(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 31.
#101 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

And Ghostbusters is running away with this poll.

Funny thing, I can't vote yet. Still too many unknowns.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

My vote is for GB , i own WOZ and i am real impressed, i can even tweak the pulse power for the coils in the menu?!

Who in their right mind buys the walking dead when you have kids?

Looks like we found the over protective parent.

#103 8 years ago

....ordered.....TH Numbers 995.....and GB Numbers 161.....

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I am in on Smaug LE & GBLE.
The hype for hobbit has all but gone. JJP have taken too long long to release it.
GB looks great, the playfield is PACKED with cool looking stuff and it's a great theme. The rules look good on the Pro. Although not sure about all these SUPERJACKPOTS it dishes out.

That can easily be changed in code thankfully. I'm hoping that lesser awards are jackpots or something else. Getting 8 super jackpots in a row kind of removes the meaning of the word.

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Getting 8 super jackpots in a row kind of removes the meaning of the word.

It works quite well in GOT.

#106 8 years ago

People also criticize it because it plays slow and floaty. I suspect this is mostly set-up.

It is.

Hobbit is a wide body pin, so it will play a bit slower than Stern pins in general, but that doesn't mean that it is "slow and floaty" if set up correctly. I have played Hobbit, and one I played didn't have enough elevation and yes, it was a bit floaty at times. But the shots are super smooth and satisfying.

Look at this video and tell me Hobbit is slow and floaty. It's not.

I love what I'm seeing with GB too. I just recently placed an order for Hobbit, and I plan on buying GB too, just a matter of whether it will be a premium or pro. I want to see video of the LE before making a decision. GB will probably play faster than Hobbit, but I don't need every one of my pins to play super fast either. A wide body pin will be a nice change of pace!

#107 8 years ago

I would never describe the shots on the Hobbit as super smooth. Star Trek is a machine with super smooth shots.

#108 8 years ago

Yes, Star Trek shoots very smoothly. So does Hobbit in my opinion.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

ask again in one year.
of course almost everybody will say GB because it's the newest one.

Totally agree

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

It is.
Hobbit is a wide body pin, so it will play a bit slower than Stern pins in general, but that doesn't mean that it is "slow and floaty" if set up correctly. I have played Hobbit, and one I played didn't have enough elevation and yes, it was a bit floaty at times. But the shots are super smooth and satisfying.
Look at this video and tell me Hobbit is slow and floaty. It's not.
» YouTube video
I love what I'm seeing with GB too. I just recently placed an order for Hobbit, and I plan on buying GB too, just a matter of whether it will be a premium or pro. I want to see video of the LE before making a decision. GB will probably play faster than Hobbit, but I don't need every one of my pins to play super fast either. A wide body pin will be a nice change of pace!

This video is amazing and give mad props to the guys that did it and the kid that plays, he's good!

This is how I remember TH playing when I played it.

#111 8 years ago

Have both LEs arriving in the next 6 weeks. They should both be great.

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I would never describe the shots on the Hobbit as super smooth. Star Trek is a machine with super smooth shots.

Thats because you are a Stern guy.

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Played both at TPF and it's not even close for me. GB is like 100% more fun and a complete package imo.

Yea, Different league. GB by a mile. Next....

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Thats because you are a Stern guy.

JJP is located 20 minutes from me. I hope someday that I only buy their games. I want the local guy to succeed.

I love games with flow. Almost half of my collection are Steve Ritchie designs.

#115 8 years ago

I'm in on both - can you add a "both" option to the poll.

Really looking forward to both for completely different reasons. I think they'll compliment each other nicely.

#116 8 years ago

Tastefully, this poll is stupid.

#117 8 years ago

Played the Hobbit several times.......

-Beautiful game, amazing sound
-Love the movie
-Flippers were strong
-Ramp shots were smooth
-Gameplay is slow for my taste
-Roll over targets in the middle of the playfield was a very bad call
-Not a fan of the new drop targets, they didn't feel right
-Despite trashing WOZ for years, I think it might be a better game
-JJP has nothing to be ashamed of, the Hobbit is impressive
-I will not be buying a Hobbit, but I will be buying a Kiss and GB

#118 8 years ago

I love them both, I played TH in it's very early stages and loved it back then. I watched GB. I like the theme and it works good for everyone since it is a well known movie. I'm awaiting my hobbit and hope in the future I will have a GB. I am not a stern fan, but I think this time they got it right. However to choose between one or the other is just premature at this time. I think TH needs an updated code and as for GB, aside from knowing the movie, we have not much to go on. It looks good but I haven't played it to get a real opinion. Great theme but is the code up to date? Are there any bugs in the system? just like TH there are a lot of unknowns. They are both entirely two different games to compare and It's just way to early to judge.

#119 8 years ago

I spent 3 hours playing the Hobbit at Flippers with no one else in the arcade a few days ago. Contrary to most of the reviews I have heard about "floaty" gameplay, this game is set up fast, and fun.....Beautiful game!.......But, I have never been a big "Dungeons and Dragons" type fan.

All that being said, I still am planning on getting a Premium GB....***after I have played it to see if I like the magnetic slings***. The "look" of GB with Zombie Yeti's art + the innovative ramps, holograms, etc.,etc., have me sold. I cannot wait to play it.....Flippers is getting an LE, so I can try a whole bunch before I decide to buy.

I have 10 kids, and the family friendliness of GB is off the charts.....should be a nice "Ying" to my Rob Zombie "Yang".

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Tastefully, this poll is stupid.

Not sure. I think it is reasonable.

#122 8 years ago

Played both at TPF and came to the conclusion Hobbit isn't my cup of tea. Hobbit played pretty slow and the rules leaned way too heavy on those whack a mole pop ups and drop targets for my taste. Prefer the speed and flow of Ghostbusters so that's where my money and vote is going. Not sure updated code would sway my opinion, not a big fan of the layout.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Not sure. I think it is reasonable.

The reason its kinda foolish is that GB's was clearly going to be the winner and the results thus far have proven that fact so it could come across as JJP bashing, I just had a chance to play TH and while fun its not going to appeal to the mass audience, GB's will crush it in terms of sales, gameplay and all that in strictly relative to the player, I lean towards fast and furious style and TH just isn't that type of pin but that doesn't mean its bad, if you loved WOZ then I think its safe to say you will be happy with TH, it does look amazing but thats not enough for me.

#124 8 years ago

I'm sorry but JJP blew it with TH. The hype is over. Game looks great and I hope to play one on location but this should have been shipping when the last movie was released. GB isn't the best theme for me but the playfield art looks awesome, we'll see how that right ramp pans out on the pro and the magnetic slings on the premium. If had this kind of money to spend on premiums because you really should compare apples to apples, I would choose neither and save for a great Star Wars or Iron Maiden.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I'm sorry but JJP blew it with TH. The hype is over. Game looks great and I hope to play one on location but this should have been shipping when the last movie was released.

This is the argument you choose?

Ghostbusters pinball missed the movie release by decades.

#126 8 years ago

True but the GB pin was never promised when the movies came out like TH. All I'm saying is JJP is losing a lot of prospect buyers by not delivering a product on time. How many have cancelled and moved on?

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

This is the argument you choose?
Ghostbusters pinball missed the movie release by decades.

Stern was contractually obligated to release GB within 32 years of the film's release date.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

I have 10 kids

Jeeeeessssuuuuuussss Chriiiiiiiiiiiissssttt!

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Ever thought of birth control or maybe cable in the bedroom?

#130 8 years ago

Played the hobbit and it was a snooze fest. JJP won't survive that S-show.

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

True but the GB pin was never promised when the movies came out like TH. All I'm saying is JJP is losing a lot of prospect buyers by not delivering a product on time. How many have cancelled and moved on?

I see.

This poll is more about how shitty JJP has been with expectations and delivery than how superior GB is to TH.

Neither game has reached the masses with finished code.

#132 8 years ago

Yeah but GB has so much more going for it. TH has a really bad layout. The display won't save it. Bring pat lawlor back to stern please.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Stern was contractually obligated to release GB within 32 years of the film's release date.

Great material.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Not sure what you mean by this, but I am going to pretend you are not insulting me....... My wife and I have been married for 26 years, and have 7 biological children of our own. We then decided to get into foster care, because we love kids and wanted to help others less fortunate then us. We have adopted 3 siblings from that system whose father was incarcerated, and mother is an addict...........When they arrived at our house they would put blankets over their heads and rock against the wall....I have come to learn that neglect is far more destructive then abuse....In the past 3 years they have excelled in our home.

So yeah,....I know what birth control is, and I have 10 kids,......and you know what??? We want more!....What have you done for someone else lately?

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

I have 10 kids, and the family friendliness of GB is off the charts.....should be a nice "Ying" to my Rob Zombie "Yang".

I think you need to be practicing on pulling out more than your pinball playing.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think you need to be practicing on pulling out more than your pinball playing.

#137 8 years ago

LE deposit on GB. Haven't touched TH yet but I'm hoping to put some serious time on one tomorrow at Pinball Wizard.

The lights look great, but the center piece looks like you took the fish tales boat and got rid of everything good about it. I don't know, don't want to judge it too much before playing it, but watching that (French?) video, it isn't quite blowing up my skirt just yet.

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

Not sure what you mean by this, but I am going to pretend you are not insulting me....... My wife and I have been married for 26 years, and have 7 biological children of our own. We then decided to get into foster care, because we love kids and wanted to help others less fortunate then us. We have adopted 3 siblings from that system whose father was incarcerated, and mother is an addict...........When they arrived at our house they would put blankets over their heads and rock against the wall....I have come to learn that neglect is far more destructive then abuse....In the past 3 years they have excelled in our home.
So yeah,....I know what birth control is, and I have 10 kids,......and you know what??? We want more!....What have you done for someone else lately?

I really don't think it was meant to be insulting - none of the comments are, or at least I wouldn't take it that way. I, and I think just about everyone else, greatly applaud you for your foster care volunteering - that really takes a very, very, very unselfish person/family to dedicate that kind of time (of course, having the resources to do it also helps immensely). But don't take things so personal - it's Pinside, people will joke about anything. And if you come on here and say you have 10 kids, that's quite surprising in this day and society, so expect a few jokes about it. All in good fun - none of the comments seemed insulting at all.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Played the hobbit and it was a snooze fest. JJP won't survive that S-show.

The best toy on the Hobbit is definitely Smaug, but he isn't as interactive as he should be. WOZ was loaded with lots of toys. Ghost busters is also loaded with lots of toys as well and has the hand drawn art. I believe Ghost busters will do just as well as WOZ did. I believe lot's of people will want to like Hobbit, but will probably get bored with it after a while. JJP did not live up to the statement that their first game would be the worst. They really need to buckle down and pull out a big one for game #3. It needs to play fast and have lots of toys and look beautiful to win people over I have seen more and more people ending up disappointed with Hobbit which is a shame after they waited so long.

I am pretty sure that, unless some other force happens like there is an earthquake at the factory or Stern goes bankrupt, that Ghost busters is going to be an instant classic. I mean just look at the huge fan following so many years later. And with the recent reboot of the movie (no matter how awful it may turn out) at least Ghost busters is more relevant at this time then the hobbit which is years late to the party. Take away the sucess of both movies and in my opinion ghost busters still is the big winner just in theme alone. I mean the movie was basically meant to be a pinball machine with all the colorful ghosts and proton streams, to all the classic lines in the movie.

#141 8 years ago

A lot of people are being tasteless in their comments. I don't like it.

Why are we doing polls on games that aren't yet released? Seems silly.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A lot of people are being tasteless in their comments. I don't like it.

You could do a poll about polling games?

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

To give Kaneda enough ammunition to make a daily podcast.

#144 8 years ago

I can see dropping $20 on the Hobbit on location. I honestly don't understand the game. The trolls are kind of annoying.

Can't wait to give GB a shot. I'm sure it will get at least $20 of coin drop out of me

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

I don't think they were really insulting you, but as a law enforcement/Fire/Medical veteran of over 25 years....my hats are off to you both.

#146 8 years ago

There are many sayings I can use

Timing is everything
Strike while the iron is hot
He who hesitates is lost

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

----

The Hobbit created a buzz, was announced in November 2012 around the same time as Stern announced The Avengers pin.

Let that sink in, since then Metallica happened, ST happened, MMr happened, GB is happening.

To say that Jack greatly screwed the roll out on The Hobbit would be underestimating the word 'greatly'.

IMO The Hobbit would need to be the second coming of TZ to overcome how badly Jack screwed the release (or non-release in this case).

So IMO maybe people were excited about TH 2-3 years ago but now not do much.

I've had dealers contacting me to try and sell the so-called TH LE and I've seen lots of people try to sell or give back their order, one Pinsider will accept delivery shortly is already listing it for sale.

In a word, Stern ate JJPs lunch on this release, not even a doubt in my mind and couple that with Stern having a $4800 version it's just adding insult to injury.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

I don't think anyone meant to be insulting. I have triplets and some people's response to that is negative like it's a bad thing. That's just some people's initial response and not meant to be insulting. Same sort of thing when people rag on their spouse. I don't like that sort of thing but it's usually It's great what you are doing giving those kids a better life - especially taking in all the siblings at once. Do you think pinball is therapeutic in any way? Maybe kids are different these days but it was always exciting to walk into an arcade with all the sights and sounds.

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

ask again in one year.
of course almost everybody will say GB because it's the newest one.

Actually the newest Stems always get trashed. GB is the exception.

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You could do a poll about polling games?

i already did one of those years ago.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The Hobbit created a buzz, was announced in November 2012 around the same time as Stern announced The Avengers pin.
Let that sink in.

That's insane. Really.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.95
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments/page/3?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.