(Topic ID: 155566)

Ghostbusters "Vs" Hobbit - Poll.. Please be tasteful in the comments!!

By frankmac

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,516 posts
  • 225 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Ghostbusters "vs" Jersey Jack Hobbit- What game do you choose?”

• Ghostbusters 606 votes
    66%
  • Hobbit 311 votes
    34%

(917 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161024_191722 (resized).jpg
20170204_212146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Messages_Image(1292536202)_(resized).png
half-wits-hero_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
oops_(resized).jpg
oops2_(resized).jpg
oops3_(resized).jpg
oops4_(resized).jpg
shocked_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 31.
#1451 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are you completely ignoring the complaints people have about this game? It's not a "me" thing. What don't you believe? You don't believe I hate the gap, droop, outlane hops, airballs, cheap stdm drains, and linear mode rules? Why can't you believe this? Have you played other pinball machines? I have. Fun vs. Not Fun is very clear. There are not many DMD-era games I dislike....and if I do, my reasons are valid.

I believe you hate all of that but I don't understand it. The air balls and lane guide hops can be fixed easy enough. As for the rest of the complaints, I'm not seeing them to be big issues honestly. I've played almost every game in your collection and many many more, and own 6 games currently so I'm not a pinball noob lol. I mean TWD is frustrating as hell, but you like it don't you? Doesn't get much more frustrating than that!

#1452 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I mean TWD is frustrating as hell, but you like it don't you? Doesn't get much more frustrating than that!

I'm indifferent about TWD. I don't watch the show, and I don't like the toys at all...but it plays well, and I'll put quarters in it on location. I've played a ton of Pros and LEs and I've NEVER found it frustrating...I usually have a decent length game. Code is solid Lyman, no linearity - so even if I have a shit game I never feel like it was cheated out of content or had a bad time. I just hate that you have to chop thru the GB ladders to experience any interesting GB content. Linear ladders was just not a way to exploit the fun of the license. I've never had a game of GB that was fun. It's usually cheap-drain city...but the few games I had where I actually kept the ball in play for a while and got a few extra balls - I still wouldn't call those games fun. I feel like I endured the torture lol....and still didn't see the gaddamn Marshmallow Man!!! F that garbage game. Enjoy yours. Lol.

#1453 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm indifferent about TWD. I don't watch the show, and I don't like the toys at all...but it plays well, and I'll put quarters in it on location. I've played a ton of Pros and LEs and I've NEVER found it frustrating...I usually have a decent length game. Code is solid Lyman, no linearity - so even if I have a shit game I never feel like it was cheated out of content or had a bad time. I just hate that you have to chop thru the GB ladders to experience any interesting GB content. Linear ladders was just not a way to exploit the fun of the license. I've never had a game of GB that was fun. It's usually cheap-drain city...but the few games I had where I actually kept the ball in play for a while and got a few extra balls - I still wouldn't call those games fun. I feel like I endured the torture lol....and still didn't see the gaddamn Marshmallow Man!!! F that garbage game. Enjoy yours. Lol.

You have so much hate for GB that it seems like your talking about an ex wife that cheated on you and then raked you over the coals for alimony and child support or something.

#1454 7 years ago

I've chosen GB Prem. First NIB. The jury is still out.

#1455 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL talk about boring. I'd rather have no machines than a boring smelly old EM.

oh I have to give you thumbs down for that. Certain EM's are fun as shit. Especially with groups. Dollar games on Em's are a blast.

#1456 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

oh I have to give you thumbs down for that. Certain EM's are fun as shit. Especially with groups. Dollar games on Em's are a blast.

I say that stuff just to annoy EM snobs. I don't have a problem with EMs...for me personally, they don't offer what I find interesting in pinball. I'd play them at a show but I'd never buy one.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

You have so much hate for GB that it seems like your talking about an ex wife that cheated on you and then raked you over the coals for alimony and child support or something.

It's true. I was in love....and my love was torn away from my by bad design and QC!!! Hey I wish GB was just "another bad game" ...but it's a dream theme license for me, so the fact that it got botched was a huge disappointment. I think the "me of a few years ago" would have still taken delivery and defended it. I defended TF and Xmen for a while, as I was enjoying the coolness of the themes which overrode my dislike of certain design and creative decisions. And even though I dislike those games now - I did have a period of time of fun on them. That's what is odd about GB to me - it didn't give me the "blinded by the license" fun, which is a first for me. So when I'm negative about GB - keep in mind my reaction is more of a shock about my own reaction!

#1457 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I say that stuff just to annoy EM snobs. I don't have a problem with EMs...for me personally, they don't offer what I find interesting in pinball. I'd play them at a show but I'd never buy one.

It's true. I was in love....and my love was torn away from my by bad design and QC!!! Hey I wish GB was just "another bad game" ...but it's a dream theme license for me, so the fact that it got botched was a huge disappointment. I think the "me of a few years ago" would have still taken delivery and defended it. I defended TF and Xmen for a while, as I was enjoying the coolness of the themes which overrode my dislike of certain design and creative decisions. And even though I dislike those games now - I did have a period of time of fun on them. That's what is odd about GB to me - it didn't give me the "blinded by the license" fun, which is a first for me. So when I'm negative about GB - keep in mind my reaction is more of a shock about my own reaction!

It's just weird because I play it and feel like it's one of the best pins ever made. It does have short ball times and pisses me off sometimes but when you have a good game it is a blast and so much fun. I know everyone isn't like me and I don't expect you to be but how much time have you actually spent playing a GB Premium?

Forget about the ghosting playfields because that's over with, the air balls and lane guide jumping is an easy fix with Arts plastics. If it's a dream theme for you it seems like you could overlook the short ball times. The negative talk about GB is all but gone and there are a ton of people who love the game. Give it another chance hero!

#1458 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If it's a dream theme for you it seems like you could overlook the short ball times

I feel like you're ignoring one of the things I hate about it: The linear rules & cheap drains. If the ball times are short because the drains are cheap...that's not fun. Since the rules are linear, short ball times mean the only GB content I ever see is the same few modes over and over and over.

Take any other game and set it up for short ball times...you can still enjoy different content each time. If I set up my LOTR, TSPP, FGY, AC/DC, etc super duper hard...I could still *at least* see a different mode on each game. Imagine playing AC/DC and you can't enjoy any of the song modes except for Back in Black every single time you hit start. That's what GB is like to me. I just highly dislike how they conceptualized the gameplay. There's no way around it.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I know everyone isn't like me and I don't expect you to be but how much time have you actually spent playing a GB Premium?

I've played a ton of different Pros, LEs and Premiums. It's always the same experience. Remember, I ordered & paid for my game in March 2016. Had I kept my order, I wouldn't have received it until September 2016. I had PLENTY of time to play lots of GB while waiting...and I was conflicted about whether to stay or go for months. My girlfriend said "just cancel it if you don't like it!" but I kept hoping the code would change my opinion...and while I like the changes Dwight made to make the game less annoying (restarting and replaying the same mode 3 or 4 times in a row was horrible)...I still didn't like the linearity or cheap drains. Then came "insertgate"...so I told Trent to put a hold on my order. The final decision to bail was when I played two brand new Premiums while visiting Portland...and both had ghosted inserts. I cancelled my order at that point.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's just weird because I play it and feel like it's one of the best pins ever made.

There are just too many negatives for me to ever join you in that conclusion. It's one of the best LOOKING...absolutely. That's as far as my positive opinion goes. And look...again, why is this a "me" thing? There are plenty of people in plenty of GB threads with the same exact opinion. I know tons of pinball friends who feel the same way. Plenty of people here on Pinside have posted about buying the game and selling it quickly. It's absolutely polarizing.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Give it another chance hero!

How many do I have to give it!??!!? As someone who loves the theme and wanted to love it, I wish I felt the opposite. I've tried.

#1459 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's just weird because I play it and feel like it's one of the best pins ever made. It does have short ball times and pisses me off sometimes but when you have a good game it is a blast and so much fun. I know everyone isn't like me and I don't expect you to be but how much time have you actually spent playing a GB Premium?
Forget about the ghosting playfields because that's over with, the air balls and lane guide jumping is an easy fix with Arts plastics. If it's a dream theme for you it seems like you could overlook the short ball times. The negative talk about GB is all but gone and there are a ton of people who love the game. Give it another chance hero!

+1

I'm with you. I bought Ghostbusters at a turning point in my pinball collecting. I've now run out of room and said to myself "I'm going to play this with the intention of moving it on for the next title. Possibly the next new release game or another one down the road". It has been one of the greatest games to enter my collection. I love the art, I love the theme, I love the audio and I love the theme. I really love that art work!!!! Wow. It looks awesome in my line up. I found the game incredibly frustrating on original code and it eased up after the updates. Despite the cheap drains, I've gotten used to it over time and it's just become part of the game for me. For me, i don't find it as bad as what people say it is. Being in a home environment it doesn't really frustrate me. I'm probably more easy going than some. I just hit start again and have another game.

As for TWD. Have owned the Pro for 2 months now and I find it WAY more frustrating than Ghostbusters. I'm lucky to start a single mode. Ball drain after ball drain. A good game is getting 2 modes started.

#1460 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I feel like you're ignoring one of the things I hate about it: The linear rules & cheap drains. If the ball times are short because the drains are cheap...that's not fun. Since the rules are linear, short ball times mean the only GB content I ever see is the same few modes over and over and over.
Take any other game and set it up for short ball times...you can still enjoy different content each time. If I set up my LOTR, TSPP, FGY, AC/DC, etc super duper hard...I could still *at least* see a different mode on each game. Imagine playing AC/DC and you can't enjoy any of the song modes except for Back in Black every single time you hit start. That's what GB is like to me. I just highly dislike how they conceptualized the gameplay. There's no way around it.

I've played a ton of different Pros, LEs and Premiums. It's always the same experience. Remember, I ordered & paid for my game in March 2016. Had I kept my order, I wouldn't have received it until September 2016. I had PLENTY of time to play lots of GB while waiting...and I was conflicted about whether to stay or go for months. My girlfriend said "just cancel it if you don't like it!" but I kept hoping the code would change my opinion...and while I like the changes Dwight made to make the game less annoying (restarting and replaying the same mode 3 or 4 times in a row was horrible)...I still didn't like the linearity or cheap drains. Then came "insertgate"...so I told Trent to put a hold on my order. The final decision to bail was when I played two brand new Premiums while visiting Portland...and both had ghosted inserts. I cancelled my order at that point.

There are just too many negatives for me to ever join you in that conclusion. It's one of the best LOOKING...absolutely. That's as far as my positive opinion goes. And look...again, why is this a "me" thing? There are plenty of people in plenty of GB threads with the same exact opinion. I know tons of pinball friends who feel the same way. Plenty of people here on Pinside have posted about buying the game and selling it quickly. It's absolutely polarizing.

How many do I have to give it!??!!? As someone who loves the theme and wanted to love it, I wish I felt the opposite. I've tried.

That's cool, I respect your opinion. I respectfully disagree but we are all different. It's a shame it didn't work out for you since it's a dream theme.

#1461 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That's cool, I respect your opinion. I respectfully disagree but we are all different. It's a shame it didn't work out for you since it's a dream theme.

It's fine, I can just watch the movie instead lol You win some, you lose some. Transformers was a dream theme and that didn't turn out the way I had hoped. AC/DC was another and I was thrilled with that game...still am, and play it regularly! Lebowski is my ultimate dream theme...if it would only f*cking show up already, but that's another story lol

#1462 7 years ago
Quoted from ckorth:

Thought I'd chime in - I wound up trading my GB LE for a Hobbit Smaug recently and couldn't be happier. As other have mentioned - GB was a dream theme - but I found it just didn't draw me back for another game, was unnecessarily hard and yes the issues out of the box should not be there - I feel there were some poor design choices in the layout and flipper alignment. I think GB has potential but also did not love the linear progression model - hopefully that will change in the future. Again I didn't dislike it just didn't love it - I do think it is one of Sterns better offerings in terms of toys and bill of materials.
Hobbit has turned out to be a great pinball adventure that my kids and guests are drawn to - and bashing the beasts just never gets old along with the 31 modes that all call for different and mostly fun ways to complete. When comparing the two just from a build perspective - absolutely no comparison - you get so much more for your money with Hobbit quality wise. It unfortunately makes GB look a bit like balsa wood and tin foil - My vote is Hobbit - fun game with lots to do!.

I traded my GB Premium for a nice Hobbit Smaug. GB was just not my style of game- I always stressed out playing it. Hobbit makes me just relax and let my cares from the day melt away.

#1463 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's fine, I can just watch the movie instead lol You win some, you lose some. Transformers was a dream theme and that didn't turn out the way I had hoped. AC/DC was another and I was thrilled with that game...still am, and play it regularly! Lebowski is my ultimate dream theme...if it would only f*cking show up already, but that's another story lol

I just watched The Big Lebowski for the first time about 2 weeks ago. That is an awesome movie lol.

#1464 7 years ago

I don't think GB is that linear. games like IM and PM are much more linear. least you have different paths you can take to mix things up. but with it's brutal design. You don't need too deep of rules. You need shallower, in your face quick rules and objectives that are obtainable in a nut punching layout. Can't have LOTR rules with a IM layout, nobody would ever see the ending, except the guys on here, that put their games on 10 ball, rubber over the outlanes, and carrot flippers with a post in the middle. Which there are more of those on here, than should be.

#1465 7 years ago

or be Lyman, Keith or Bowen. but most of us arn't those 3 guys.

#1466 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't think GB is that linear. games like IM and PM are much more linear. least you have different paths you can take to mix things up. but with it's brutal design.

GB is absolutely linear. Modes are locked out completely unless you finish the modes in front of it, in order.

IM isn't linear. It doesn't even really have modes! You can fight Iron Monger, Whiplash, or War Machine in any order...and they have unique stacking strategies. You can raise Monger, start War Machine MB, then start Monger MB and stack. But if you start Monger MB first, you can't stack it with the others. You can start Whiplash MB, then start War Machine MB and stack. But if you raise Monger, you can't start Whiplash. IM has just enough depth in its stacking nuance.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You don't need too deep of rules. You need shallower, in your face quick rules and objectives that are obtainable in a nut punching layout. Can't have LOTR rules with a IM layout, nobody would ever see the ending,

I agree. That's why IM rules, and GB sucks. GB has all this mode content that no one can see because of the quick ball times. It has the appearance of depth without the design to support it. Also, IM isn't cheap. GB is. There's a huge difference. IM is hard because it's challenging. GB is hard because there's literally nothing you can do to stop most of the cheapness.

#1467 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GB is absolutely linear. Modes are locked out completely unless you finish the modes in front of it, in order.
IM isn't linear. It doesn't even really have modes! You can fight Iron Monger, Whiplash, or War Machine in any order...and they have unique stacking strategies. You can raise Monger, start War Machine MB, then start Monger MB and stack. But if you start Monger MB first, you can't stack it with the others. You can start Whiplash MB, then start War Machine MB and stack. But if you raise Monger, you can't start Whiplash. IM has just enough depth in its stacking nuance.

I agree. That's why IM rules, and GB sucks. GB has all this mode content that no one can see because of the quick ball times. It has the appearance of depth without the design to support it. Also, IM isn't cheap. GB is. There's a huge difference. IM is hard because it's challenging. GB is hard because there's literally nothing you can do to stop most of the cheapness.

GB has mode content that no one can see? That's a bit of a stretch. After 100 posts, we get it, you don't like GB, but come on....Plus, some would say the magnets on Iron Man create some "cheap" drains.

#1468 7 years ago

Not only that, but when IM was brand new. when shooting the right ramp. It would get to the top, not make the turn, and would go down perfectly down the left side drain as if it was part of the ramp path. Every time. that's when it was first released and on location. Used to piss me off that they would design the ramp like that first of all, and second make it so if didnt' make it, was a direct shot down the left outlane.

#1469 7 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

GB has mode content that no one can see? That's a bit of a stretch.

Not at all. You have to do everything in order...so most players will never see more than "Who Brought the Dog" or "Librarian". All the movie quotes/characters/callouts are locked into their respective modes - which can't be accessed by most players. Any player can walk up to most mode-based games and start one mode...and pretty much no mode bases games have forced linear progression. So, for example, anytime anyone walks up to LOTR...they can enjoy different content.

Quoted from DrJoe:

...Plus, some would say the magnets on Iron Man create some "cheap" drains.

That's not cheap. That's a known battle. The purpose of that toy is to fight you. So, a dead nuts hit on Monger might get flung right back at you...so, aim carefully! A drain from that battle isn't cheap. A drain from GB's pops exit right through the mile-wide gap IS cheap. A drain off an airball from the targets by the ramps IS cheap. Drains off Scoreli airballs IS cheap. A drain from the inlane bouncing over into the outlane IS cheap. Those aren't GAMEPLAY drains. Those are design flaw drains.

GB is a mode-story game and IM isn't. IM's design and code are ONE....they work together for a cohesive experience. GB's design theory fights with its code theory.

#1470 7 years ago

So you're saying that most players can't complete 3 shots to finish "Who brought the dog"? Or hit the ramp off a super skill shot to start "We got one" and then hit 3 shots to finish it? Sorry but this is just plain exaggeration or really, really bad play. I like Iron Man just fine but the black/white objectification (GREAT vs. Horrible) is a little extreme imo.

#1471 7 years ago

Man, if my 4-year old can pass a mode or two (and he can), then any adult should AT LEAST be able to pass a ladder and experience a multiball or two without too much trouble.

GB is hard, but it's really not unfair. If anything, I'm happy to find a game that has additional unpredictability in it. There's so much more tension and satisfaction for making big shots when you're playing a game that is always a second from a drain. Use your two warnings every ball, get work done during the ball saver, and be deliberate in your shots (flailing is bad!), and you'll see lots of great stuff in Ghostbusters. Yeah, some games will see you bomb out at 60 million, but that just makes the bigger games so much more satisfying.

Contrast that to games coming out far too often that make multiball extremely easy to achieve, throwaway modes, and super long ball times...Ghostbusters is a VERY welcome change of pace. The shots feel wonderful on the game, and they make the modes a thrill.

#1472 7 years ago

GB's fatal flaw is that it's so finicky that it's rare to find one on location that isn't nearly impossible to play for some reason or another. It's probably fine at home where you can constantly keep it in sterling condition but it's horrible in an arcade when the left scoop is firing the ball STDM and the return gate on the orbit is stuck up and Slimer isn't registering. At that point you're just donating your quarters.

#1473 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

GB's fatal flaw is that it's so finicky that it's rare to find one on location that isn't nearly impossible to play for some reason or another. It's probably fine at home where you can constantly keep it in sterling condition but it's horrible in an arcade when the left scoop is firing the ball STDM and the return gate on the orbit is stuck up and Slimer isn't registering. At that point you're just donating your quarters.

Yeah, unless you have a very dedicated operator, the build quality kind of bites you in the butt on GB.

#1474 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Man, if my 4-year old can pass a mode or two (and he can), then any adult should AT LEAST be able to pass a ladder and experience a multiball or two without too much trouble.

Not when it's airball city, straight down the middle from the left of the pops, or straight down the middle from a right-of-the-pops ricochet. I'm a good player, and I like a challenge...and plenty of good players hate this game because skill is irrelevant when the design is so poor. Almost every game I play on GB is just air-drain, side-bounce drain, stdm drain. I have indeed had decent games on GB where I got thru the center ladder and maybe half of the other ones...I'm not saying it's impossible...but when I have had those "good" games...I still didn't find it fun...I felt like I had just gotten lucky and survived the cheap.

Quoted from trunchbull:

GB's fatal flaw is that it's so finicky that it's rare to find one on location that isn't nearly impossible to play for some reason or another.

BINGO! When I was playing GB's around Portland...every single one was an asshole! If it wasn't the airballs and cheap drains, it was Slimer not working! Gawdhelp you if he's not registering hits...it's pointless!!!

Quoted from jar155:

Yeah, unless you have a very dedicated operator, the build quality kind of bites you in the butt on GB.

...and the 20 or so GB machines I have played have all been on location. And you can't play the "all location games suck" card...because at the locations where I've played GB, I've played plenty of other "just out of the box" Sterns that play fine and are fun.

#1475 7 years ago

Out of the box, my GBLE wasn't playable. Broken switches, a bent scoop, a broken opto, Scoleri's adjusted poorly, and a whole other list of issues made me put a good 10 hours into working on the game before I could actually enjoy it. But man, once I did...the game is spectacular.

#1476 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Out of the box, my GBLE wasn't playable. Broken switches, a bent scoop, a broken opto, Scoleri's adjusted poorly, and a whole other list of issues made me put a good 10 hours into working on the game before I could actually enjoy it. But man, once I did...the game is spectacular.

I've bought and tweaked plenty of NIB games...at these prices, I'm just not willing to do it anymore. Hopefully one day I'll play a GB that doesn't play like dogshit, have droopy flippers or a stupid gap of doom...but I'll still hate the linear modes, horrible ESP video mode & lack of humor/callouts during gameplay. Maybe in 10 years someone will pull a BOP 2.0 on it lol...

#1477 7 years ago

air balls do calm down with use. Mine have reduced drastically. Adjusting the targets to more of a downward angle helped cut them down about 80%. Yes this game needs a little more tweeking out of the box, but once you get it, it plays just as good as my other games.

#1478 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've bought and tweaked plenty of NIB games...at these prices, I'm just not willing to do it anymore. Hopefully one day I'll play a GB that doesn't play like dogshit, have droopy flippers or a stupid gap of doom...but I'll still hate the linear modes, horrible ESP video mode & lack of humor/callouts during gameplay. Maybe in 10 years someone will pull a BOP 2.0 on it lol...

I hear you, man. I can't argue with that. I ran out of patience and I'm out of the Stern NIB game as well. Still can't answer to myself why I have a Dialed In on preorder...

#1479 7 years ago

I am a huge Ghostbusters fan, my pin hauler for local trips is a 1958 Miller Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combo... I was going to get a GB Prem NIB with the topper and all, but wanted to get some play time in on it to be 100% sure.

I went to the Pinball Gallery http://www.pinballgallery.net/ to give it some test plays and try out MMR and get some more time in on the Hobbit, at the time Hobbit wasn't even on my radar anymore I just figured it would be a nice extra game to play while there.

With GB sitting right next to the Hobbit, there was no contest... within a few games I changed my mind and now have a Hobbit Black Arrow ordered... I may come back around and give it another chance, but when they are right next to each other, The Hobbit is just on a whole nother level.

I desperately wanted to love GB, more than the average person... it just isn't very lovable in pinball machine form.

#1480 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I hear you, man. I can't argue with that. I ran out of patience and I'm out of the Stern NIB game as well. Still can't answer to myself why I have a Dialed In on preorder...

Yeah....well....good luck! At least they're transparently testing it on location first before it goes into production. That's a good sign. Stern doesn't street test anymore, and I think that's one reason for their current problems. I could see myself buying another JJP...but it would most likely be used. I love Hobbit, but I never would have pre-ordered it and waited 3 or 4 years. I can't imagine buying NIB anymore, from anyone.

#1481 7 years ago

To be fair, the one thing I don't like about the Hobbit is the plunge. The hardest plunge is still weak, just enough to hit the target for the timed skill shot. I like various skill shots, but also like the default plunge of super fast where it typically whips around one of the orbits and back down to the flippers. You quickly get over that though. Maybe that was just the machine I was playing on.

#1482 7 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

To be fair, the one thing I don't like about the Hobbit is the plunge. The hardest plunge is still weak, just enough to hit the target for the timed skill shot. I like various skill shots, but also like the default plunge of super fast where it typically whips around one of the orbits and back down to the flippers. You quickly get over that though. Maybe that was just the machine I was playing on.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen on my game and adjusted the plunger a bit. I really like how The Hobbit has multiple true skill shots with each offering different point values depending on what you hit. It's a very unique feature and a welcomed addition when most modern games have skill shots that are just lane light changes or holding the flipper button in to then to hit a shot with the flippers.

7 months later
#1483 6 years ago

So what pin was better in the long run?

#1484 6 years ago

This one is unfair. I have both. So I would have to say both. But if I had to pick one it would be GB. But I'm not happy you made me choose.

#1485 6 years ago

GB isn't that bad, I enjoy playing it. But hobbit is a better game - honestly the modes, music, sound, and journey is much more satisfying to play

2 months later
#1486 6 years ago

I just caught up with this thread and now have a real opinion. Admittedly I have only played gb pro and on location (multiple) but I will no longer play that game. Even if it’s free. I’d rather play nothing. Too cheap and frustrating.

Hobbit on the other hand, I really enjoy. I own it but it’s at my brothers house so I don’t play that often. Much more enjoyable for me every time.

#1487 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I just caught up with this thread and now have a real opinion. Admittedly I have only played gb pro and on location (multiple) but I will no longer play that game. Even if it’s free. I’d rather play nothing. Too cheap and frustrating.
Hobbit on the other hand, I really enjoy. I own it but it’s at my brothers house so I don’t play that often. Much more enjoyable for me every time.

I feel the same way. I owned a GB pro and sold it. Never personally owened the Hobbit but every time I have a chance I play it. I have NO interest for GB at this time.

Long term Hobbit by a mile!!!

#1488 6 years ago

Totally different games. I own both. Ghostbusters gets more play and enjoyment. Hobbit is a pretty game, but that is pretty much where it ends.
I will be selling it... maybe at TPF.

#1489 6 years ago

It's all about personal taste imo the Stern looks so good I would have to give it to Ghostbusters but they are both excellent games.

#1490 6 years ago

Played 4 GBs (mix of pro and premiums) in the wild and it always leaves me cold. TH is a different game, an epic adventure.

#1491 6 years ago

I see NIB Smaugs not moving at 7500....... Kinda tells the story right there as that is a 9k game.

#1492 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I see NIB Smaugs not moving at 7500....... Kinda tells the story right there as that is a 9k game.

That's a great deal!!

#1493 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

That's a great deal!!

Mint smaugs having trouble selling at 6600 so I would say that isn't a great deal. Now is the time to but TH optics are crazy

#1494 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

That's a great deal!!

If your looking for one Bob Butch from Hellertown has that one ..... he may even bend a few bucks off that price. Give him a hollar.

#1495 6 years ago

I'll say this as an owner and fan of both a Ghostbusters Premium and Hobbit LE. Both games do an excellent job of using licensed assets in the game and creating a world under glass feeling. It seems like less and less newer games are accomplishing that on the level that GB and TH do. Ghostbusters features all of the main characters original audio from the films and also has custom callouts by Ernie Hudson. There are multiple interactive toys in GB premium / LE that really make the game stand out compared to pretty much all other recent Sterns.

The Hobbit goes even further then Ghostbusters in terms of using licensed assets as there are over 30 unique crafted modes that use licensed video and audio extremely well. What JJP was able to pull off by incorporating all 3 Hobbit films into the game at a high level of quality is very impressive. The Hobbit is not a game where movie clips are just playing with shots. David Thiel did a remarkable job with audio and sound editing for the individual book and multiball modes. Also, the game features over 30 custom tracks by Two Steps From Hell which I believe has lead to the game having the best custom music package in pinball. The game will only get better once its final wizard mode is in the game.

#1496 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Hobbit goes even further then Ghostbusters in terms of using licensed assets as there are over 30 unique crafted modes

30 modes, yes. Unique, not really.

They are mostly all hitting targets or ramps. Just change which one in which order, and BINGO, you've got a new mode.

#1497 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

30 modes, yes. Unique, not really.
They are mostly all hitting targets or ramps. Just change which one in which order, and BINGO, you've got a new mode.

That statement can describe any pinball machines rules as the layout never changes...

I've never seen as much variety in modes as offered in the Hobbit. Some modes have you hitting ramps, other beast mechs, others hitting certain shots to lower the beast mechs to open up a shot, another loading the kickback and having to time a button press to hit a set of drop targets across the playfield, others hitting a beast mech and then orbits. Also, Smaug MB, and the 3 Arkenstone wizard modes all have multiple stages, with each stage having its own set of modes.

Again, great variety.

#1498 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That statement can describe any pinball machines rules as the layout never changes..

Yes, but the Hobbit layout is the problem.

Games with more interesting layouts don't suffer the same fate.

Plus piling on 30+ modes just exacerbates the lack of shot variety, making it feel worse.

#1499 6 years ago

just had my best game to date on my GB Prem. Went through every mode except "Back Off Man I'm a Scientist"

Didn't even realize you can get to "we came we saw we kicked..." twice (I am not sure, but guessing after I finished StayPuff and a 2nd time after I finished Ballroom) Ended up with 10,449,370,000! So much fun!!! Oh yeah, Hobbit sucks, traded it for my STLE and haven't missed it for a single second (that was about 1 year ago)

#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

just had my best game to date on my GB Prem. Went through every mode except "Back Off Man I'm a Scientist"
Didn't even realize you can get to "we came we saw we kicked..." twice (I am not sure, but guessing after I finished StayPuff and a 2nd time after I finished Ballroom) Ended up with 10,449,370,000! So much fun!!! Oh yeah, Hobbit sucks, traded it for my STLE and haven't missed it for a single second (that was about 1 year ago)

Might I ask what about Hobbit you do not like?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 103.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
Plastics
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe
Toppers
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vs-hobbit-poll-please-be-tasteful-in-the-comments/page/30?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.