• 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tiesmasc
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GameCredits_(resized).jpg
Ghostbusters_Rulesheet_v1.11(150dpi-p1-20).pdf (PDF preview)
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

This thread will be for discussion, development, and distribution of a Ghostbusters Rulesheet.

This first post in the thread will always link to the latest version for easy reference.

The latest version is currently here --> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-rulesheet#post-3170045

#2 7 years ago

First draft of the rulesheet attached below in PDF format.

Note: I couldn't upload a high-res version so some images (namely the machine versions) got a little wonky.

#3 7 years ago

Awesome stuff

#4 7 years ago

Really helpful stuff. Thank you for putting this together.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for making this.

It looks great!!!

#6 7 years ago

This will be great as the game develops! Thanks!

#7 7 years ago

Bump - thanks for posting this!!

#8 7 years ago

Will it have rules for both pro & Prem/LE ?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Will it have rules for both pro & Prem/LE ?

That is my plan. And it already incorporates them (to the best of my ability from watching the dead flip stream).

#10 7 years ago

Looks awesome so far!! I should have mine this weekend and will pop the glass off and test lots of stuff out for the thread.

A few minor notes: default is to auto-adjust the number of ghosts for an Extra Ball as people either collect or don't collect it in games. It dropped as low as 36 on the table I was on when we were all doing horrendously and not cashing it in lol.

Spinner
The spinner can have its value increased by Tobin and Pop Bumper awards. The spinner can also have its level increased by a left orbit skill shot or a Pop Bumper award. I currently have no understanding of how this benefits you during play beyond scoring… I assume it will (if it doesn’t already) have something to do with how much you increase your super jackpot base value.

When you get to max level spinner it all goes to Super Jackpot value. It happened to me a few times and was not just a random Super Spinner pop award that I am aware of, I think it was level 4? You will see it on the DMD though as it switches over from regular points to spinning up the Super amount (rapidly!)

Wizard Mode part is not quite correct. "We're Ready To Believe You" is ALL 9 scenes. "We Came, We Saw..." is either 150 or 200 Ghosts by default? (might also auto-adjust like Extra Ball does by default?) "Are You A God?" is both of the previous + all of the gear + all of the hurry-ups? (not sure about the last part.)

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Looks awesome so far!! I should have mine this weekend and will pop the glass off and test lots of stuff out for the thread.

Thank you for the feedback and suggested changes. And help figuring things out with the glass off will be awesome!!!

I will update the rulesheet with this information for the next revision.

Quoted from tpir:

Wizard Mode part is not quite correct. "We're Ready To Believe You" is ALL 9 scenes. "We Came, We Saw..." is either 150 or 200 Ghosts by default? (might also auto-adjust like Extra Ball does by default?) "Are You A God?" is both of the previous + all of the gear + all of the hurry-ups? (not sure about the last part.)

Yes I was guessing as the how exactly "We're Ready to Believe You" and "Are You a God" got qualified. I'll list those as you have described.

Regarding "We Came, We Saw..." the rule card agrees with you... BUT on the Dead Flip video (

) at 1:44:22 he gets Back Off Man! with 90+ ghosts. Then gets 100 ghosts at 1:44:52 and stacks Mass Hysteria (which then stops accumulating ghosts) on top of this mode. Then at 1:45:23 he finished the mode and "We Came, We Saw..." starts blinking (and you can hear Dwight say "Oh you finished the mode, awesome. ... You've got a wizard mode ready on the left ramp... and then he hits the left ramp and starts that mode at 1:45:34. So that occurred at only 100 Ghosts. Also, previously (1:41:19) Jody makes a comment about almost having a ladder complete, Jack asks what that means, and dwight answers wizard mode. So I think the rule card is wrong on how to light We Came We Saw...

I'll put some comments in my working revision to double check how this is started and that it could be how you describe... but hopefully this can be answered soon. [Perhaps this could be one of the first things you test with the glass off... just complete the librarian ladder and avoid doing other things and see if WCWS is qualified or not?]

#12 7 years ago

I am wondering if WCWS is from getting a certain number of Jackpots or getting a Super during Mass Hysteria.

Either way I will be pulling the glass and checking out all the Wizard modes if someone doesn't post it before then (primarily because I know I will never ever get there in a million years from play and I am curious.)

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

I am wondering if WCWS is from getting a certain number of Jackpots or getting a Super during Mass Hysteria.
Either way I will be pulling the glass and checking out all the Wizard modes if someone doesn't post it before then (primarily because I know I will never ever get there in a million years from play and I am curious.)

We came, we saw... is awarded by completing all modes in one specific mode ladder, not all 9 modes (the instruction card is incorrect). For example, both Spooky Librarian and Back Off Man or We Got One, He Slimed Me and The Ballroom. Final mode in a specific mode ladder is always multistage and is a lot tougher to get through. We came, we saw starts as a 2 ball multiball. We you get to it and suck in it, Winston quotes, "We came, we saw...we got our asses kicked!"

#14 7 years ago

Very good stuff, thanks for putting it together

#15 7 years ago

Very cool, thanks for all the effort you put onto this.

#16 7 years ago

I thought that in Tobin’s Spirit Guide you had to double flip yourself to choose your award. So look at the book carefully, remember the order in which the items are listed and than double flip when the item that you want flashes by?

If not flipped, the game awards you one of the awards yourself?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

First draft of the rulesheet attached below in PDF format.

Note: I couldn't upload a high-res version so some images (namely the machine versions) got a little wonky.

I am not ready for this game yet but, damn man, that is some nice work there. This should be done by the company, IMHO, so I propose that you are now hired.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I thought that in Tobin’s Spirit Guide you had to double flip yourself to choose your award. So look at the book carefully, remember the order in which the items are listed and than double flip when the item that you want flashes by?
If not flipped, the game awards you one of the awards yourself?

I think the double flip just cancels the display... regardless you get all of the awards. This can be observed in the dead flip video referenced above (same game Jack gets WCWS another player gets PKE frenzy from the scoop and extra ball simultaneously I believe). Also see https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/photos/pb.136972659243.-2207520000.1462885872./10153990438274244/?type=3&theater (which Dwight wrote)... and be sure to look at the other pages near that link which I referenced heavily in creating this document.

#19 7 years ago

What are the various ways to light the scenes? So far I have noticed:

Pick one scene stack from skill shot
Completing Slimer
Completing an active scene

Are there more ways?

I guess the most direct question is how do you light scenes again if none are lit and the last one timed out? Slimer and that's it?

#20 7 years ago

To light scenes you must complete a scene, defeat Slimer, or get it through a Tobin award. (Perhaps also pop bumper award. Beyond that I've not found any other way...)

Skill shots at the beginning of a ball can also be used to start scenes (but they won't light them per se).

#21 7 years ago

I'm getting to the point where I have no idea how I want to plunge. Let's say I'm not touching the buttons and the scene start is on the right orbit. The spring is hard enough that short plunging is not a simple task. If I full plunge, I can often one-time it to the desired shot, but that's not very controlled. Dead bouncing puts it in the right outlane a lot of times, then you get a full autoplunge and are back to square one but without the ball save. Live catching is a little rough with the flippers angled down a decent amount from the factory, which I'm not changing because all of the others are like that. Holding the flipper up from a full plunge (like what we can from the cellar kickout on Whirlwind) gives a pretty big bounce.

I want to get up that 4-scene ladder, and it starts with a safe-ish strategy to getting things started on the plunge. Any thoughts?

Also, I've finished the second scene on the right side and all 3 scene shots are blinking. I can hit that right side shot 2-3 times and it doesn't start the scene. Does that 3rd scene have a different requirement to start? I haven't noticed a pattern, but have only done it a few times.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I'm getting to the point where I have no idea how I want to plunge. Let's say I'm not touching the buttons and the scene start is on the right orbit. The spring is hard enough that short plunging is not a simple task. If I full plunge, I can often one-time it to the desired shot, but that's not very controlled. Dead bouncing puts it in the right outlane a lot of times, then you get a full autoplunge and are back to square one but without the ball save. Live catching is a little rough with the flippers angled down a decent amount from the factory, which I'm not changing because all of the others are like that. Holding the flipper up from a full plunge (like what we can from the cellar kickout on Whirlwind) gives a pretty big bounce.
I want to get up that 4-scene ladder, and it starts with a safe-ish strategy to getting things started on the plunge. Any thoughts?

That setup sounds a bit brutal... on the game I play locally a full plunge with a dead bounce, held up flipper, or live catch are all possible. Also the kickouts from the left scoop and right saucer go directly to the opposite flipper and can also be caught or dead bounced.

Regarding your question on strategy: The first scenes on the other two ladders are extremely easy (librarian is easiest) so you can start there as well... and then just make sure to not go right into another mode with that scenes last shot... so you can then start on the right orbit scenes.

Quoted from desertT1:

Also, I've finished the second scene on the right side and all 3 scene shots are blinking. I can hit that right side shot 2-3 times and it doesn't start the scene. Does that 3rd scene have a different requirement to start? I haven't noticed a pattern, but have only done it a few times.

I thought only the 3rd scene would be blinking and the other two would be solid. Perhaps you didn't complete the 2nd scene. For that one you need to hit the left ramp to lock in a score and then hit each of the left orbit, left ramp, right orbit, and right ramp 1x.

Also, I've noticed that for starting scenes at the right orbit the shot has to to all the way around so it can be captured by the post... the shot will register when going through the gate but it won't start unless the ball gets all the way around.

#23 7 years ago

Hmm, maybe I hadn't finished yet. I thought I had, but either way, shouldn't the scene re-start when I hit that right orbit? I hit it 3 times almost in a row and never reacted.

#24 7 years ago

Could be a software bug? I believe I had the same thing happen with The Ballroom... completed all lit shots and then nothing else lit but it wouldn't end the mode until it timed out. (But that was 1.00 code).

FYI: A correction to my prior statement... for a skill shot start of scene to the right orbit just getting past the gate is enough. After that, when you are playing a mode if you the right orbit is your last shot getting it to the gate will end the mode (credit the shot) but it won't start the next mode unless it goes around past the PKE lanes.

Also just played a bit tonight and when the game doesn't register slimer hits it becomes a real drag b/c you can't complete some scenes and you can't then get scenes lit beside from skill shots.

Lastly, a potential tournament exploit... for We Came We Saw (2 ball multiball with all shots as super jackpots) I was able to trap a ball on the left flipper and then just repeatedly hit the left ramp from the right flipper... could see a tournament player do this all day and wonder if something that limits the number of collects (while a flipper is held up or something) needs to be instituted.

#25 7 years ago

Having to get to PKE to start a mode would make sense. I like to backhand the right loop, but it doesn't go far enough to start things.

#26 7 years ago

Updated for code 1.04 primarily in the following sections: spinner, some modes, and wizard mode qualifications. Also reordered some sections and added more eye candy. [and yes I forgot to update the date... will fix in a future version]

Still needs lots of help... especially if any of you have setup that let you record the playfield and DMD while you play and can place those on facebook (being sure to note software code version).

Ghostbusters_Rulesheet_v1.11(150dpi-p1-20).pdfGhostbusters_Rulesheet_v1.11(150dpi-p1-20).pdf

Note: To fit within file size limitations I had to save at 150dpi (so very low resolution) and cut off the last 5 pages (which included copies of all flyers, the Pre/Prem/LE comparison chart, and a few other images)

#27 7 years ago

I like the document and the updates, but have to bust you a little on something. John Tredeau was the playfield designer. Dwight crushed it on the code side of things.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I like the document and the updates, but have to bust you a little on something. John Tredeau was the playfield designer. Dwight crushed it on the code side of things.

Agree but I took the credits directly from the Credit Roll that Stern coded into 1.04. I assume they wouldn't have listed Dwight for "Game Design/Software Lead' if he didn't contribute in some way

GameCredits_(resized).jpgGameCredits_(resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Agree but I took the credits directly from the Credit Roll that Stern coded into 1.04. I assume they wouldn't have listed Dwight for "Game Design/Software Lead' if he didn't contribute in some way

Interesting. It hasn't been sitting idle enough to show the credits, so I haven't seen that bit yet.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Interesting. It hasn't been sitting idle enough to show the credits, so I haven't seen that bit yet.

It's actually a flipper code. When game is in attract mode use the flippers to enter B L R LL R LLL RR where B = both, L = left, R = Right. This was taken from the code release notes for 1.04.

There are other codes (e.g. one for Dead Flip) but I'm not aware of what they are yet.

#31 7 years ago

Found a video of Stay Puft Marshmallow Man mode... will be using to update the rulesheet.

Click on the below if you are interested.

#32 7 years ago

Not there yet, so I don't want to ruin that eventual moment. Thanks for having it here though.

I found out why I was having issues starting a lit mode, specifically the right side scenes. In "OK, who brought the dog?" I would do the left two shots first. That way, completing the mode on the right loop started the next mode. Now, If I'm on the right flipper, I can backhand the shot to get credit, but won't start the next scene. You have to make the full loop shot to start the scene. Just something to consider for everyone. Post passing on this game is super easy, so when I have that right shot left I'll just hit it from the left side and get the next mode rolling.

#33 7 years ago

You can actually use that "feature" of the right orbit shot to finish a mode and not start another... for example if you'd prefer to play a different mode that the next one on that ladder.

#34 7 years ago

True. I save the right side shot so it will roll into the next scene on that stack. But, If I was working on a different stack, backhanding that right shot and not have it go around as the last shot would let me go into a different stack. I love that it's programed that way, now that I understand it. Several ways to play this game, which is great.

#35 7 years ago

I am sure the patch notes will be more informative once they exist but some 1.05 observations:

• Storage Facility locks are lit at 10, 30 and 50 ghosts. Makes it a lot easier to start multiball.

• There is a River of Slime award that can be built up via the right orbit(?) and is collected at the SF saucer when the arrow flashes slime purple. Pretty cool subway animation for it.

• Some new Ernie callout lines being used around scoring supers and specifically doubles and triples.

• There is an option to disable "R-rated dialogue"

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

• There is a River of Slime award that can be built up via the right orbit(?) and is collected at the SF saucer when the arrow flashes slime purple. Pretty cool subway animation for it.

Please don't let this cause a GB v. GB2 debate...

Quoted from tpir:

• There is an option to disable "R-rated dialogue"

Please don't let this cause a family mode debate...

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Storage Facility locks are lit at 10, 30 and 50 ghosts. Makes it a lot easier to start multiball.

Can you still light storage facility from the Newton balls or is only by collecting ghosts?
I actually find the Newton balls work well, my plan always on the first ball is to focus on knocking the Newton balls and activate slimmer, while the ball save is still active (factory set ball save time). I would say with this strategy I'm starting Storeage facility multiball 95% of games, usually first or second ball. I can see how ghost starting Storeage would help with people not knowing that the Newton balls are linked to multiball.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

Please don't let this cause a GB v. GB2 debate...

LOL! It wont.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

Can you still light storage facility from the Newton balls or is only by collecting ghosts?

Yeah that way is way easier than to start MB than collecting ghosts....well the first time at least.

#40 7 years ago

Thanks all for the 1.05 update info!

I'm curious to see if Stern might implement a "mercy" multiball like what used to exist in some games of the past... basically to help less skilled players to see more of the game and want to put in one more $1... Something that would be on by default but could be easily turned off and automatically turned off if set up in tournament mode.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:I am sure the patch notes will be more informative once they exist but some 1.05 observations:
• Storage Facility locks are lit at 10, 30 and 50 ghosts. Makes it a lot easier to start multiball.

Does one overlap the other and cancel it out? for example you are about to light storage by collecting ghosts but then light it with the newton balls, then pass the ghost threshold but storage is already lit?

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Does one overlap the other and cancel it out? for example you are about to light storage by collecting ghosts but then light it with the newton balls, then pass the ghost threshold but storage is already lit?

Lit storage facility locks stack. For example, you get one lit from the pops as an award and then hit 30 ghosts, you can now hit the ramp twice to get two locks. Newton balls work the same and their stacking doesn't really apply since when you light the SF lock from there it stays lit until you start the multiball (Just like it always worked. Makes it worth your investment going for the captives.)

Can confirm River of Slime is the same as the Gear basically but for the right orbit. You hit the right orbit over and over to build up River Of Slime value and collect it at the SF saucer before the pink arrow times out.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Lit storage facility locks stack. For example, you get one lit from the pops as an award and then hit 30 ghosts, you can now hit the ramp twice to get two locks. Newton balls work the same and their stacking doesn't really apply since when you light the SF lock from there it stays lit until you start the multiball (Just like it always worked. Makes it worth your investment going for the captives.)
Can confirm River of Slime is the same as the Gear basically but for the right orbit. You hit the right orbit over and over to build up River Of Slime value and collect it at the SF saucer before the pink arrow times out.

Thanks, so your saying locks can be symmetrically stacked?

#44 7 years ago

Update before 1.05 drops and some LE's get into the wild... I hope that the next update after this will have lots of info related to LE/PREM specific items (e.g. ecto goggles, magnaslings, etc.). Would also be nice to remove some of the red text if any of you are so inclined... (I do what I can but without a machine of my own I only get in so many games a week and can't take the glass off to explore some of the more intricate details).

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Glad to see the river of slyme incorporated really liked that part of the movie

#46 7 years ago

1.05 is up: http://www.sternpinball.com/game-code/game-code-ghostbusters-pro

New:
- Added a River of Slime Feature. Each time you shoot the right orbit you will
build the value and start a timer on the right eject. Shooting the right
eject will collect the built value.
- Storage Facility will now light for one lock on 10, 30, and 50 ghost caught.
- Collecting ghost will show how many needed to light Storage Facility.
- Added an adjustment to allow speech to be censored.
- Added Speech to super jackpot
- Added Speech to We came we saw start

Fixes:
- Bonus Held would give extra bonus if on ball 3 and the player had an extra
ball.
- Changed the name of SPEECH and MUSIC VOLUME adjustments to SPEECH and MUSIC
ATTENUATION
- Removed Backbox and Cabinet volume adjustments
- 0X bonus multiplier will no longer be awarded from the pop bumpers.
- Removed two switches reporting false errors.

Tweaks:
- Flippers are turned off during Negative Reinforcement
- When Negative Reinforcement stops doubling the message reflects this.

1 week later
#47 7 years ago

Can anyone do a glass off test to determine the following? When in tournament mode, what is the value of the extra ball? Thanks!

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Update before 1.05 drops and some LE's get into the wild... I hope that the next update after this will have lots of info related to LE/PREM specific items (e.g. ecto goggles, magnaslings, etc.). Would also be nice to remove some of the red text if any of you are so inclined... (I do what I can but without a machine of my own I only get in so many games a week and can't take the glass off to explore some of the more intricate details).

Thanks for the rule sheet. This is very helpful!

So does the SJP value reset between balls? Or does it carry/build throughout your entire game?

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Can anyone do a glass off test to determine the following? When in tournament mode, what is the value of the extra ball? Thanks!

25Million

#50 7 years ago

Thanks Todd! Might come in handy this weekend at SFGE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

15,699 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-rulesheet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.