• Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220721_224856 (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I'm having trouble getting high scores on Ghostbusters. I've been playing 1.04, will be playing 1.05 soon.

I usually try to play the first few modes, up through ballroom. Then I start multiball. I try to hit the ghost target to light more ghosts around the playfield, but I haven't been able to collect more than 60 in a game.

Anyone have any tips for me?

#2 7 years ago

From Pintips.net:

"We came, we saw" mini wizard is started by finishing a tree of modes. Left scoop=2 modes, while left ramp=3 modes and right loop=4 modes.
general by LOTR_breath

Agree on left rollover. Put the blue arrow on the left scoop. If you miss the lane, miss it long and try for the left scoop to start a mode.
general by LOTR_breath

Ball save may not activate on a soft plunge if no switches hit. You can drain, giving you another chance at the skillshot. Or extra BS time.
skillshot by xtra_ball

Select the left rollover (P). Seems to be the easiest to consistently hit, and gives you +5x bonus each time, which can result in big points
skillshot by xtra_ball

#3 7 years ago

Bonus's multiplyer and bonus held are big points on good scorring games. Also multiball gets the score up fast. Modes can score decently but using the pke lanes and the bumpers to get the bonus multiplier up to X10+ and held is key.

#4 7 years ago

What's the best way to get to Mass Hysteria?

#5 7 years ago

Flood the available drinking water supply in your town with a few trillion micrograms of ozly microdots! Do it every time!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Flood the available drinking water supply in your town with a few trillion micrograms of ozly microdots! Do it every time!

Love this type of humor....

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Real mature it is

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

What's the best way to get to Mass Hysteria?

In short, kill more ghosts...

I basically play through a ladder of modes ensuring your final shot is always in thsame ladder so it starts the next mode rung. When i don't have a mode enabled i am shooting left side captive balls and starting multiball. Ideally multi stacks with a further up mode for bigger points and a 2x or 3x multiplier also. During multi kill lots of ghosts. A good multi will bring you 60 ghosts. 2 multis and you should make mass hysteria.

#9 7 years ago

Is the only way to get Bonus Held from Tobin's spirit guide?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

Is the only way to get Bonus Held from Tobin's spirit guide?

No, you can also get it as a random award from the pop bumpers.

I had fun playing the latest code on location today

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#11 7 years ago

I was able to get an 18X bonus worth around 300,000. Still couldn't crack 80 ghosts.

1 month later
#12 7 years ago

A few tips off the top of my head...

1. Play your modes. Some of them can be exceedingly valuable as far as points are concerned. In conjunction with modes, pay attention to those playfield multipliers. You can get it up to 6X, I believe, which can be huge. If you're having trouble beating a mode, stacking it with a multiball can make things a little easier; modes will continue during any multiball mode.

2. Always make sure you get skill shots. They are worth 10% of your score, usually being in the upwards of tens or hundreds of millions for me. Essentially, as you play the game, you're constantly building your skill shot value. An easy skill shot for me personally is the right "Who Brought the Dog?" orbit-- hold the left flipper and plunge all the way so the ball can bypass the "P-K-E" lanes and loop around the game. Then, I try to get control of the ball and make the right orbit. It's a pretty easy shot to make for me. Skill shots with the mode inserts in front of it will also start modes, so if you constantly make skill shots you won't have to worry as much with shooting for the dangerous Slimer to light them normally.

3. Watch your ghost count. Collecting enough ghosts will enable certain high-scoring features, including "Loopin' Supers", "PKE Frenzy" and -- finally -- "Mass Hysteria" multiball at 100. The first two modes are especially huge scoring opportunities and shouldn't be missed.

4. Go for Storage Facility locks. Just like what you said you've been doing. The captive ball must be hit once to light lock, then once again during a sliver of time to light the lock. Collecting enough ghosts also light locks for you, but if you're having trouble collecting ghosts then I wouldn't rely on that-- captive ball seems better.

3 years later
#13 3 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

Real mature it is

really? ur talking sheet about maturity on a pinball forum? where adults are strung out on pinball? sounds like u need to drop a hit or smoke a joint. and yeah yeah I know it’s an old post I don’t care it’s still came up near the top of Google when inquiring about ghostbusters.. real mature he says

2 years later
#14 1 year ago

I realize I'm resurrecting a very old thread but I figured this might be the best place to ask: if you do NOT hit your skill shot for the playfield multipliers and need to the left side captive ball to light them, what else is required to qualify the 2x and 3x standups?

I can't seem to find anything other than just "get them lit" or "hit the skill shot". There's talk on tiltforums of hitting the PKE standups but the top PKEs are rollovers. Do I need to complete the PKE rollovers to light the captive ball for "Light Playfield Multipliers", and *then* hit the standups?

thanks!

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Biju:

I realize I'm resurrecting a very old thread but I figured this might be the best place to ask: if you do NOT hit your skill shot for the playfield multipliers and need to the left side captive ball to light them, what else is required to qualify the 2x and 3x standups?
I can't seem to find anything other than just "get them lit" or "hit the skill shot". There's talk on tiltforums of hitting the PKE standups but the top PKEs are rollovers. Do I need to complete the PKE rollovers to light the captive ball for "Light Playfield Multipliers", and *then* hit the standups?
thanks!

I believe it's just hitting the Gears standup bank (or maybe the captive ball, as another option?), and specifically after a 1+ left ramp shots, before your Gear award times out. The first time you hit a Gear award will light the 2x PF standup solid (ready to start 2x), and the 2nd time you hit the standup bank will light the 3x PF standup solid.

Last step, is hit each of those now-solidly-lit standups on either side of the left ramp to begin 2x/3x/6x scoring.
Profit!

4 weeks later
#16 1 year ago

I played on the Premium model of the machine on my Xbox. What you would want to do in my opinion is to start off by hitting the right orbit skillshot and start "Okay, who brought the dog?" Then clear modes as fast as possible and progress towards storage facility multiball. Don't activate it until Stay Puft, Back off, man, or the ballroom. If you're playing Stay Puft, build up the multipliers by shooting Gozer. You want at least 3x or 4x.

The highest multiplier I got is 6x, I believe. Then, activate Storage Facility, and keep the multiball alive until you clear Stay Puft, or whatever mode you're on before the wizard mode. If you have to keep the multiball active for a long time, you should expect to activate Mass Hysteria, which activates a multiball stack. (My favorite!)

Then, once you clear Stay Puft, shoot up the ramp and start a wizard mode. You'll have a Triple Multiball Stack if you do this, and you can proceed to decimate the playfield. If you have 6x playfield active too, as well as a Double Looping Super, which if you play "We're ready to believe you", give you two super jackpots in one shot from the wizard mode and the 60 ghosts, you can also expect your scoring to be overpowered. If you have a very high score late in your run, go for the additional 10% of your score. That will up your score by 20%, making this the most overpowered shot in the game. Hope this helps you have the best run you've ever had!

1 week later
#17 1 year ago
Quoted from WayneZ0207:

If you're playing Stay Puft, build up the multipliers by shooting Gozer. You want at least 3x or 4x.
The highest multiplier I got is 6x, I believe.

I forgot to mention that while it is important to take risks and go for the bigger multipliers, you don't want to get greedy while trying to build them up. Eventually, you will need to shoot for a mode multiplier or the game ends the mode without giving you a chance to score anything for Stay Puft. This happened on my most recent run last night when I was about to get 7x. If you have multiball lit in that situation, like me, the chances are that you might only have the middle modes left to partake in and you have to take the multiball first, leaving you to do a multiball without a mode. It's by far, one of the worst situations you can find yourself in. And I'm also going to quote @Phbooms.

Quoted from Phbooms:

Modes can score decently but using the pke lanes and the bumpers to get the bonus multiplier up to X10+ and held is key.

You should always make sure to get to 20X bonus and get bonus holds constantly. This can turn your bonus from a few million to a whopping few billion of you can get plenty of extra balls and keep earning bonus holds. 6X playfield also helps a bunch. This will rake in what many pinball players consider profit, or, in my own words, massive damage. I am also going to show you the score I got from my latest run playing the pinball machine on my Xbox. I wound up getting 111 billion.
20220721_224856 (resized).jpg20220721_224856 (resized).jpg

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from WayneZ0207:

Then, once you clear Stay Puft, shoot up the ramp and start a wizard mode. You'll have a Triple Multiball Stack if you do this, and you can proceed to decimate the playfield.

I didn't think that the We Came We Saw mini-wizard for any of the 3 shot trees (in this case, the R orbit) was eligible to start until you'd dropped back down into single-ball play. In other words, I don't recall the L ramp ever being lit for WCWS if you're already in Storage Facility, Mass Hysteria, or a Storage/Hysteria stack.

Did you find a sweet sweet bug/exploit?

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I didn't think that the We Came We Saw mini-wizard for any of the 3 shot trees (in this case, the R orbit) was eligible to start until you'd dropped back down into single-ball play. In other words, I don't recall the L ramp ever being lit for WCWS if you're already in Storage Facility, Mass Hysteria, or a Storage/Hysteria stack.

Snailman You bet I did. I currently have the world record on Ghostbusters. Feel free to attempt to beat it. You'll need fast fingers and utilize all exploits that you find. If you attempt it, be my guest, and good luck. If you beat it, I will be very impressed. Don't blame yourself if you can't. It took me a lot of practice to beat the former. I've been waiting for someone to beat my record for a long time. I have faith you'll do just that.

P.S: The record is 162 billion. I got a bigger score, but on the Xbox, I activated a game-breaking glitch in we're ready to believe you where the balls are stuck and every other one had drained. On the Xbox, you could call the attendant if the ball is stuck, and the game will reset the ball's position. In the situation I was in, the game didn't recognize that, and I was forced to quit and lose all of my progress.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Snailman:

You can't and that game was dramatically changed in Dwight's last update in 2019 all those modes and exploits nerfed! I'm actually not sure this dude has played pinball if you look at his collection it's all the free games off the pinball arcade app. If he's giving advice on Ghostbusters video game than even that is moot because the digital version on the pinball arcade was never updated..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-strategy?hl=tiltboss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.