398 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

image_(resized).jpg

works both ways. Offset one direction..offset the other.

#399 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

works both ways. Offset one direction..offset the other.

I have not been on pinside as long as most, with that being said I struggle to find any reason to rate a game based off anything other than your true feelings and options of the game that you played.. In short why would anyone rate a game with false ratings.. Bizarre!

#400 8 years ago

they are not false. that is truely how you feel about a game, but some rate higher because it's the new pussay in their collection, some rate on a game they never even seen, and some rate based upon what they hear from other people, without actually playing it themselves. Hence why the ratings are bullshit and always have been

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.