Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

All,

Any chance of a Ghostbusters vault anytime relatively soon ? Any rumors of this ?

#2 3 years ago

I haven’t heard any rumors. George Gomez just discussed vaults on Franchi’s podcast and the discussion centered on LOTR. I think the demand for LOTR is probably greater at this point and Gomez said demand and secondary market prices are key considerations when deciding what pins to vault. I’d also say LOTR and GB probably have similar licensing challenges with them both being needed to be renewed. With that being said, you never know.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Gomez said demand and secondary market prices are key considerations when deciding what pins to vault.

If that’s the case wouldn’t Tron be a better candidate.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

If that’s the case wouldn’t Tron be a better candidate.

Not necessarily. I think there is less demand for Tron than LOTR. I also said - With they being said, you never know...

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbigdoggf:

All,
    Any chance of a Ghostbusters vault anytime relatively soon ? Any rumors of this ?

Sure I’d bet they are dying to put more royalty money into John Trudeau’s pockets. He’s a very popular guy over there.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sure I’d bet they are dying to put more royalty money into John Trudeau’s pockets. He’s a very popular guy over there.

Yeah but you have to wonder how his rights to any royalties or other compensation may have been altered as a result of the legal mess. My guess is he was terminated “for cause” and with that termination lost all rights to any further compensation.

#7 3 years ago

Can't know secondary prices without having an eye on Pinside. That's kind of interesting that Pinside has such an impact on what Stern decisions get made.

#8 3 years ago

I guess if prices increase on some pins, like LoTR, they have to ask themselves why aren’t they getting a piece of that market.

#9 3 years ago

some of this has already been addressed in a podcast. so here is an issue that can prevent a vault. boards. Stern has tons of current spike systems. if there are not any whitestar boards around or what ever board and it cost more than the current boards to reproduce then financially its a no go. Gomez did say that vaults can be ported over to the new spike system. That makes plenty of since. way less to produce, boards are already around. its just the porting and licensing. will they upgrade it for the better display? dont know. Will people bitch either way... yes lol

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Yeah but you have to wonder how his rights to any royalties or other compensation may have been altered as a result of the legal mess. My guess is he was terminated “for cause” and with that termination lost all rights to any further compensation.

Trudeau is a boat anchor around this entire project’s neck. Nobody wants to be reminded of that.

They’re enough Ghostbusters out there don’t see why this needs a vault.

#11 3 years ago

Hopefully never. Why remake the worst game ever made in the history of the known universe? If you go dumpster diving, you should be able to find a couple.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Trudeau is a boat anchor around this entire project’s neck. Nobody wants to be reminded of that.
    They’re enough Ghostbusters out there don’t see why this needs a vault.

I agree. It wasn’t my question, it was the OPs.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Good point - Can't argue this.

Chances are no and unlikely ever for GB vault.

#14 3 years ago

Tron and LOTR are no brainer Vault editions for Stern.

#15 3 years ago

A GB Vault Edition with LCD screen and footage from the 1984 movie would be something I would buy in a heartbeat (though I’ve owned a GB LE and was pretty much fed up after a while and sold it)

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from lamihh:

A GB Vault Edition with LCD screen and footage from the 1984 movie would be something I would buy in a heartbeat (though I’ve owned a GB LE and was pretty much fed up after a while and sold it)

A GB Vault would probably have the flipper gap decreased, I thought Dwight was fooling a comment like that a year ago, just a WAG it seemed on his part at the time.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from lamihh:

A GB Vault Edition with LCD screen and footage from the 1984 movie would be something

Yeah thats the only way I'm buying a vault from Stern. After the great games with LCDs I think I'm done with the DMD era. Then again I've owned most of them and had my time. What I would love is for Stern to redo some of the classics. Quicksilver, Stargazer etc. At a decent price as well which is unlikely but who knows.

#19 3 years ago

Hey you never know. New UV play field w lighting and a Stern issued play field fix kit.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Just curious - does anyone know for certain to begin with that the employees of Stern are compensated via a royalty structure? Or is this just speculation/assumption?

Most companies that produce technology like this would never have such a deal. Basically everyone wants a "work for hire" model and in some cases they will offer large bonuses for sales and things but would not have a contract in which future production could be held up or hindered by royalties to anyone other than the owner of the Ghostbusters IP itself.

I'm just curious if this is all speculation or if people here know for sure whether some of the "better known" game designers have negotiated extra special deals in their employment contracts.

#21 3 years ago

Also - people can say "never gonna happen" all they want. Stern runs a business. If there is demand and profit to be made in another run (and if they can secure the license rights from the Ghostbusters IP owner) they will do it some day.

Anecdotally my opinion is that there are many games ahead of Ghostbusters which would have more demand for Stern... but there is a lot of insider information no one on here has. For example, if Stern has 99% of the parts needed for Ghostbusters in a warehouse it might make sense to kick off 500 machines when the assembly line is otherwise slow.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

With half of Hollywood and a good many of our government and CEOs being pedos and riding the Lolita express he should be in good company.

#23 3 years ago

What is a vault edition?

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Also - people can say "never gonna happen" all they want. Stern runs a business. If there is demand and profit to be made in another run (and if they can secure the license rights from the Ghostbusters IP owner) they will do it some day.
    Anecdotally my opinion is that there are many games ahead of Ghostbusters which would have more demand for Stern... but there is a lot of insider information no one on here has. For example, if Stern has 99% of the parts needed for Ghostbusters in a warehouse it might make sense to kick off 500 machines when the assembly line is otherwise slow.

Yep. When they need to fill in between licensing deals with new machines anything can be redone to keep moving games.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from GamesbyAPK:

What is a vault edition?

When Stern reruns a game, for example Iron Man has a vault edition.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from GamesbyAPK:

What is a vault edition?

Terminology Stern used when they took a game that was long out of production - and did a re-run.

Stern usually has a catalog of games they can decide to run in batches... based on demand they will run games from that catalogto fill orders or fill presumed demand. But eventually a game is 'retired' and is taken out of the production catalog.

Vault is when they go back to an older game and decide to re-run it. In past examples, they have often added minor improvements/modernization as well.

Stern blurred the lines a bit recently with Star Trek.. which really wasn't that far out of production and decided to run more.

#27 3 years ago

Just curious - does anyone know for certain to begin with that the employees of Stern are compensated via a royalty structure? Or is this just speculation/assumption?

Historically, pinball designers DON"T get any royalties or residual payments. For instance, Brian Eddy talked about how he sees no money from the CGC Remakes. Now, I don't know specifically how it works at Stern, but I would highly doubt that anyone who worked on GB would see additional money for a Vault. Only the licensor would get any extra cash.

It seems unlikely to me that Gary decided to cut his designers in on cash royalties, when that hasn't been the historic precedent, and when he was the only game in town for over a decade.

#28 3 years ago

Most companies that produce technology like this would never have such a deal. Basically everyone wants a "work for hire" model and in some cases they will offer large bonuses for sales and things but would not have a contract in which future production could be held up or hindered by royalties to anyone other than the owner of the Ghostbusters IP itself.
    I'm just curious if this is all speculation or if people here know for sure whether some of the "better known" game designers have negotiated extra special deals in their employment contracts.

I think it's very unlikely that game designers have royalty deals.

If they made enough changes to the game (lcd, flipper gap, more code updates) they could try to recredit the game design on whoever leads the revamp and further distance themselves from Trudeau. Not that I think it matters. How many Roman Polanski movies got made and won awards after 1978? People are hypocrites with this stuff. Trudeau was just one guy of many working on what turned out to be a great game. I'm not going to hate the game because he's a sleaze bag.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

With half of Hollywood and a good many of our government and CEOs being pedos and riding the Lolita express he should be in good company.

“I wish her well”

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I think it's very unlikely that game designers have royalty deals.

LMAO!!

Anybody want to tell him?

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO!!
    Anybody want to tell him?

Tell me what?

#32 3 years ago

They never officially stopped making Ghostbusters as far as I know. There were reports of batches rolling off the line as late as last fall.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Historically, pinball designers DON"T get any royalties or residual payments. For instance, Brian Eddy talked about how he sees no money from the CGC Remakes. Now, I don't know specifically how it works at Stern, but I would highly doubt that anyone who worked on GB would see additional money for a Vault. Only the licensor would get any extra cash.
    It seems unlikely to me that Gary decided to cut his designers in on cash royalties, when that hasn't been the historic precedent, and when he was the only game in town for over a decade.

I am too lazy to look it up, but didn't Dennis Nordman get some kind of royal royalty screwing on Woah Nellie?

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Tell me what?

They get royalties. At least the old school guys.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

As with everyone, your work belongs to the company you work for, even the patents. I think Brian Eddy received a patent (owned by Williams license holder now I guess) for the ramp design on Medieval Madness.

Same for the guy that invented the catalytic converter and the guy that invented intermittent wipers, IP owned by their company. In the latter case, didn't they make a movie with Greg Kinnear starring about how his life was eaten up by pursuing lawsuits? If I remember, he won a huge settlement but thought he wasted his life in pursuit of it.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They get royalties. At least the old school guys.

I think that's going against the consensus here.

I work for a company that makes royalty management software. I don't know anything about Stern's contracts, but I would guess they aren't doing any kind of per game royalties. For one, they're probably not a big enough company to justify the overhead of processing those kinds of royalties, or even if they are, they don't strike me as being organized enough. I also think we'd be hearing more solid production numbers for each game if royalty statements were going out to any stakeholders.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I work for a company that makes royalty management software. I don't know anything about Stern's contracts, but I would guess they aren't doing any kind of per game royalties. For one, they're probably not a big enough company to justify the overhead of processing those kinds of royalties, or even if they are, they don't strike me as being organized enough. I also think we'd be hearing more solid production numbers for each game if royalty statements were going out to any stakeholders.

You can guess all you want. The old school guys - like JT - get royalties on games just like they did at Williams. These are not people who embrace change.

It’s pretty irrelevant anyway. People just continue to dismiss the fact that nobody at stern wants to revisit ghostbusters. Why would they want to relive the worst personnel episode in company history, when they can just move on to the next game?

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I wouldn't be surprised if they have milestone incentive bonus money coming to key people after having their game sell a certain number of copies. And I would imagine that is only active while they are employed by Stern.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can guess all you want. The old school guys - like JT - get royalties on games just like they did at Williams. These are not people who embrace change.
    It’s pretty irrelevant anyway. People just continue to dismiss the fact that nobody at stern wants to revisit ghostbusters. Why would they want to relive the worst personnel episode in company history, when they can just move on to the next game?

I distinctly remember Dwight saying he'd love to vault the game on the big code update stream last year... So there's that. Those kind of statements exist. They don't seem to be trying to throw the game under the rug to me.

#40 3 years ago

If the 2021 film does well, it might incentivize Stern to consider it.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Terminology Stern used when they took a game that was long out of production - and did a re-run.
    Stern usually has a catalog of games they can decide to run in batches... based on demand they will run games from that catalogto fill orders or fill presumed demand. But eventually a game is 'retired' and is taken out of the production catalog.
    Vault is when they go back to an older game and decide to re-run it. In past examples, they have often added minor improvements/modernization as well.
    Stern blurred the lines a bit recently with Star Trek.. which really wasn't that far out of production and decided to run more.

It's stupid, in my opinion. The vault moniker, I mean. Stern ran TSPP off and on from 2003 to 2010 and never called any run a vault. It was just another run of games.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

If the 2021 film does well, it might incentivize Stern to consider it.

I read that the new film was not good, but who knows. It has to be better than the last attempt. If the ever open theatres, though Ill be surprised.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I read that the new film was not good, but who knows. It has to be better than the last attempt. If the ever open theatres, though Ill be surprised.

Aw, man. It's way too early to dash my hopes like that!

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

Aw, man. It's way too early to dash my hopes like that!

IF I allow myself to start going to the movies I will see it just because it is GB. IF.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbigdoggf:

All,

Yes, there have been rumors of vaults for both ghostbusters and tron for quite some time now, but they've never been made. The same old rumors keep circulating over the years, but they've never ended up being true. If there was already large demand for these titles years ago, and yet stern did not make them, it would lead me to believe that it is sadly going to stay that way. Don't lose hope, though. Unexpected things can happen unexpectedly.

#46 3 years ago

Normally yes.

Not in this case.
    The designer messed up too badly (yes - even naming him would be too respectful).

#47 3 years ago

GB has a bunch of issues that need to be addressed for the vault to sell in meaningful numbers..airballs, flipper gap, linear rule set.....

#48 3 years ago

The licensing will be denied from that aberrant slob being connected to that machine. They will have to revamp the machine like Deadpool.

#49 3 years ago

Clearly the code was revisited and updated much more faster than Kiss if I'm not mistaken. It wasn't left out there code wise with Dwight's update.
    Forget the legacy about the game. Make a new batch of Premiums with the new code, make it less aggravating to play with out of box play field fixes
    and increase the fun factor!

#50 3 years ago

A new batch of Premium machines was made last July for Australia...I am still trying to track down the post from last fall where someone was on a tour and saw new pros being built. Stern has never announced on social media that GB was no longer being made, like they did for Metallica and others.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-vault-edition?hl=jandrea95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.