Ghostbusters Screaming?

By mrossman5

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just got to play a nice Ghostbusters on location in a big arcade. Just started a game and put it into the right hole. Game went black and a ghost(?) came on the dmd and the game made a screaming sound at full volume, and it was REALLY loud. Attracted some unwanted attention, but it was pretty cool. Why did it do this? Didn’t seem like I did anything important.

#2 5 years ago

It’s a scare feature in the settings. No impact to the game other than startling you.

#3 5 years ago

Every...single....time...it goes off in my basement I almost have a heart attack and die. I love it lol. We need more fun things like that in pinball.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

It’s a scare feature in the settings. No impact to the game other than startling you.

Quoted from Ericc123:

Every...single....time...it goes off in my basement I almost have a heart attack and die. I love it lol. We need more fun things like that in pinball.

Very cool! Thanks.

#5 5 years ago

I had it happen on location not that long ago and a much younger kid(I imagine he was 6-7 or so) was playing the game next to me and he FREAKED out, ran away from his game and started crying to his Dad. It is ridiculously loud. I love it myself but would be nice to be be able to tone it down a hair if you so chose to.

#6 5 years ago

I thought it was cool maybe the first five times. Now it's disabled thru menu settings. It's just obnoxiously loud and my dog gets up and goes upstairs. If she could flip me off, she would.

#7 5 years ago

Note, do NOT turn the machine off mid-scream. It accomplishes the loud scream by literally changing the volume in the settings, then putting them back when it's done. If you turn it off in the middle, your volume will be maxed out when you turn the machine back on and you'll have to manually reset it.

#8 5 years ago

it seems to do it about once an hour (if enabled). it raises the volume to 10 for that scream no matter what volume level you have the game set to. i agree with Ericc123 -- it's hilarious and unique, but i understand people disabling it after a while in a home setting.

#9 5 years ago

I turn it on if I have someone new to playing come over. It is funny to see their reaction the first time. After that first time, it's something I can do without.

#10 5 years ago

Not a fan of it. Every location I've had it at wants it shut off.

#11 5 years ago

You may just ship your pants. Lol

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

). it raises the volume to 10 for that scream no matter what volume level you have the game set to

Mine goes to 11.

#13 5 years ago

First thing I disabled on mine.

1 week later
#14 5 years ago

Now that I think about it, it would be really cool for the scream to go off once you get to the wizard mode, and then do something similar to WH20’s vacation jackpot (going absolutely insane). Would make more sense than just going off randomly at unsuspecting players every hour.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Would make more sense than just going off randomly at unsuspecting players every hour.

Yeah but then you know when it's coming...kind of defeats the whole purpose of haunting/scaring you...whether you think it's cool or not.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah but then you know when it's coming...kind of defeats the whole purpose of haunting/scaring you...whether you think it's cool or not.

I don't think it scares you, when it goes quiet and gives you time to cover your ears everytime before the actual scream.

#17 5 years ago

Almost lost a location because of this scream on GB. I wasn't aware of this feature when first installing the game and it kept going off randomly and the location owner was pissed. It is a cool idea and I'd love this as a feature on a game in my own personal game collection, but I can't have it activated on location. Would be better for operators if the Stern's default factory setting was off, and you had to turn this feature on.

6 months later
#18 4 years ago

I haven't tried to adjust this yet, but is there any way to set switch this off at certain hours. I like the feature, but I don't need to go off when I sneak downstairs at night to play when others a sleeping. Ideally mine would only go off between the hours of 10am and 8pm, or something like that.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I haven't tried to adjust this yet, but is there any way to set switch this off at certain hours. I like the feature, but I don't need to go off when I sneak downstairs at night to play when others a sleeping. Ideally mine would only go off between the hours of 10am and 8pm, or something like that.

Nope, on or off.

#20 4 years ago

Sounds like a job for the Stern editor (I forget what it's called)... take the sample; re-normalize the volume about 10 octaves down and replace it in the binary.

#21 4 years ago

When I first got this game I left it on out in the family room when I was home alone. It went off when I was 2 rooms away at about 1am. It scared the living shit outta me!

#22 4 years ago

I really enjoy the screaming but can see how it would get annoying in your home after it happens a few times.

#23 4 years ago

The scream tends to go off every 35 or 40 plays. Every time it goes off, it makes the hair on my arms stand. I love it It's fun when unsuspecting guests come over and play. Scared the shit out of a bunch of people

#24 4 years ago

If you’re fast enough on the flippers you can cancel the scream. You have to hit both flippers at the same time, right at the beginning of the sequence, boom no scream. I manage it about 50% of the time. Good luck .

#25 4 years ago

One of my very first games ever playing ghostbusters and the scream happened to me.
It actually startled me. And afterwards I just thought it was really cool.
Then... It really didn't happen too much to me the next few times that I played it.
Now, someone brought a ghostbusters to MGC. After I put up a monster game on it, I moved to the next machine(as its packed and I never camp when its crowded), and a young kid got on the machine after me. I was on the machine next to it as it was free. And the scream occurred.
I watched the whole thing from the corner of my eye.
The kids reaction was priceless. And his father was right behind him, and chuckled at his kids response as well. I think me and him shared a nod and a slight laugh ourselves. Really cool to witness the scream when you know its coming.
Can it get old... Sure... But, can't most things.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

One of my very first games ever playing ghostbusters and the scream happened to me.
It actually startled me. And afterwards I just thought it was really cool.
Then... It really didn't happen too much to me the next few times that I played it.
Now, someone brought a ghostbusters to MGC. After I put up a monster game on it, I moved to the next machine(as its packed and I never camp when its crowded), and a young kid got on the machine after me. I was on the machine next to it as it was free. And the scream occurred.
I watched the whole thing from the corner of my eye.
The kids reaction was priceless. And his father was right behind him, and chuckled at his kids response as well. I think me and him shared a nod and a slight laugh ourselves. Really cool to witness the scream when you know its coming.
Can it get old... Sure... But, can't most things.

Coffee, Jack Daniel's, and sleeping in on Saturday never get old. The scream, on the other hand, got old after a week.

#27 4 years ago

anyone have this one video? I never witnessed it

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

anyone have this one video? I never witnessed it

Here’s one from a DeadFlip stream a few years ago.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SteamyNurturingWatermelonCurseLit

#29 4 years ago

Absolutely hate it. Dumbest thing ever. It's like Stern was just looking for ways to make the game more unpleasant.

#30 4 years ago

Absolutely love it. Coolest thing ever. It's like Stern was just looking for ways to make the game more fun.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Absolutely hate it. Dumbest thing ever. It's like Stern was just looking for ways to make the game more unpleasant.

Quoted from knightgdg:

Absolutely love it. Coolest thing ever. It's like Stern was just looking for ways to make the game more fun.

Absolutely think it's okay. Okayiest thing ever? It's like Stern was just looking for ways to make games with an optional feature which can be turned off or on based on your own personal taste

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Absolutely think it's okay. Okayiest thing ever? It's like Stern was just looking for ways to make games with an optional feature which can be turned off or on based on your own personal taste

You can't turn it off when one is on location and you are playing a game near it. If hearing loud screams is fun to you then fantastic. Maybe in the next game, they can have random airhorns, police sirens, thunder booms, or other fun sounds to surprise you.

#33 4 years ago

Love it.....Yesterday my wife played and it went off 4 times. She wanted me to disable it, but I won't and it's PRICELESS!

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Love it.....Yesterday my wife played and it went off 4 times. She wanted me to disable it, but I won't and it's PRICELESS!

Don't blame you! It's one of the most risque features on a machine. You're either going to love it, or hate it

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It's pretty horrible and I cannot believe "on" is the default setting.

Wouldn't be surprised if it has helped cost pinball more than one location.

"Get that thing and everything else like it out of my bar please!"

1 week later
#36 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's pretty horrible and I cannot believe "on" is the default setting.
Wouldn't be surprised if it has helped cost pinball more than one location.
"Get that thing and everything else like it out of my bar please!"

Yes. Remove fun in my bar at all costs! How dare you draw attention to extremely expensive amusement machines in my bar!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

Yes. Remove fun in my bar at all costs! How dare you draw attention to extremely expensive amusement machines in my bar!

Tons of bars that have machines are like this. I don't get the point of offering up the games, and muting the sound. Counterproductive. It's never an issue at Sunshine, or Jackbar.

#38 4 years ago

Hah, we were playing this at a barcade and that was the only sound you could actually hear.

1 week later
#39 4 years ago

So the first time that i experienced this blood curdling scream i was playing in my local airport. I was shocked and jumped and everyone stopped talking and stared at me. I was waiting for security to surround me. I guess i wasnt the first because no security came. The other pinball at the airport is addams family, also loud. But getting seance and knocking is another unpleasant sound to be making in a quiet airport. Again was waiting for security to surround me.

9 months later
#40 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You can't turn it off when one is on location and you are playing a game near it. If hearing loud screams is fun to you then fantastic. Maybe in the next game, they can have random airhorns, police sirens, thunder booms, or other fun sounds to surprise you.

Good grief. Lighten up Francis.

#41 4 years ago

I am so glad I sold my GB and picked up something else. The screaming got old, but the "ok, who brought the dog", reminded us of when our dog would show up about that time. Coyotes got him and we could just not play the game anymore. Just a personal thing for us, there was a lot about the game I did like before that, like the bumpers being so rewarding.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I am so glad I sold my GB and picked up something else. The screaming got old, but the "ok, who brought the dog", reminded us of when our dog would show up about that time. Coyotes got him and we could just not play the game anymore. Just a personal thing for us, there was a lot about the game I did like before that, like the bumpers being so rewarding.

Different strokes. It is one of my favorites and a long term keeper.

With the new code, it has 2-3 other call outs outside in that mode besides "okay, who brought the dog" btw.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Sorry to hear about your dog. That would suck.

2 months later
#44 3 years ago

Don't know why they didn't make this with it's own independent volume setting. Seem easy enough and not hard to imagine a vast number of people liking the feature but not at full volume. It would be great for a bar or arcade but almost anywhere else...? I love it before my kids bedtime, hate it after. The first time it happened to me was at night and I had to text neighbors not to call the fuzz!

#45 3 years ago

The screaming was fun at first, but got old fast. One reason I still do not miss that game being here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 103.00
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-screaming?hl=kinghebes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.